fiduciary

Author Topic: Graflex replicas - all the same?  (Read 9847 times)

Offline hullbreach

• Master Force User
  • Too dangerous to be kept alive
Re: Graflex replicas - all the same?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 06:23:50 PM »
Just received my jimfred Graflex handle. If anyone is looking for a Graflex, man, this one sure doesn't disappoint! Firstly, it was purchased the night of Nov 16th and received today, Nov 21st -- super fast! :) And secondly, the best part, this thing is super awesome! I'm very impressed, it's really lovely, I almost don't want to convert it it's so nice -- almost  ;)

Offline Keiran Halcyon

• Force User
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 09:55:36 AM »
The Graflex replica from King Of Parts IS NOT the same as the one from parks or TCSS.  I have a King Of Parts replica and it is sized differently, made from thicker material, has a mis-shapen clamp, has a funny pin for the "ears".  It's usable as a display piece with no electronics, but it's a pain to work with.  I'll take the Parks replica any day.

My Graflex is from King Of Parts. what do u mean by funny pin and mis-shapen clamp my looks fine

Offline JudgeSabersmith

• Kind of on haitus
  • Master Force User
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 10:35:27 AM »
The Graflex replica from King Of Parts IS NOT the same as the one from parks or TCSS.  I have a King Of Parts replica and it is sized differently, made from thicker material, has a mis-shapen clamp, has a funny pin for the "ears".  It's usable as a display piece with no electronics, but it's a pain to work with.  I'll take the Parks replica any day.

My Graflex is from King Of Parts. what do u mean by funny pin and mis-shapen clamp my looks fine

A replica from Parks (which is the same one from jimfred on eBay) has a screw for the "ears".  Also, the ears on that model are designed so they are aligned, where the King of Parts replica has them offset a bit.  The King of Parts clamp is sized in such a way that bubble strips or cards don't fit well and even when tightened down, they are sloppy and loose.

I parted out my King of Parts for it's clamp for a MHS-based Obi-Wan ANH, and even after grinding down the tabs on the inside and foregoing a sinktube sleeve, the clamp, even after tightening all the way down to fit tight against a MHS diameter - the card is still loose in the clamp.

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • You don't want to sell me death sticks.
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2008, 11:07:14 AM »
Just received my jimfred Graflex handle. If anyone is looking for a Graflex, man, this one sure doesn't disappoint! Firstly, it was purchased the night of Nov 16th and received today, Nov 21st -- super fast! :) And secondly, the best part, this thing is super awesome! I'm very impressed, it's really lovely, I almost don't want to convert it it's so nice -- almost  ;)

Good to hear, hullbreach.  So I take it now you won't be following through with that insane convert-a-graflex-LE-idea?  :D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 11:09:20 AM by OBI-WAN KENOBI »

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 11:13:36 AM »
After the holidays are all over, ...I want to build a Luke ESB. It looks like jimfred is gonna be the way to go then,..correct?

I've put off making a graflex long enough, ...everyone should have one!

Offline hullbreach

• Master Force User
  • Too dangerous to be kept alive
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 02:09:50 PM »
So I take it now you won't be following through with that insane convert-a-graflex-LE-idea?  :D

Well, technically, I am insane, yes, but not *too* grossly stupid. So I'll heed the good advice on these forums and leave those poor LEs alone :D

After the holidays are all over, ...I want to build a Luke ESB. It looks like jimfred is gonna be the way to go then,..correct?

All the way, you'll love it!  ;)

Offline Keiran Halcyon

• Force User
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008, 08:22:02 PM »

A replica from Parks (which is the same one from jimfred on eBay) has a screw for the "ears".  Also, the ears on that model are designed so they are aligned, where the King of Parts replica has them offset a bit.  The King of Parts clamp is sized in such a way that bubble strips or cards don't fit well and even when tightened down, they are sloppy and loose.

I parted out my King of Parts for it's clamp for a MHS-based Obi-Wan ANH, and even after grinding down the tabs on the inside and foregoing a sinktube sleeve, the clamp, even after tightening all the way down to fit tight against a MHS diameter - the card is still loose in the clamp.

my ears have a screw. and my clamp lines up with the brass pins on the side

retrousse