fiduciary

Author Topic: Luxeon kit questions  (Read 3380 times)

Offline RiseLordVader

• No Force
Luxeon kit questions
« on: October 22, 2008, 07:02:58 AM »
I'm going to build two Luxeon sabers with Ultrasoundboards and I plan to buy a Graflex replica and a MPP Flash replica from Parks as the hilts.

I think I'll order two Lux V kits from TCSS but my problem is that I have to decide a lot of things which I don't know.
What's the difference between a 5 and a 10 collimator lens?
What resistor is best? 3.3 Ohm 5W resistor or Buckpuck 700mA?
What is a MOM switch?
And the last thing is that I couldn't find any images showing what blue colour is the most movie-like? Blue, royal blue or cyan?

I know some of you will advice me to search the forums, but I've already spent lots of hours with no success, and I need to order the kits quickly to have them sent along with my USB soundboards.
Thanks!

Offline The Rebel

• Formerly known as Kyuubi
  • Master Force User
  • Rebel by nature, comedian by choice.
Re: Luxeon kit questions
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 07:08:43 AM »
I think this question would be best asked in another area. This is more of a question aimed at TCSS, not Ultrasabers.

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 07:28:34 AM »
I'm going to build two Luxeon sabers with Ultrasoundboards and I plan to buy a Graflex replica and a MPP Flash replica from Parks as the hilts.

I think I'll order two Lux V kits from TCSS but my problem is that I have to decide a lot of things which I don't know.
What's the difference between a 5 and a 10 collimator lens?
What resistor is best? 3.3 Ohm 5W resistor or Buckpuck 700mA?
What is a MOM switch?
And the last thing is that I couldn't find any images showing what blue colour is the most movie-like? Blue, royal blue or cyan?

[/quote]
A 5 degree is best used with a 3/4 blade and a 10 degree is best used with a 1 inch blade
If you are using an Ultrasound board to provide light and sound you will not need a resistor or Buckpuck.
Momentary switch. FYI Ultrasound you do not want a latching momentary.
For a Graflex Saber, if it's A New Hope style Cyan Bin1 (rare led)
If it's  ESB Royal Blue bin 5 or 6

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline RiseLordVader

• No Force
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 10:24:52 AM »
Thanks a lot for the answer!

Now the last thing I need are the blades. I would like a blade for display and medium battle also, and I like if the blade is evenly lit. What blade film, diffuser and tube will be the best?

Seems like Corbin has the movieposter look which I don't like that much, but I have a hard time seeing the difference between TCSS and Ultrablades?!

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 10:32:48 AM »
Thanks a lot for the answer!

Now the last thing I need are the blades. I would like a blade for display and medium battle also, and I like if the blade is evenly lit. What blade film, diffuser and tube will be the best?

Seems like Corbin has the movieposter look which I don't like that much, but I have a hard time seeing the difference between TCSS and Ultrablades?!

Hands down, if you are not liking the look of he Corbin Single Wraps...

Duelling = Heavy Grade UltraBlade

Show and light sparring = Mid Grade UltraBlade.

Now this does not go to say that you cannot get a Double or even a Quad wrap Corbin Blade (More wraps evens the blade out)

You could even get fancy and use a dual Film combo blade, but you would have to either make it yourself or go to Do-Clo Custom Sabers with an inquiry. Do-Clo Makes some GREAT Dual film blades, and I do recommend them HIGHLY! 8) He uses Corbin film and Polypropylene. This evens out the blade, but still gives it a little of the coring and "scroll" effect.

Offline RiseLordVader

• No Force
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 10:41:19 AM »
The Do-clo sounds sweet, but I wonder if this double wrap affects the brightness of the saber?
Is a thin walled tube as durable as a stock MR or?
Blades with Ultra's film are only to be found at his own page right?

Oh it's going to cost me a lot in shipping overseas from all these different sources! :P

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 11:23:39 AM »
The Do-clo sounds sweet, but I wonder if this double wrap affects the brightness of the saber?
Is a thin walled tube as durable as a stock MR or?
Blades with Ultra's film are only to be found at his own page right?

Oh it's going to cost me a lot in shipping overseas from all these different sources! :P

It HELPS the brightness.

Offline RiseLordVader

• No Force
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 10:47:31 AM »
A do-clo blade will cost me around 20$ more than the TCSS blade due to shipping, so do you think it's worth it?

Also is a thinwalled blade as durable as a stock MR blade?

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 11:23:05 AM »
1. I think so, but I like Ultrablades better than a straight corbin flim blade. The do-clo is a mix of these two.
2. more so.

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

retrousse