fiduciary

Author Topic: Question for the Graflex Gurus...  (Read 3290 times)

Offline Katarn

• Experienced Force User
Question for the Graflex Gurus...
« on: March 07, 2008, 08:24:51 PM »
So i was wondering:
Is the 2 cell graflex the same size from the clamp to the emitter?
reason i'm asking is if they are indeed the same, would i be able to get a 2 cell authentic graflex, then buy a repro 3 cell, and just use the repro for the bottom half?

has anyone done this? or am i talking crazy?
its so hard to find a 3 cell authentic graflex (complete) flash tube in good shape these days... for a decent price anyway.

thanks in advance!
Korbanth LS6 Hero PC 1.6 conversion by LDM (next best thing to the MkVI)
TCSS MHS #1 "Coppertop"
Vintage Graflex ANH

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
Re: Question for the Graflex Gurus...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 08:49:40 PM »
AS far as I know you are partly correct.  Yes the upper section is the same it is the lower that is shorter.  BUT I believe that the Parks is a bit different on the diameter so not quite sure how it would mate with the clamp.  PM Yoda as he uses both sets.  You might be able to shim it in there.  IMO I would just get a Parks complete one.  Besides you might not be able to get just the lower half.

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 09:10:49 PM »
The Replicas and Vintages are all subject to some size inconsistencies but over all most are interchangeable
and most gaps can be taken up by using an aluminum tape.

This is providing they are close enough and only parks and Vintages are interchangeable because they
are almost Identical.

Beware of the "graflex reborn" and other knock offs that are much larger in diameter and are not as good
in many other ways
::)

P.S.
I need to move this in to the Graflex projects board located on top of this Graflex section ;)

MTFBWY
always
YODA

Offline Katarn

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 02:35:19 AM »
sweet!
thanks gang!
you are two of the three i was hoping to hear from.  ;)

yeah i am weary of the ebay sellers i found, but in the case i find a parks for cheap, and find a good 2 cell for cheaper, i can just combine them since 2 cell graflex are easily found for under $40.

i would just use the whole parks but jeez i hope i dont have to pay that much when its not the real deal. sure its really nice, but if its not authentic it should be like half the price, IMO.

well, this is a "one of these days..." type of project anyway. but thanks for your input. makes things much easier now that i know it could work.
 :)
Korbanth LS6 Hero PC 1.6 conversion by LDM (next best thing to the MkVI)
TCSS MHS #1 "Coppertop"
Vintage Graflex ANH

Offline robiwan

• Banned
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 04:55:36 AM »
Someone else was working on a Graflex who had a real top and replica bottom. A wrap of aluminum tape should do the trick like mentioned. I have thought of picking up the cheaper 2 cell as well to retro fit to my Parks Graflex.
Disrespectful and Condescending to Staff.

Offline MoonDragn

• Force User
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 07:28:30 AM »
sweet!
thanks gang!
you are two of the three i was hoping to hear from.  ;)

yeah i am weary of the ebay sellers i found, but in the case i find a parks for cheap, and find a good 2 cell for cheaper, i can just combine them since 2 cell graflex are easily found for under $40.

i would just use the whole parks but jeez i hope i dont have to pay that much when its not the real deal. sure its really nice, but if its not authentic it should be like half the price, IMO.

well, this is a "one of these days..." type of project anyway. but thanks for your input. makes things much easier now that i know it could work.
 :)

Have you checked the prices lately? I've been seeing prices around $80-110 for 2 cell graflexes.

retrousse