fiduciary

Author Topic: Red Hyperblade now complete*  (Read 2256 times)

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
Red Hyperblade now complete*
« on: December 19, 2010, 10:00:37 PM »
Been working on my red hyperblade for some time. It was a few months to gather the components and then I couldn't get the config setting right for the mini SD card before putting the whole thing together.

So thanks to draftnbyu on these forums selling me his blue hyperblade, because thanks to his settings which came on the mini SD he sent me in the blue lightsaber, I simply copied them over to my red's mini SD, and all is well! See the short video of them both at work:

The best part is, his settings have Darth Vader's voice, which is perfect for the MR Anakin hilt the red hyperblade is in! Beauty!

Edit: Check out the final video of 'Devastator' here:

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 07:05:04 AM by SpaceWindu »

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
Re: Red Hyperblade nearly complete
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 06:16:21 AM »
love the sabers mate very nice indeed..
its great when they just work as they should isnt it... are you planning anymore hypers?

by the way hows the blue hyperblade running lately? you were having problems last time, any other issues?

also what settings do you use on your hypersabers? brightness levels, flicker etc
and what run times do you get from that 3 cell stick battery?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 06:25:35 AM by darthsteve »

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline EXAR KUN

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 11:54:05 AM »
3 cell stick lasts FOREVER lol, but it won't fit into the final build. I'll be using the smaller tri-pack hyperdyne 11.1v, which will probably get about 30 minutes run time. I use one of the medium brightness settings and I think the #3 flicker.

Still having trouble with the blue one. I took it halfway apart yesterday and checked the soundboard connection and tried to connect that part better but the saber is still shutting off alot. I think the real problem is with the power port and connects for the battery must be loose. Gonna have to completely dissassemble the blue one to totally fix it. I thought it might be easy and simply be a sound card connection problem but it's more than that, and the internals are in the middle of the hilt so I will have to remove the shroud for that. Last night I configured the blue one with a blade retention thumbscrew to hold the blade in. I didn't realize it only had a blade holder but nothing to hold the blade system into the blade holder. I fixed that problem with the thumbscrew, although the emitter isn't such a clean design anymore, as it now has a silver thumbscrew poking out. It was totally necessary, however, because when I swinging it around the blade fell out and was hanging by the wires! So I had to take care of that.

I have off today so I've been getting the guts ready for the red install. I think the red one will be quite nice but I'm not doing blinkies or the vibe motor in that one. Hopefully once it's together it will operate smoothly. So far today I changed out the switch to a nice chrome switch from TCSS and then I had some dremeling to do but my dremel BROKE!

My dad is coming over with his dremel so I can continue preparing the MR Anakin hilt for the red saber. Should have a working video of that fully operational later if all goes well. The only thing I will have to get for it still will be a speaker mount for the pommel. I figure for video demo I can tape it in place until I get to Home Depot for a proper metal bottom piece that i can configure with mesh or holes for the sound.

In the future, I'd like to make a green and a purple hyperblade, as green is my favorite saber blade color.

Offline EXAR KUN

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 11:14:56 PM »
Red Hyperblade is finished enough to make a demo video. It's pretty awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlDygWfmweY

Got the blue hyperblade making some cameos in this video. Assembled the red one today and got my first major lesson in Kram-Fu! Two boards, 11.1 v lithium pack, in-hilt recharge, and switch box plus the speaker is alot to manage. Kudos to all the great saber-smiths who do this regularly! It's such a challenge even though most of the hyperblade stuff is plug-and-play.
Requires FULL concentration, all eyes on the prize and no wandering eyes and NO TEXTING lol because this is SERIOUS!

For real though got it all together minus a speaker cover but I'll take care of that tomorrow because it got so late tonight for anything more. Got some electrical tape holding the speaker on for this video but I'll make something good tomorrow.

If you want to see a close up of the saber hilt (it's a MR Anakin mostly), fast forward to the 2:01 mark in the video.
I'll post stills when it's really ready.

Offline EXAR KUN

• Master Force User
Re: Red Hyperblade now complete*
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 07:13:56 AM »
Just finished the red hyperblade I've been working on for months. One of the ongoing problems I was experiencing was the saber shorting out now and then on a hard swing. I fixed this by isolating the components in the hilt using, in some cases, double shrink tube layers. I don't know why one layer wasn't enough, but two layers is really working better and reduced the problem by at least 50%. It works MUCH better now.
Going to perform that fix to my blue hyperblade also, and use the powers of ISOLATION in two other hypers I am constructing as well. Also, DarthSteve gave me some great advice on how to further enhance my hyperblade's performance. Thanks DS!

Made a video of the final piece. It's got all the finishing details. Watch the video using the second link in the first post or here:

Offline RedArc

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 09:50:41 AM »
Great job !

The ignition effect is just awesome !

I think an LED blade saber is the next must have thing on my list ^^

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 10:25:14 AM »
it looks and sounds fantastic mate  8) well done!!!

nice touch hiding the led strip shadows... im glad your getting them working correctly
its terribly frustrating when they dont want to play

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3