fiduciary

Author Topic: "Muddy" blue blade?  (Read 12087 times)

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
Re: "Muddy" blue blade?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 12:48:32 PM »
Nothing to do!
i've try differents things but i think it have something to do with the leds.

here's a link to see what the blade look like.
http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/l530/brakvador/Hyperblade%20test/

What is that about!!?

Here's my take from watching the video and looking at the pictures:

Most Likely-
A. The blade is wrapped incorrectly or with incorrect foam
B. The blade is a heavy-dueling version and the LED's are bent and facing in wrong directions
C. There are LED's out along the blade

Less Likely-
A. Those LED's are not all the exact same 'Bin' or color
B. LED's aren't completely out but there are some flickering or dimming along the blade structure

Offline Matt Thorn

• Experienced Force User
    • Köjin Köbö
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 06:50:26 PM »
its not the leds its the nylon blade mine was similar the inside of the blade had
marks and bubbles making the outside appear muddy it something impossible to notice untill you have it lit up, do like i did and use another blade i recomend the ultraedge blade thats what i used for my hyperblade and the result was perfect
If only it were that simple. I tried various blades and diffusers, including a TCSS Trans White and recycled Force FX foam. It looks horrible in any configuration.
Nothing to do!
i've try differents things but i think it have something to do with the leds.

here's a link to see what the blade look like.
http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/l530/brakvador/Hyperblade%20test/
That's what mine looks like.
What is that about!!?

Here's my take from watching the video and looking at the pictures:

Most Likely-
A. The blade is wrapped incorrectly or with incorrect foam
No.
B. The blade is a heavy-dueling version and the LED's are bent and facing in wrong directions
No.
C. There are LED's out along the blade
No.
Less Likely-
A. Those LED's are not all the exact same 'Bin' or color
This seems the most likely.
B. LED's aren't completely out but there are some flickering or dimming along the blade structure
That would be hard to explain.

BrakVador, I strongly recommend you return the blade to Hyperdyne and avoid blue HyperBlades. I've built sabers with red, green, and blue HyperBlades, and it seems to me the blue version is inherently flawed, perhaps because slight differences in brightness show up more clearly in blue than in red or green.
There's always a bigger fish.

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 09:02:11 AM »
hmm well i can only go by my own experience and the blade was horrible with the nylon blade and i mean HORRIBLE the definition of a muddy blade!!! and when i swapped it out for an ultraedge the result was truly fantastic 100% better
i then tested the nylon with a small torch i had and i could see loads of little imperfections inside the blade which would only show up when lit
check these 2 pics this is before and after
the 1st pic the hyperblade (blue saber) looks horrible "muddy"

and the 2nd pic is after i used an ultraedge.. i think you will agree its 100 times better

need anymore convincing matt?? in your case it probly just needs diffused properly in that 2nd pic the leds are wrapped in a good wrap of ...cling film works supprisingly well

i can tell you whats happening in that 1st pic the hyperblade led strip has 2 tubes to shine through the main blade and an innertube and if either has imperfections on them the end result looks awful so i removed the inner tube completely and replace that with a wrap of cling film mainly to protect the leds from hitting the inside of the ultraedge

end result is awesome again i can only go from my own experience it took alot of trial and error to get it looking as good as it does now
i tried the original foam from an mr blade too and that just looks rubbish too the led shaddowing was still present
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 09:49:19 AM by darthsteve »

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline Matt Thorn

• Experienced Force User
    • Köjin Köbö
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2011, 09:22:09 AM »
Darth Steve, you convinced me to place my first ever order for a pair of Ultraedge blades. The TCSS Transwhite must not be opaque enough for the blue Hyperblade.

And, yes, I wholeheartedly agree that Hyperdyne's nylon blades are truly awful. They're not even straight.

Offline BrakVador

• No Force
  • MAY THE FORCE BE WITH ME
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 03:46:40 PM »
Hi,
@ Matt, i think you're right !
Maybe i will try to send this to hyperdyne, i send them my video but they didn't answer.
@ spacewindu, i think you're right about the leds they're not all the same, but for the foam it's hyperdynes one it was with the strip i've received.
I even try some other foam, but not better, the better was 2 wrap of foam but i lost brightness!
The nylon tubing is their too, that's the one they send me.
@ Darthsteve, i already try with an ultraedge, i've got one heavy duelling but when i tryied it, i could see all the leds, not a good solution for me. What is a cling film ?
I'm waiting for the answer of hyperdynelabs.
Thanks to all of you to try helping me this way  ;)
I would really like to find a solution, cause i'm in France and to send back to hyperdyne, would be very long time (and sorry for my english i do my best!).
Bye.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:13:07 PM by BrakVador »
My sabers:
VADER ANH HASBRO 2007 (ULTRASABER CONVERSION)
MACE WINDU MR 2005
VADER ESB MR ( IN CONVERSION BY MYSELF)
1ST CUSTOM SABER

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 05:35:28 PM »
cling film... usually used to cover food or sandwiches its like a cleare see through wrap comes on a roll
its not ideal but it does diffuse it rather well and adds a padded protective wall to protect the leds

OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline Lord Xeno

• Master Force User
  • Sith...they mostly come out at night. Mostly.
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 08:38:42 PM »
Steve is that all you're using inside the UltraEdge blade, just the cling wrap? no foam? about how many wraps would you say is required? a ton?

What grade blade, mid or heavy?  i'm thinking heavy would be best because it's more opaque.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 08:40:46 PM by toddshogun »

Offline Matt Thorn

• Experienced Force User
    • Köjin Köbö
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 09:04:39 PM »
I found that polyethylene film was pretty useless. Is the idea behing the cling film that it scatters light more sharply (if less smoothly) than polyethylene, but the lack of smoothness is compensated for by the opaque Ultraedge blade?

Offline Lord Xeno

• Master Force User
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 10:35:56 PM »
That makes sense to me. Clear gift wrap is a great diffuser for certain applications, but for string blades the less smoothly the light is diffused, the better the result, which is why foam is a popular choice.  Perhaps the cling wrap/UltraEdge combination is the solution.  Another issue i think may be contributing to the corn on the cob effect is that the LED ladder inside the blade tends to move around somewhat and gets closer to the inner wall of the blade.  perhaps with enough cling film wrapped around it you can prevent this and make sure the ladder is more centered.

I have found that the UltraEdge is a very unique blade. Some say that the TCSS Trans white is basically the same thing but that is totally false. The way the UltraEdge handles the light inside of it is much different, and much more effective. I've done comparisons and the trans white is much dimmer using the exact same LED than the UltraEdge, and is less opaque.

Offline BrakVador

• No Force
  • MAY THE FORCE BE WITH ME
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 04:58:57 AM »
Ok,
Thanks for explain cling film, i looked on google pictures and i understood quickly.

That's make no sense, Hyperdynelabs looked at my pictures and video and said that looks good!
But for me that's not uniform at all, and that's not what i was waiting for.
I really wanted one hyperblade cause i though that looked awesome but that's a deception...
Anyway i will try with cling film and my ultra edge to have a better result, cause @Dathsteve i liked what i saw on your picture!
Thanks again!
My sabers:
VADER ANH HASBRO 2007 (ULTRASABER CONVERSION)
MACE WINDU MR 2005
VADER ESB MR ( IN CONVERSION BY MYSELF)
1ST CUSTOM SABER

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 12:50:41 PM »
Steve is that all you're using inside the UltraEdge blade, just the cling wrap? no foam? about how many wraps would you say is required? a ton?

What grade blade, mid or heavy?  i'm thinking heavy would be best because it's more opaque.

a good wrap,, enough so its padded inside. mid blade
the blade looks awesome and so bright

all you need is a good thick wrap of clingfilm and it "pads" the leds and protects them inside the blade.. not as good protection as foam but you get the ladder effect from the leds more with using foam and i hate that look
downside is its defo not duel worthy but then i dont beleive a hyperblade is even with foam iv seen them break easily they are however the best looking show blades in my view

OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline Matt Thorn

• Experienced Force User
    • Köjin Köbö
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
My Ultraedge just arrived, and with Force FX foam, it is now passable. I don't suppose ordinary Saran Wrap would work as well as cling film?

The big problem: the blade is too short! I may have to cut the Hyperblade down an inch or two.

Offline Lord Xeno

• Master Force User
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2011, 07:09:07 PM »
My Ultraedge just arrived, and with Force FX foam, it is now passable. I don't suppose ordinary Saran Wrap would work as well as cling film?

What's the difference?  Is the cling film thicker or something?

The big problem: the blade is too short! I may have to cut the Hyperblade down an inch or two.

The Ultrasabers are 36", and i think the Hypers are around 40"....Steve said he had to stuff the extra lengths from the internals into the hilt to make it work. Also, another issue is the UltraEdge does not have a shine-through tip like the hypers.  Probably not a big deal though.

Offline Matt Thorn

• Experienced Force User
    • Köjin Köbö
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 08:59:54 PM »
What's the difference?  Is the cling film thicker or something?
The films may have fundamentally different diffusing qualities. If Darth Steve knows, I'd rather learn from him than find out by wasting a few meters of Saran Wrap. ;)
The Ultrasabers are 36", and i think the Hypers are around 40"....Steve said he had to stuff the extra lengths from the internals into the hilt to make it work.
That's not a neat solution if you want to make your blade removable. This is how I prefer to finish my Hyperblades:

Also, another issue is the UltraEdge does not have a shine-through tip like the hypers.  Probably not a big deal though.
Ugh. Those Hyperdyne tips are unusable. They have no shoulder, and just lie flat on the end of the blade. Hard to imagine they would stay on for long.

Offline Lord Xeno

• Master Force User
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2011, 07:38:55 PM »
Matt -- nice removable blade install!  Did you get it to work with the UltraEdge?  Also, how long overall is the stock Hyperblade Nylon blade you had in it before?

retrousse