fiduciary

Author Topic: THE PURPLE HYPERBLADE IS HERE  (Read 17909 times)

Offline Sidneyious

• Alias......Ninja of the Mist
  • Master Force User
    • Blog of my saber builds.
THE PURPLE HYPERBLADE IS HERE
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 04:20:32 PM »
But i was saying that he said purple blade not purple leds.

theres a big diff between the 2.

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 05:04:21 PM »
Every (good) purple LED I have ever seen had a clear casing. 

However, there are some that have a purple acrylic paint on a white LED. They call then "blacklight" led's and to be honest...they are terribly non-uniform in their lighting, and are quite uncommon. So the best bet is to go with the Clear casing styled ones. They are higher output, and are truly a nice purple color.

Offline Sidneyious

• Master Force User
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2008, 05:23:45 PM »
Aluke is partly correct, there are purple 7mm and smaller leds, but theres no purple lux leds cause there isent a gas that makes purple.

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 05:24:36 PM »
 ;D

That blade sure looks real brite!! :o

Offline jetsaber

• Master Force User
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 06:32:45 PM »
Do they sell UV goggles with the blade ? LOL
Do not be upset please if it is for real I will be waiting ?

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • You don't want to sell me death sticks.
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 08:18:14 PM »
But i was saying that he said purple blade not purple leds.

theres a big diff between the 2.

We're kinda splitting hairs here man.

The comment about the blade logically, by extension, refers to the LEDs too.  I mean doesn't the blade require LEDs to light up?

True purple blade = True purple LEDs

Offline Jedibum

• WOLF IN SHEEPS CLOTHING
  • Force User
    • Hyperdyne Labs
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 08:37:26 PM »
Jedimoves, I'm with you on this one.  Everyone that refers to "blade colors" is referring to the color of the LED (or LED's).  That's a given wether you are using a Luxeon or a component blade.  No one is talking about the color of the blade.  When Jedimoves said "purple blade" he, of course, was referring to the color of the LED's just the same as when I say I am building a luxeon saber with a green blade ... I mean the color of the Luxeon powering it.

Darth Tyranus - Good info!  As my picture shows, it was a clear LED ... so I am still not sure what Aluke123 meant by "purple shell" as it is clearly creating the color on it's own and without any kind of paint or covering.

jetsaber - From what I understand, Jim did take a look at some UV led's ... but he was worried about UV exposure and he wasn't as happy with the over all look.  With these new purple blades you will not need any UV protection.

It looks like creating a purple LED is very possible.  Luxeons are a different animal than other LED's ... and for some reason they are unable to utilize what is necessary to create a purple color, but it appears the "gases" (or whatever term you want to use) that create a purple color are very possible.

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 09:31:14 PM »
Jedibum, thanks for your continued input regarding this matter.   8)

Offline Ultra

• Master Force User
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2008, 11:07:18 PM »
Aluke is correct, Phillips can't make true purple single wafer LED's, nor can any other LED maker.

They just flat out cannot exist for a simple reason:

There is no such thing as a wavelength of purple light, as purple only exists as a combination.  Therefore, a single wafer LED can never produce a real purple since it is an extraspectral color.

Violet is the closest spectral purple-looking color that single wafer LED's can achieve, and yes, even Phillips can make violet Luxeons if they wanted to but there is just no demand for it. 

White LED's diffused with purple lighting gels, or any one of the numerous ways of combining red and blue light, are still the only way to get a real purple.

So technically, true purple blades have been around for years, true purple-LED blades don't exist, and this isn't a true purple-LED blade either, it's a violet LED blade.  But, it's probably close enough for most people since Mace Windu's saber was violet, yet they called it purple.

None the less, that does not diminish this achievment in any way, my hat is off to Jim for making a true violet blade using true violet LED's.  Certainly no one has done that before and I'm sure it's "purple looking enough" for the critics.

So, speaking of diffused light, when is Jim going to experiment with white LED's on his hyperblades and colored blade sleeves?  White LED's are becoming brighter, more effecient, less expensive, and much more common than their colored LED counterparts.  I think the ability to just slide a colored sleeve over a white hyperblade would be very popular.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2008, 12:23:31 AM »
Couldnt coloured sleeves work for Lux sabers too?

To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline 2saberjedi

• Force User
  • in darkness we are the lite
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2008, 12:55:19 AM »
I think the ability to just slide a colored sleeve over a white hyperblade would be very popular.

im with Ultra on that

im looking into converting my ESB Luke with a hyperblade so i would love to have diff colors

Offline Sidneyious

• Master Force User
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2008, 01:50:08 AM »
I shal continue this discussion in the led sabers section as to not clog up this post with led stuff.

So over there to the led sabers forum!

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2008, 09:52:10 AM »
Ultra is correct about the specific color of the LED being violet, and not purple per se.  Mark had mentioned that point before, on the youtube comments I believe.  Thanks for the clarification, Ultra.

I don't really make a distinction between purple and violet, that's why I'v been referring to the LEDs as true purple, rather than true violet.  :)

Offline Jedibum

• Force User
    • Hyperdyne Labs
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2008, 01:45:00 PM »
I feel like this is starting to sound like a conversation with my girlfriend lol. 

I have seen the article on wikipedia before about violet and purple and the distinction in their names and the chromaticity diagram and all that.  The main thing I took away from it was that what I, and most people, think purple should look like is actually violet.  Purple is actually a bunch of colors almost all of which look nothing like what you think purple should look like.  And violet is just about right on the money.  So when I see what I think is purple, I'm calling it purple.

Aluke you were correct, the technical term for what Purple real is, is not possible.  I thought that it was, but thanks to Ultra's post and TheDisturbance posting on youtube, I remember now that it is really violet that is possible and not purple. 

So ...  luxeons could be made in a purple color but not only are they not in demand but I am hearing also that it is MUCH more difficult than any of the other colors.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 02:44:39 PM by Jedibum »
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Offline Jedibum

• Force User
    • Hyperdyne Labs
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2008, 04:22:54 PM »
Good point about the voltage and current draw issues.  I remember Jim saying he was running some tests on these purple blades regarding that issue.
Amendment I

retrousse