fiduciary

Author Topic: Computer HD crash  (Read 2865 times)

Offline Acerocket

• Formerly known as Wat Tambor
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
Computer HD crash
« on: January 04, 2012, 02:44:55 PM »
Went away for the holidays to spend time with the family.  When I returned today, I started up the work computer to find out that the HD had failed.  No clue as to why as it has been shut down for two weeks and unplugged.  I will be able to recover most my files and programs as I have the original discs, backups, etc.  The one thing I cannot get back is archived emails.  They were saved to the computer to free up space on the server they are normally stored on.

I lost all the saved correspondence and information for the Obi TPM run.  I also lost a lot of archived conversations with many customers.  I don't know how long it will take me to get everything back to normal, but if you had business with me and do not hear from me regarding it, resend me the email so I can get back on track.  It will also take me a little extra work to get the Obi TPM stuff back up to par.

Please bear with me while I work through this problem.  I am not trying to ignore anyone, if I seem like I am ignoring you, I probably lost your email and forgot to reply to you.  Just remind me if this is the case.

Thanks

Offline Vale

• Padawan Learner
Re: Computer HD crash
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 03:00:11 PM »
i emailed you a few times to follow up on our december 6, 2011 conversation regarding your obi tpm run.  if there is still a slot open please let me know as i am ready and willing.  if i'm too late, please also let me know so i can make other arrangements.  thank you.

Offline xl97

• Force User
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 03:00:39 PM »
you can remove your HD's and search through them most likely..  

if you used Outlook or Outlook express all your emails (folders too) are saved in a .pst file (Outlook) and ...I forget the format of the Outlook Express files..  (.wab for address book and .dbx for the email files I believe)

you can hook these up to another computer or use a 'breakout' enclosure type to put the HD in.

Offline Scruffy Nerf Herder

• #1 supporter of Jar Jar for EPVII main lead character
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 03:05:44 PM »
Has this affected recent PM's as well?  I sent one 3 or 4 days ago that I have not heard back on.

Offline Vale

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 03:09:07 PM »
not sure how computer savy you are, but there are still ways to recover data from a physically damaged hard drive as well.  hard disk recovery software can still read info off a damaged disk, so if there is valuable info you need on the disk, there's still hope.

Offline Acerocket

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 03:58:23 PM »
Thanks all.  I still have all the PM's everyone has sent recently here.  Just been busy winding up vacation and driving 1000 miles back from California.  Today's setback has put some delay in getting back to everyone.  I also have most current emails (last two to three weeks as I haven't archived emails since then) for the past few weeks.  Again, just have not had a chance to get back to everyone with the holidays and such.

Don't use Outlook.  I have MSN and they save the emails to a hidden folder on the computer.  I know where they are (or were) and how to move them - done it a couple times.  But the HD isn't readable at all.  I already tried an enclosure and it just beeps in there too.  I dropped it off at a computer Guru in town a few hours ago.  He says probably not much chance but he will take a look.  Most everything else I can recover/reload from backups.  The saved emails are a problem.  I may just have to write them off and start fresh and hope I can eventually get all the important notes and info I needed back soon enough.

Offline vvenom

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 05:15:59 PM »
Hey Wat sorry to here your HDD trouble hope all works out

Offline Obi-Shane

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 12:10:56 AM »
You can put in in the freezer for a few hours, then try again. Sounds weird I know, but it's worked for me before.

Shane

Offline vvenom

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 12:50:02 AM »
+1 for the freezer idea worked for to at least till i got all my data off it

Offline djobitwan7

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 07:55:19 AM »
Just a thought, but doesn't MSN use online e-mailing? I know when I used outlook or outlook express, they download from the server (whoever the provider is), then saves on the hard drive.

Like say, I use charter cable. There is an option to keep said e-mails on the server, but also download to your hard drive and you won't lose any of your e-mails. It may not be organized, unless you made folders on the online side. Sorry to hear about your e-mail woes. Just paying it forward what I know.

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 10:04:20 AM »
hi wat sorry to hear you troubles with the harddrive..
you say you have lost all coresponding info on the obi tmp run.. do we all need to send you our details again? addresses etc

hope you are up and running soon

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline Acerocket

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 11:05:57 AM »
Actually, I dodged a bullet on the Obi info.  Those emails were saved on the MSN server so I can still access them.  I don't think it will be too much of an issue.  I had cleared up almost all the outstanding work and don't have too much set in stone for early this year so I don't think the loss of the emails will amount too much of a concern.

Offline LUKE SKYWALKER

• Formerly Egon Mcgregor
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Keeper of the Graflex
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 11:16:12 AM »
sorry to hear that Wat :-\ take your time to recover your data!

retrousse