fiduciary

Author Topic: Black Mamba for Pfockerchief  (Read 5689 times)

Offline EXAR KUN

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
Black Mamba for Pfockerchief
« on: October 14, 2018, 08:07:50 PM »
Hey there Saber Friends,

This is perhaps the most special lightsaber ever. One of only seven ever made, this one is Pfockercheif's, the

BLACK MAMBA

by

Slothfurnace and Acerocket on FX-Sabers forum:

The Black Mamba - a joint Wat Tambor/slothfurnace endeavor

This was a five year journey from designs by Slothfurnace to full machining and preparation by Acerocket.
With over 200 parts that make up the skeletal hilt design, and exterior hoses hiding the wires to operate the electronics, the installation was a step-by-step process.
To make a change was to undo several days of work. Jedi patience was needed! I'll show you guys the step by step on how the hilt went together in the next post.

Read up on the above links to learn more about this lightsaber and it's history. Of course I could not have completed this without Acerocket's wonderful guided tutorial with pictures.

This is pretty true-to-life of how the color of the blade looks with most of the lights off:

And here it is with most of my lights on:

Specs:

- #5 out of 7 Orbital Machining and Slothfurnace Black Mamba Lightsaber Hilt
- Plecter Labs Crystal Shard 4.5 wired for Plecter Pixel with special permissions from Yoda from FX Sabers and Erv from Plecter Labs
- Special Effects on the blade
- Custom Amber Enhanced RGB blade with over a million possible colors and 250 LEDs in the blade
- Real crystal in the chamber with blade matching RGB pixel
- High capacity 10 Amp 3.7 Lithium Ion Battery with custom charge key
- Onboard R.I.C.E. port for changing settings through your computer
- TCSS Blade connector with pogo pins and TCSS blade connector

video: BLACKMAMBA - YouTube

See Pfockerchief's Facebook post with more excellent pictures:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/1553748611608080/permalink/2145264665789802/

The Black Mamba is even going to be included in the Old Republic video game:

And even in staff form if you can believe it!

« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 08:37:33 PM by EXAR KUN »

Offline EXAR KUN

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
Re: Black Mamba for Pfockerchief
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 08:08:44 PM »
Assembling the Black Mamba

The hilt came like this:

Beautiful, right off the bat.

I was working in my space ship on the lightsaber work bench using Slothfurnace drawings that came with the saber for inspiration on how to do certain things and the intentions of the original designs:

Organization is key, and I had plenty of these small containers I was using like this to keep track of the parts for the different sections of the hilt:

Slothfurnace has his drawings,... and I had to make mine:

A complicated situation like this needed to have a good plan and drawing it out was one of my first steps.

A nice 10 amp battery was needed to properly run the full-length neopixel blade:

The high capacity battery needed to be dressed up a bit because it may be visible on close inspection through the vents of the battery can:

And then it fit snugly in with the provided rectangular speaker supplied by Orbital Machining for this build.

The battery pod is attached to the spine here and you can see the yellow and brown wires which are the positive and negative here:

Parts have to come off so work can begin:

Adding some zip ties to help support the structure of the spine while parts are removed.

The crystal chamber has a small 3535 pixel and chip to light the crystal. In this photo you can see the base before the crystal is placed here and you can see the diffuser over the pixel LED:

Test-fitting a crystal inside the chamber:

The middle crystal in the following photo is the actual crystal used:

Here you can see the emitter and its tiny actuator switch doors and the wires coming from one of them:

The buttons are held in the chamber by 3M double-sided tape packed in around the small button, with a small square of electrical tape below the button just to put a barrier in between the button and the metal body of the emitter:

You can actually destroy the functionality of the board regarding one of the buttons if a button grounds out. Doing that on a build like this would be horrifying.

In the emitter you can see the Custom Saber Shop pixel connector and its pogos:

The emitter being prepared to go onto the main body:

This is a photo of feeding some button wires through the braided tubing which is a functional design feature:

Also in the above photo... the crystal is visible in the chamber.

Preparing the hilt for the final chamber assembly which will house the sound board and all its connections:

And with special permission from Erv' at Plecter Labs and Michael (Yoda of FX Sabers forum), I was permitted to use the Crystal Shard 4.5 so that Jason would have the unstable effects that might befit this curved and unique lightsaber:

Thank you to Erv' and Yoda. This really worked out great for this build.

Oh my gosh, Jason... I'm so sorry... your saber exploded!

Just kidding... that's just all the extra wires hanging out waiting to be cut and shortened once we are fully tested and everything works.

I'm actually leaving a little extra wire here just in case adjustments need to be made in the future... things won't get pulled or forced if we have a bit of extra wire to work with later:

Once everything's tested and working properly... make your changes to the SD card you won't get another easy chance... and the casing will go on along with the rest of the spinal parts:

This is near the end, and the tubing has to be pulled and prodded until it hides the wires and is properly in place. Here you can see the wires inside the tubing:

You need a special cable with a 90 degree angle like this to fit into the Black Mamba:

Just get an adapter and this type of cord on Amazon to use with your USB cord from TCSS that plugs into your computer.

To fit a power cord to charge the hilt using the supplied 2.1mm port, you'll need to remove some of the surrounding plastic from the standard TCSS 2.1 adapter and bend a 90 degree angle similar to what you need for R.I.C.E.:

We want to fit some electrical tap to the bottom of the inside of the brass screw on buttons for over the R.I.C.E. port and also the charge port button top. Just to make sure nothing gets grounded:

Once everything is done:

« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 09:16:36 PM by EXAR KUN »

Offline cvsickle

• Force User
  • Avid Saber Enthusiast and Build Attempter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 06:22:32 AM »
Wow. Fantastic work.

Offline Yaraell_Ren

• Force User
  • Listen Yaddle, I'm gonna need to borrow your car!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 07:55:19 AM »
Incredible design! Amazing how this will even be featured in the game

Offline Capnboobox

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 10:14:52 AM »
sweet baby jesus...

Offline Greebles

• Formerly known as Codeweasel
  • Master Force User
  • “You must unlearn what you have learned.”
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 06:33:16 AM »
Stunning!

-Denzil

Offline basalter

• Experienced Force User
    • A pinch of Salter
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 05:18:06 PM »
From the workshop that helped create the Killer Penny, then the Legacy tribute, to finally the Black Mamba, now with full electronics! Many years of craftsmanship come to fruition. What a wonderful high point in saber evolution. Congrats Exar Kun, on both a beautiful 'space ship' and continuing the superb work on this saber.

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 07:19:40 AM »
That really is something else! WOW!  :huh:

Offline slothfurnace

• Commando Jedi
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
    • slothfurnace
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 12:33:33 PM »
Excellent work.  Top notch install.

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 01:03:33 PM »
Absolutely awesome install space, loving it
Well done mate!! Your skills have come along way my friend

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline EXAR KUN

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 07:09:52 AM »
Wow. Fantastic work.

Thank you :)

Such an honor to work on this awesome saber creation.

Incredible design! Amazing how this will even be featured in the game

I know! I couldn't believe it when I saw those renders... but it makes total sense since Slothfurnace designs for that game that he would make sure to get this lightsaber in there!

sweet baby jesus...

Yeah it's created by two Saber Gods only their names are Acerocket and Slothfurnace  :cheesy:

Stunning!

-Denzil

Yeah I think so, too. Jason's pics on Facebook really show it off nicely. He did a great job with the photos they are way better than the ones I was able to take

From the workshop that helped create the Killer Penny, then the Legacy tribute, to finally the Black Mamba, now with full electronics! Many years of craftsmanship come to fruition. What a wonderful high point in saber evolution. Congrats Exar Kun, on both a beautiful 'space ship' and continuing the superb work on this saber.

I'm so happy I was the one to work on this special project years in the making, and with the great lineage. Thank you :)

That really is something else! WOW!  :huh:

:)

Excellent work.  Top notch install.

Thank you my friend that mean the world to me,

Absolutely awesome install space, loving it
Well done mate!! Your skills have come along way my friend

Thank you mate! You were my first friend on the forum ten years ago when I was all questions and no answers. You helped me so much with my Hyperblades and Makotos, which is where I got started and learned all about wiring and saber making little by little... watching Novastar's and Erv's videos... and eventually Madcow's videos which all helped a great deal.

retrousse