fiduciary

Author Topic: Luke ANH Love it or Leave it? or Graflex?  (Read 33852 times)

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
Luke ANH Love it or Leave it? or Graflex?
« on: September 27, 2007, 03:54:48 AM »
Hello everyone

With the Ultimate Icon of our time the Luke Skywalker Lightsaber from A New Hope being finally produced by
Master replicas as their last force-fx replica we are posting a specific thread for these thoughts and a poll to go with it 8)

Please remember not to needlessly argue with each other but discuss the product and it's pro's and con's ;)

If the MR just doesn't do it for you at all, you can opt to vote for Graflex replicas as well :D

MTFBWY
always
YODA
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 03:59:20 AM by Yoda »

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
Re: Luke ANH Love it or Leave it? or Graflex?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 04:21:04 AM »
For now I am Voting Graflex only. ;)

The ANH FX has just taken too long to be released, and with all the hooplah surrounding the "delays" regarding the non-renewal of the LFL license, it just lost the "mojo" for me. :-\

When I first signed up for the group order, I was really excited. The pictures of the prototype looked really promising, and I really WANTED this saber. The Graflex, and Graflex-inspired (Anakin ROTS) sabers have always held a special mystique to me. I love the look of those 40's flashguns, and having them be a part of my favorite movies of all time makes them even more special.

After reading a few reviews of the ANH (and still not having mine in my hands..) I have come to realize that this saber probably won't fill the bill for me. I may still keep one around, just to have the last "decent" FX MR will be doing, but it will mostly just be a display piece, or kept in the box...

When I finally get one, and it gets tested and inspected, I will make my final judgement. At this time however, I will be saving every red cent I can, so that I may soon purchase a TRUE Graflex saber from our very own Master Yoda. They just can't be beaten! ;)

Offline darthmaddy

• formerly known as Darth Malak
  • Master Force User
  • BATMAUL
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 05:03:28 AM »
I held a Luke ANH at DragonCon several weeks ago, and really liked it.  The hilt seemed as light as the ROTJ, but the blade felt heavier from what I remember, it didn't really seem balanced for spinning.  It definitely mimicked a Graflex well, but I'd never take one over my Yoda made Graflex.  If I had money coming out of my ears, I pick one up.
I'm not wearing hockey pads.

Offline levelnext

• formerly known as levelnext
  • Master Force User
  • you are what you is
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 05:06:14 AM »
Haven't hold the MR ANH Luke.  But man! Graflex all the way  ;D
On a mission to constantly annoy C3PO!

--:CLICK HERE TO SEE MY COLLECTION:--

Offline darthmaddy

• formerly known as Darth Malak
  • Master Force User
  • BATMAUL
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 05:18:00 AM »
Just read the heated Luke ANH thread, and didn't notice all the cheap stuff when I held it.  I did notice the fake clamp, but nothing really glaring.  The blade sure was purty. :D
I'm not wearing hockey pads.

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 07:14:20 AM »
I too voted Graflex only for now. I may go to Toys R' Us and pick one up just to have because it's the last of the FX's, but I'm not 100% certain that I will even do that. :-\

Heck, I may just have Yoda make me an ANH Graflex with STEVE 2.0 later on...it'd be money better spent anyways.

-Joclad

2010...I certainly hope it's better than 2009 was! ::)
10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Offline Dark Helmet

• Force User
  • Hail Skroob!
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 07:43:12 AM »
Pro's:

+ Hilt size
+ Activation switch (not in the middle like ESB)
+ Details

Con's:

- Fake rabbit ear ring
- Painting (or chroming?) defects (overall on the clamp pieces)

I'll say, ok, but it could have been better, or the best ls from mr.

Anyway, graflex or vintage are better. all the time!
LS Owned:

+ Yoda's Graflex V (Luke ESB Replica) -a masterpiece-
+ Cyan Luxeon III Anakin ROTS

Offline GRAND MOFF TARKIN

• formerly pianoman/Admiral Piett
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Fear will keep them in line...
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 08:09:23 AM »
Personally, I would rather save and purchase a Graflex from Yoda. I would probably purchase the MR ANH and leave it in the box in the attic and just wait and then re sell it at a later time.

EDIT - Another thing in regards to MR is consistency. Some have dark spots others do not. One blade is slightly brighter, one saber is slightly louder. One's speaker works the other craps out on you in a minute. Sometimes getting an FX really is a surprise.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 12:28:04 PM by ADMIRAL PIETT »

Offline Darthirishman

• Master Force User
  • They used to call me Sifo-Dyas
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 08:14:27 AM »
Well I look it at is this way.  The MR sabers are nice collectables, but having the recycled sounds for all the Jedi sabers really turns me off, which is why I sold a few of my sabers, well I needed money to.  I think if you have the money, have a saber built to your liking with actual movie sounds, which can happen, the only sabers I like from MR are the Vader sabers cause the are built to the acutal prop and have the correct sounds except for inginition.  I would buy from Yoda but I cant afford it no offense master yoda.  I think it really depends on your taste myself, I dont want a Luke ANH since he doesnt use it in battle, I would have rather seen a Obi weathered with the Vader ANH as a 30th release
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  Then go find the person who has vodka and have a party

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 09:38:17 AM »
Well as a proud new owner of a Yoda Vintage Graflex ESB, I have to say there could be nothing closer than what Mark Hamill held during filiming.  In all reality with Yoda's Crystal chamber my saber is actually better than the original. 

IMO if you can afford it go Graflex all the way.  You won't be disappointed that it looks fake or toyish because it won't.

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • You don't want to sell me death sticks.
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 12:23:24 PM »
I was actually one of the few who received the MR Luke ANH when the first batch was released back in June - so I'v had this FX for a while now.  Let me first say that there's no comparison between the MR ANH and a Yoda Graflex.  Yoda does outstanding work on his sabers and you won't get a more accurate graflex saber anywhere else.  The ANH Graflex I'v got is superb in its detail and accuracy, and to me, is the definitive graflex saber.

But even with that said, I still like the MR ANH FX.  I too was a little disappointed at the less-than-stellar rabbit ears, and of course the absence of that third window as a result, however, in the grand scheme of things - it's a pretty darn good FX.  And it's certainly better than not having had anything at all.  Sure the color of the blade is not Cyan, (which you can get on a graflex from Yoda), but at least it's a lighter, and brighter, blue than that on the Obi-Wan and Anakin ROTS FXs.  And as others have mentioned, the clash sensor on the ANH FX really is top notch.  It's also very light and easy to spin, for me at least.  :)  Creaking seems to be a major problem with some of them, though. 

So although I voted for the Graflex, I definitely think the MR ANH is a worthy addition to any FX collection. 

So if you want a decent attempt at a graflex that's not too expensive - the ANH FX is for you.  If you want something accurate and valuable - and as close as possible to the saber Luke held in the films - a Graflex Replica or Vintage is the way to go.  ;)  

« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 06:55:32 PM by OBI-WAN KENOBI »

Offline th31

• Force User
  • There can be only ONE
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 03:10:14 PM »
I'm waiting for my saber from JB, I had time to play with one at ToysRUs, and this is one I'll keep just for the fact it will be my only STOCK MR FX saber, everything else in my collection is modified or custom.

Still waiting for Yoda's SURPRISE saber to put MR to shame  ;D

Offline Aluke123

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 05:00:33 PM »
Graflexs only. I'm going to get one from you Yoda  ;)

Lord Maul on TCSS

Offline robiwan

• Banned
  • Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 06:19:34 PM »
Well, I voted yes for the MR ANH! The reasons I'll explain. Put the pitch forks away!  :o  I voted yes because it will be the last FX that MR makes. It's an official Luke ANH saber. It is a replica of the saber that got a lot of people hooked on Star Wars and created a 30 year love affair with the movies and it's technology.

Now I did not vote yes because it is the be all end all Graflex ANH! We know very well that it isn't. I did not vote yes because it is an accurate replica, because it isn't. For what it is, a licensed ANH collectable, the last of its kind from MR, is why I voted yes.

If you want the be all end all of Graflex replicas look no further than our own Mater Yoda. That is where you will find the perfect Graflex saber and no where else (except the one I built ;)).

And everyone please remember that we are all young at heart here playing with and collecting something that we have all come to love for one reason or another. And that is what unites all of us together in this family of ours. Our love of lightsabers.

May the Force be with all of us!
Disrespectful and Condescending to Staff.

Offline Bin Adam

• Master Force User
  • Muslim Knights: Fighting the Terror Within
    • For Those Who Reflect
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 09:10:57 PM »
Peace be upon all,
I really like Lars' balanced perspective. Even though I really like the looks and the history of the LANH FX, it's one of my least favorites in regards to spinnability  due to all the knobs and protrusions  on the hilt. That considered, I have one on the way via UPS due to arrive on Monday, God-willing.
My main reason for ordering is because of the history and because of the "Last of the MR-FX" issue. I actually debated for a while with my wife last night over whether to make this a display-only saber with only casual, demo-swinging aloud or do what I love to do with the others I own and battle with it with the ultimate goal of sending it to Ultra so it can be worn as a handsome hilt 8)
That being said, I might just send it back and put the money towards my custom sabers budget. Owning one of Yoda's Crystal Chamber Graflexes would be the dream ;)

-Bin Adam

ps.. should I still post a review when i get it?
The battle outside, starts inside.
"Don't desire to meet your enemy, but if you do be steadfast."

retrousse