fiduciary

Author Topic: My Plecter Labs Sith saber (review & video)  (Read 17950 times)

Offline GRAND MOFF TARKIN

• formerly pianoman/Admiral Piett
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Fear will keep them in line...
Re: I just got my Plecter Labs saber (review soon)
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2007, 05:40:16 PM »
I will be online all night waiting ;D ;D

Like I said Im just as excited as you and its not even mine!!

Offline The Abbot

• Master of the Jar'Kai Style
  • Master Force User
  • Lajedi.com ,Force-Fx.com Founder
    • http://www.Force-Fx.com
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2007, 10:37:02 PM »
The video is done and edited,im bouncing it to avi right now,then I just got to inport it into AP and save as a hi quality youtube exceptabel format..
LaserBlade:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/laserblade/id608879483?mt=8

The poster formerly known as Kit Fisto. Creator of the Force-FX sig style. Master of the 2 saber staff style way before Pong Krell

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2007, 10:49:36 PM »
Glad to see it arrived Kit.

It sounds like it will be promising...

You may want to have Erv send you a picture of what to do if your not sure about the hookups.

I like to make the charge plugs to go with the Saber ensure there won't be reversed polarity
by plugging the connector wires in back ward.

Just show Erv the parts your looking at and I'm sure He can guide you through it as well as let you
what size plug it is using.

Do post a Video with the Sounds when you get the chance 8)

Master Yoda I am confuised with these 3 adapters
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2742
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2244
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2730
How do I make sure I don`t reversed polarity?
I though it way as easy as plug the 3 parts together.

Hey there Kit

If you look at those pins, some adapters use different size pins which will be easy to
plug in and not confuse polarity.

"BUT" if the pins are the same size you'll want to look on the side of the plug casing for the
little embossed + and - symbols.

I think battery space has the varied pin sizes but I know places like Fry's and Radioshack etc...
carry the typical plugs that are same sized pins so just watch for that when you get your parts ;)

Always just to be safe you can eMail or post picts for Erv to check out to be sure before you
hook it up ;)

The Video sound like it will be cool 8)
Working on it now are you?  :)

Offline The Abbot

• Master Force User
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2007, 12:41:17 AM »
Ok the video is uploaded,just give about 15 min to be approved
Go here at about 1am pacific to see it (its 12:45 now)
http://forcefx.proboards43.com/index.cgi?board=lux&action=display&thread=1173148434&page=1
LaserBlade:

The poster formerly known as Kit Fisto. Creator of the Force-FX sig style. Master of the 2 saber staff style way before Pong Krell

Offline The Abbot

• Master Force User
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2007, 01:00:57 AM »
Ok the video is up and the review has been added to the 1st page.
LaserBlade:

Offline killphil

• Master Force User
  • ...you know, as in Kill Bill?
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2007, 01:13:35 AM »
Awesome saber, no doubt, but you didn't showcase the Luke ROTJ sound fx like I wanted to hear. The clashing is cool, very much so, but I'd like to see more of an emphasis on the swinging sounds, as what little was showcased at close proximity(without background music), left me wanting to hear more.

Hopefully you can record a new video of nothing but swinging and activation/deactivation so I could get a better grasp of what these sound like. That is the biggest draw for me. the swinging sounds, and what little I heard, up close and uninterrrupted by background music sounded very excellent.

Great video, though. I really loved the prequel style swinging sounds, from what I gathered. I would just like to hear more of them, though.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 01:23:27 AM by killphil »

Offline The Abbot

• Master Force User
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2007, 01:28:59 AM »
There are many parts of the video with just the sabers sounds and no added music,watch again,and max your volume
LaserBlade:

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2007, 01:30:34 AM »
Okay first, thanks for getting that up there so quickly Kit 8)

Second I noticed while doing your swings etc... you tuck your arm into
your chest.
I to have a bad habbit of doing this :D especially after my shoulder surgery :-\ , but...

What I want to suggest to you is to start getting in the habbit of putting your other
arm behind you, or semi behind in a fencing type of position ;)
It takes some getting used to but it looks better on camera and will eventually aid in
balance 8)
just try it and you'll see, it looks better if your arm is behind you. ;)
It actually helps me to stand up straight and not do the Luke hunch during dueling :D

Anyway
Okay on to the Saber.
the sounds sound great and the added push button effects are very cool 8)
is that using the same on/off or was it a second button?

I do agree we need just a quick Vid with the hilt movement alone so hear
those axis movements and how they play out 8)

Other than that you covered the extra effects nicely and it does look cool.
Since it's an enclosed system it is prebuilt and that's a plus for many people.

I will recommend Erv include the plug to hook to a charger though :D

Good Job Kit ;D

MTFBWY
always
YODA

Offline killphil

• Master Force User
  • ...you know, as in Kill Bill?
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2007, 01:36:22 AM »
There are many parts of the video with just the sabers sounds and no added music,watch again,and max your volume

Yes, you are right, but most of it is just idle hum and the clash lock. What I would like to hear is a good amount of swinging, clashing, and activation/deactivation at that same proximity as the other features you showcased.

I say this because I am very serious about getting one of these to compliment my future graflex w/Ultra soundboard.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 01:40:43 AM by killphil »

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2007, 01:38:12 AM »
I would suggest just tilting the saber back and forht to activate the sounds.

Rotate it di it down and slowly spi in around so we can hear clearly.

The fast spins look cool and everything but it's hard to pin point the movements ;)

Offline Louis

• Master Force User
  • Hello from France;)
    • Here is my website, based on my comic book.
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2007, 01:48:26 AM »
Very very very nice saber!!!

Great review, vid and pics too!!!;)

Offline The Abbot

• Master Force User
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2007, 02:03:47 AM »
Okay first, thanks for getting that up there so quickly Kit 8)

Second I noticed while doing your swings etc... you tuck your arm into
your chest.
I to have a bad habbit of doing this :D especially after my shoulder surgery :-\ , but...

What I want to suggest to you is to start getting in the habbit of putting your other
arm behind you, or semi behind in a fencing type of position ;)
It takes some getting used to but it looks better on camera and will eventually aid in
balance 8)
just try it and you'll see, it looks better if your arm is behind you. ;)
It actually helps me to stand up straight and not do the Luke hunch during dueling :D

Anyway
Okay on to the Saber.
the sounds sound great and the added push button effects are very cool 8)
is that using the same on/off or was it a second button?

I do agree we need just a quick Vid with the hilt movement alone so hear
those axis movements and how they play out 8)

Other than that you covered the extra effects nicely and it does look cool.
Since it's an enclosed system it is prebuilt and that's a plus for many people.

Good Job Kit ;D

MTFBWY
always
YODA

Master Yoda I was trained by master Anakin (Bandit) and he recomends tucking your arm into your chest.
No one ever told me this before,nore have I see anyone do these spins with there arm tucked into ther back, .
I think I would have been hacking away at my arm if it where tucked into my back,but I will try your advise,though im curious what master bandit Jedi has to say about this..
To add to this I almost always have a saber in each hand anyways,that is my fighting style (Jar'Kai)
It`s rare I only use 1 saber,and its been a few months before today where I practiced and didn`t  have a saber in each hand.

Oh The button for the reflect sounds is a second button on the top of the hilt,not the power button..

Well guys the video is 8 min long and only about 2 min of that has the suttle background music ,there are plenty of parts just showcasing the swing sounds,though you are right I might have been swinging it too fast for some ;)..

I would suggest just tilting the saber back and forht to activate the sounds.

Rotate it di it down and slowly spi in around so we can hear clearly.

The fast spins look cool and everything but it's hard to pin point the movements ;)

Sure thing boss I will get one short vid up like that this week np.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 02:44:52 AM by KIT FISTO »
LaserBlade:

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2007, 02:12:01 AM »
MTFBWY
always
YODA

Hi there !
about the charging plug, it was actually sent with the saber, and was meant to be soldered (details/explanation below) assuming that Kit could do it (bad engineer habit). The charger was not shipped cause what we have here in France uses a transformer, it's heavy and more expensive that what can be found at battery space.com (they have switching mode power supply charger, no transformer, reduced weight, reduced shipping).
Fortunatly, Xwing was a great help finding a zero-soldering solution with adapters !

Just a quick copy paste of my post on Force Fx :
hopefully master Xwing was there, as I told Kit, I feel a bit ashamed for not having pre wired the charger plug, and worse, I haven't seen those plug adapters battery space sells... ::)
but then, that's cool, Kit has a simple solution to get a charger without soldering !
You know, Kit, you've made a very kind review of this saber, I'm really honored ! It's been really stressful for me to make a saber for sending it oversea, I was wondering about shipping of course, but also about the features of the sabers... things have been mentionned on forum, but it could be different when you see the object in person, so I'm really happy if it suits you :D

You might have noticed on the video that the clash sounds are sometimes triggered during the spins, it's due to the ankle touching the saber or something like that (or a really energetic spin) : this is of course changeable, I've set up the saber to be really sensitive to impacts, minor changes to the configuration file on the sd card will set the saber behavior to your personnal way of fighting !

I also appologize for not having given you some basic operationnal info about the saber, well first I was suprised it was delivered so fast, and I kind of assume that people have the time to read all the crappy n' heavy engineer detailed documents I write ;)
It's true that everything is written in those, but I sometimes forget how hard it could be to read them when you don't have a technical background (not speaking about the fact that my english could be blurry sometimes ).

I also wanted to add that some of my recent features on the crystal focus combo board (luxeon driver + sounds), such as the blaster blocking and blade lockup are ideas I partly got by exchanging with customers and friend, so feel free to send me suggestions, I'll see if it's possible to add it in the firmware. This is my point of view : sharing info, exchanging etc. is the key to end with a product which is REALLY on the side of the fan/customer/sabermaker
so... many thanks to the people I've been in touch with about that
*thumb up*

Let me add also that I'll soon go in redesigning crystal focus to improve sound quality, simplify the design, and if we're lucky, lower the price of a few euros. I'm also redesigning totally the website to get a real e-shop, fully in both languages, french + english + multi currency support.

Back to work !
Cheers
Erv'

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2007, 02:35:47 AM »
Look forward to those Vides we will Kit 8)

This one is very good as is though.

Erv:
Things look good there and I see there will be more interested in the offerings from your store 8)
I think it will do well offered as a complete sabers due to the expense of the electronics.
The DIY people will be fine with it as well but I get the feeling completed sabers will be prefered by many.

Perhaps the Text just needs some user friendly pictures to go with it ;)

MTFBWY
always
YODA

the Arm thing :D
I do believe when Anakin and I were going over things I had mentioned that the tucking in was for
the Firgure 8 spin in close proximity to your body if you find that you hit your shoulder, but
I'm just pointing out it many times looks better "on camera" when you can extend the arm a bit behind
you and or tuck in behind yourself ;)

Offline The Abbot

• Master Force User
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2007, 03:26:45 AM »
I think its great you started a plecter labs sub board master Yoda ;)
LaserBlade:

retrousse