fiduciary

Author Topic: Petit Crouton vs Crystal Focus 5 Sound Font Popping  (Read 17925 times)

Offline PhoenixJedi

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Phoenix Sabers
Petit Crouton vs Crystal Focus 5 Sound Font Popping
« on: August 27, 2011, 07:26:07 PM »
I've created a number of soundfonts recently, including the TFU2 one, and im hearing that on the CF5 there might be some popping/crackling...

I do not hear ANY of this on the Petit Crouton or the computer.... Everything plays clean, and crisp..

Is the CF5 handling sounds differently than the PC?

I'm the only saber smith ever mentioned in the NY Times: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=35163
My Sabers: Avenger & Defender (TCSS Pair), Ravager (SF Vanquish)
Check out my profile for my website, sound font samples and pictures of sabers i've built!
Note: All sales from me, once shipped, are final.

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
Re: Petit Crouton vs Crystal Focus 5 Sound Font Popping
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 07:30:01 PM »
the cf5 has a better/higher quality audio engine, so it would pick up on popping/crackling more so than a petit crouton. 

Offline Darth Xusia

• Master Force User
  • "quit cher whinin' and just build some sabers"
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 07:56:52 PM »
I just loaded your TFU 2 font into Goldwave and chained the swings together and there is definitely some popping noises.
It seems to be at the beginning of the swings. It sounds like you possibly didn't choose a zero crossing point at the
beginning of your hum sounds.
I haven't loaded it onto my CFv5 or checked any other sounds.
Thank you Photobucket for the best Sig ever!

Offline Juansith

• Master Force User
  • The Leeroy Jenkins of the bidding wars
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 08:01:41 PM »
Hmmm... ive never experienced that with the CF5 or PC.
though you can indeed get some weird popping that only appears when you try the samples on the CF5,which can make you crazy because they wont appear on goldwave, i figured that sometimes is metadata on the wav file, other times you just need to make the cross fade a bit longer.

It can be a pain.

Offline Darth Xusia

• Master Force User
  • "quit cher whinin' and just build some sabers"
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 08:07:12 PM »
OK... I just checked the rest of the sounds and the only ones that do it on TFU 2 is the swings.
Thank you Photobucket for the best Sig ever!

Offline madcow

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
    • Genesis Custom Sabers
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 08:57:42 PM »
The CF 5 (as well as some older versions) has a sensitivity to the length of the sound file. If it's not an exact length it can have a slight click as it transitions to another sound (ex. poweron into hum). With some font's it's not noticeable. You'll pick up none of this with a PC. It seems to be only noticeable with poweron and hum sounds.

I think Erv has figured this out and corrected it for upcoming CF5's (not positive).
I figured out the best file length when I did Korriban, and then copied that same length for my other fonts.

Offline MACE WINDU

• Formerly known as Nightstorm
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Do you have a problem with purple?
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
I've been working on this (TFU2) all day.  Driving me bonzo.  I've noted a slight pop at the end of the hum too.  I concur that the main pop issues are in the swings.  Mostly at the end, some of them at end and begining.  I've been trying to do something about it with several audio packages with no success.  I'm testing these on a CF5.  Any suggestions?

Offline Juansith

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 09:32:12 PM »
I can tell you that once i spent four hours only figuring out the pop issues, until i cried for help to Novastar and he told me theres no easy solution.
I finally fixed the clicks by shortening one ms at a time out of the swings and the hum until i had the perfect spot.
Yeah, four hours.

Offline MACE WINDU

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 09:43:24 PM »
Yep.  I've been working on this for 12 hour there abouts now.  I've tried four different audio programs, pop/click repair, adjusting the wave forms trying to end them at a zero crossing ect.  The real frustrating part is most of the time, I can't even hear the pop in the audio software.  Its not until its on the CF5 that I hear it.  Makes it REAL hard to fix.

Offline Juansith

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 10:02:02 PM »
Finding the perfect seam spot is veru hard, but not at all impossible.
If you are having a lot of trouble with a sample or samples you can send those to my email and i will fix them
Tomorro morning if you like.

Offline MACE WINDU

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 10:04:02 PM »
Thank you, I think I'll take you up on that :)

Offline Juansith

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 10:05:36 PM »
No prob man  ;D, those clicks will be gone by tomorrow...... Noon  >:(

Offline MACE WINDU

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 10:12:40 PM »
PM me your address if you would.

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • NCSCS - Sabercombat.com
    • DIAMOND DRAGONS: Humans stand, heroes fall--but DRAGONS are *Forever*...
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 10:49:07 PM »
I hope this is a good lesson in the fact that--YES--it is indeed difficult to make a QUALITY font.

I may actually know the answer to this issue presented here... but... for maybe the first time ever (regarding font making)--I'm going to let people figure it out on their own.

It may sound weird to the "general public"... but I actually think it's better for new font makers (and old ones!) to have to find some of their own solutions--leading to them to truly APPRECIATE the work involved with these things.

This may actually be a bit because of all the "behind-the-scenes" garbage + factual inaccuracies regarding LED sabers & history that I have to put up with (that most of the public folks @ FX and most everywhere else don't KNOW about)... but in any case... yeah, it's not as easy as it looks.

Juan, since you and I have recently worked on the CJHS font... message me if you like.  In YOUR case... I want to verify if it's something ENTIRELY DIFFERENT...
* Former creator and owner of SaberCombat
* CUSTOM SOUND FONT LIST --->
Click here for Nova's 100+ custom sound fonts!
* PERFORMANCE HIGHLIGHTS ---> Click here for Nova's saber performance work...
* DIAMOND DRAGONS ---> Diamond Dragons: A feature-length screenplay being developed by Matthew 'Novastar' Carauddo

I don't post often on forums anymore.  If you want to e-mail me: novastar1138@gmail.com, or visit me on Facebook:

Click here.

Offline MACE WINDU

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 10:57:35 PM »
Well,  I've never made a font.  Just modified them.  I wanted to get the TFU 2 font working cleanly on a CF5.  I've tried everything I can think of.  I can't get rid of the pops at the end of the files and indeed, they don't even show up in the various software I've been using.  I've been working on this since around 11AM and it's now 1AM.  So I'm at the end of my rope.  I loaded the two fonts I got, TFU2 and Clone Wars onto a PC and they sound fine.  On a CF5 they both have a lot of pops at the begining / ending of files.  While I would love to know how to fix this on my own, as I hate banging my head against a wall, at this point...I'd just like it to work well.  :)

I can understand why Phoenix wasn't aware of any issue, as they sound fine on a PC.  I wanted to point that out.  This isn't meant to be disparaging toward him in any way.  I appluad the efforts of all the font makers as without them, what would be running on sound boards?

« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:09:10 PM by Nightstorm »

retrousse