fiduciary

Author Topic: MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) Information For Sabers  (Read 26092 times)

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • You don't want to sell me death sticks.
MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) Information For Sabers
« on: April 17, 2008, 03:59:05 PM »

*New Edit by DARTH TYRANUS*

While working through getting these topics sorted, this discussion came up as an Off-topic post in a Darkside Customs topic on the Ultrasabers boards.

While they didn't quite fit in there perfectly, they do hold validity, as Materials Safety is a VERY important topic. Therefore, I have decided to Move the discussion to it's own topic in all of it's glory.

I must stress however, that some of the more aggressive posts should be construed as banter among friends. That being said. Please try to keep the discussion friendly and on-topic.  If you have a slightly off topic comment, then please try to keep it at least within the boundaries of this discussion, and try to go back on topic in the same post.  Discussion is welcome, but let's not allow our conversations to dissolve into pointless bickering.  :)

Now, if you have a question or concern about a material commonly used in constructing a saber, please discuss it here.

MTFBWY
~Darth Tyranus

**Original post content below**

Slightly off topic here, but I've heard a lot of talk about PVC being unsafe (a poison plastic, actually).  Is there any truth to this?

« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 04:45:42 PM by Jedimoves »

Offline jpbeck

• Master Force User
  • "Always run the same direction EOD are running"
    • http://snipersparadise.com/sniperchat/index.php?
Re: MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) Information For Sabers
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 06:20:10 PM »

Slightly off topic here, but I'v heard a lot of talk about PVC being unsafe (a poison plastic, actually).  Is there any truth to this?

If you eat this saber you have more problems than it being poisonous. PVC is used to transport water-- all sorts of water-- including drinking water.

I will be intrested in the tonfas if they can stand up to the riggers of dueling.
It's made from PVC-- it's best suited for "light duty". It's funny that this came out today as we were just talking about this design last night.

Oh and BTW--- cough..cough... PR-24  :P
 ;D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 06:24:13 PM by jpbeck »

Offline Sidneyious

• Alias......Ninja of the Mist
  • Master Force User
    • Blog of my saber builds.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 06:29:06 PM »
tonfa! cough cought tonfa

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 10:12:02 PM »

Slightly off topic here, but I'v heard a lot of talk about PVC being unsafe (a poison plastic, actually).  Is there any truth to this?

If you eat this saber you have more problems than it being poisonous. PVC is used to transport water-- all sorts of water-- including drinking water.

I didn't say ANYTHING about EATING the saber, bud.  There ARE other ways that a particular substance can be hazardous other than through CONSUMPTION.  You know... like touch...inhalation.  I wasn't sure to what degree - IF ANY - PVC is unsafe.

Hope that clarifies things.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 10:27:31 PM by Jedimoves »

Offline Silkvein

• Junkyard Sabersmith
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 11:18:23 PM »
FYI:  I don't know how it is in the rest of the country, but up north there are serious health advisories out stating not to drink tap water PERIOD due to the fact that over the years, toxic chemicals have found their way into the water supply.  I remember seeing this on national news.  Just because something has been done for a long time doesn't mean it's safe.  CFC's are a good example.  As is lead based paint.  Perhaps (just perhaps) PVC is not as safe as people thought.  Perhaps it is.  It's up to you to decide whether any potential risk is worth it... if there is any.

And for the record, if they didn't want us to try eating a saber... well then, they shouldn't make the blade look like a bright and shiny jolly rancher.  They are quite filling though if you can muscle your way past the digestive difficulties.  :P

Peace,
Silkvein

Offline Corran_Horn

• Force User
  • KOTE Sabermaster
    • My MySpace Page
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 01:06:00 AM »

I didn't say ANYTHING about EATING the saber, bud.  There ARE other ways that a particular substance can be hazardous other than through CONSUMPTION.  You know... like touch...inhalation.  I wasn't sure to what degree - IF ANY - PVC is unsafe.

Hope that clarifies things.  ;)

I'd just like to say that, to my knowledge, unless you breath PVC fumes, it's not a partictlarly harmful substance.

I work in a lab that tests water pipes for United Utilities (a rather large Water board in the UK), amongst other things.  We used to test alot of PVC, and still test a fair amount on occasion, and I've never had any problems with it.  I've cut it, snapped it, crushed it, and heated it....and it's not affected me so far....It's a safe material for general use, or else they wouldn't have used it for water pipes. So, as long as you're not thinking of melting your PVC saber, and standing over it while you do, you should be fine....
Knights of the Empire Sabermaster

"I don't believe it."
"That is why you fail."

- Aanor ishiia zals -
 - Ihn Corellisi nyeve min bhiq suman ehin nyiad -

- Aliit ori'shya taldin -

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 02:04:48 PM »
Well said, Silkvein.  Just because something is common practice, doesn't make it right (or safe).  Genetically altered food is rampant, but that doesn't mean it's good for you. 

BTW - loved the jolly rancher comment.  :D

Thanks for your input, Corran_Horn.  Sounds like you've got lots of experience in this area.  The professional opinion you provided is much appreciated.

Offline jpbeck

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 02:22:47 PM »
Well, then "Bud" don't buy one. It could be unsafe.  As for me... well I guess I live on the dangerous side. Ta Ta-- I'm off to throw some lead down range (oops lead causes cancer... oh well).  ::)
Your not going to sic Green Peace on me are you?  ;D

GO HILLARY!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 02:51:48 PM by jpbeck »

Offline jpbeck

• Master Force User
Re: Blade Film Comparisons
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 02:57:17 PM »
*Regarding blade film in another topic, ~Tyranus*

Yea but do any of those cause cancer?  ;D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 09:41:29 PM by DARTH TYRANUS »

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 03:02:15 PM »
Okay this discussion needs to turn around. :-\

PVC is fine.  Sure, if you saw it and breathe the dust, it can wreak havoc on your respiratory system. But so can Sawdust, pollen, dirt, anything that can be aspirated... That's what masks are for.

PVC is not known to cause any ill effect. If that were the case, it would not be used to transport potable water.  Depending on how new your house or apartment is, most homes and living quarters use PVC over metal piping. It is more affordable, faster to cut, easier to fit.

If it were an issue, then ALL plastics would be more heavily scrutinized, (They are ALL by-products of pertoleum).

My uncle has been a plumber for more than 35 years, and he handles PVC every day. He happens to be one of the healthiest people I know...

I used to tote PVC pipe all day long for YEARS with no adverse effects to my health. 

Speaking of health concerns, Id' be more concerned with the solder fumes I work around every day above whether or not PVC is gonna kill me.  If it were, I should be dead by now, because the plumbing in my house is Pex tubing with PVC unions and the feed pipe from my service from the utility company ON are all PVC.

I'd be less concerned with the pipes, and more concerned with the chemicals and additives in the WATER being carried through them... Especially since I live in a FACTORY town...

Another concern: Better toss out all those Action figures. Guess what most of them are made of? :D

« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 09:31:07 PM by DARTH TYRANUS »

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 03:22:21 PM »
*Regarding blade film in another topic, ~Tyranus*

Yea but do any of those cause cancer?  ;D

:D  :D  Not that I know of, but they all HURT when you get a cut from them when rolling the films up! The last one I got bled for an HOUR :o
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 09:42:37 PM by DARTH TYRANUS »

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 03:55:13 PM »
jpbeck, I couldn't really tell you what Green Peace as an organization actually does day in and day out,
let alone sic 'em on you.   ;D   Okay, Bud.  :D   :D 

« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 10:46:50 PM by Jedimoves »

Offline Sidneyious

• Alias......Ninja of the Mist
  • Master Force User
    • Blog of my saber builds.
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 04:56:52 PM »
Ok the air you breath in your house is more toxic than the air outside in a smog filed enviroment which is pratically any city anymore these days.

Offline JudgeSabersmith

• Kind of on haitus
  • Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 05:27:37 PM »
Honestly, this derailment is getting nowhere.  Before drawing wild-assed conclusions based on WRONG information regarding safety and health, why not as someone who actually knows?  Say, like...ME...a Safety and Health professional with multiple college degrees and certifications?

PVC water pipes being toxic?  HAHAHA!  Guess how many asbestos-reinforced concrete pipes are still out there carrying your drinking water?

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 09:34:47 PM »
That's why this discussion has now been moved to it's own topic. 8)

So we can discuss and clarify information on the materials used in our sabers, and how safe they are to handle. 

Most people don't think of this as important, but the questions may arise so let's take em on, and see what kind of info we can find! ;)

retrousse