fiduciary

Author Topic: ledengin 5W ultravoilet??  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Ducos Rossis

• Experienced Force User
ledengin 5W ultravoilet??
« on: September 13, 2009, 12:54:39 PM »
thinking about using the 5W uv led from mouser on my graflex build with sabersound 1.0 and my harmon kardon saber woofer think the purplish light would be sweeeeetttt... i already have a cyan saber and i think blues and greens have been done to death. i would do the 10w but the 10w version is $97 ouch the 5w is $30 any input?

Offline STARKILLER

• Lord of the Strings
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • VADER's VAULT MFG
    • Vaders Vault
Re: ledengin 5W ultravoilet??
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 01:47:51 PM »
The UVs do not really make purple, they are sort of a bluish purple and not as bright as other colors. :) 

Offline Darksaber 3

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 02:09:16 PM »
Why not just wire up the red and blue on an RBG? Then, you get the purple, plus its not ultraviolet, so its not as bad for your eyes, if it got shined into them. And I bet it would look better, and be a bit cheapter, too, depending on the RBG..

Offline Master Jedye

• The Master of the School for the Dremel-Fu Gifted
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Master Jedye
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 02:11:32 PM »
We did an experiment with a LuxIII UV and it was absolutely awful.  I know, I know... comparing a luxIII to a 5W is like comparing apples to oranges but I just can't see a 5W UV being much better.  I would be interested in seeing the 10W though, just out of curiosity.  I don't think there is much saber application in any UV, regardless of size.  
And as Darksaber 3 just mentioned, UV's are a lot more dangerous for your eyes than any other LED, especially with a 5 or 10 degree optic solution.

I found the thread:  http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=17801.0

In there, XsaberX states he tried this with a LEDengine 5W UV LED... with less than awe-inspiring results.  Better than the LuxIII, but still not great.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 02:40:58 PM by Master Jedye »

First place winner in the 19 BBY \"Mustafar LavaRock Belly Crawl\"

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 03:05:26 PM »
Why not just wire up the red and blue on an RBG? Then, you get the purple, plus its not ultraviolet, so its not as bad for your eyes, if it got shined into them. And I bet it would look better, and be a bit cheapter, too, depending on the RBG..

Problem is the LEDEngins do not make a 5W RGB.  Seoul makes an RGB and Prolight makes an RGB.  Neither are 5W though.  Of course, LEDEngin does make a 10W RGGB and a 10W RGBA :o ;D :o

Facebook: VVFB

Offline darthxanthus

• Master Force User
  • Imperial Royal Arms
    • Xanthus Laboratories
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 05:45:34 PM »
A=amber?

Just wondering.
Find me on Facebook.  Look for Xanthus Laboratories fan page.

or on Imperial Royal Arms website!

Offline Master Jedye

• The Master of the School for the Dremel-Fu Gifted
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Master Jedye
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 05:46:30 PM »

First place winner in the 19 BBY \"Mustafar LavaRock Belly Crawl\"

Offline Silkvein

• Junkyard Sabersmith
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 11:44:34 AM »
Take it from someone who has done quite a bit of work with UV leds... It isn't worth your time mate.  You're going to get a better and brighter purple from a prolight rgb than a 5 watt UV.  Also, regardless of the lens and/or blade type, you WILL do irreparable damage to your retinas by even looking at the blade for more than a few moments.  Coupled with the fact that any class laser with disorientation capabilities housed inside a weapon (mock or not) is a violation of the patriot act makes UV leds a waste of time until more practical application and safety measures are developed. 

Peace,
Silkvein

Offline Saber Saint

• Force User
  • Megalomaniacal, face pierced, saber slinging psyco
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 09:49:05 PM »
It's a real shame that UV's aren't "saber worthy". I think they'd look really cool if they were.
And, on a side note, if it wasn't for their low brightness and their harmfulness to my retinas, I'd do it JUST to violate the "Patriot" (spill a bottle of White Out on the Constitution) Act! *
(I don't don't like the "P" word.  ;D )

*Saber Saint does not advocate the violation of city, State, or Federal laws, ordinances, guidelines, or other Governmental "rules".

retrousse