fiduciary

Author Topic: Petit Crouton Info Center and RULES  (Read 13705 times)

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
Petit Crouton Info Center and RULES
« on: May 07, 2010, 01:16:22 AM »
You know I've been recently busy, and there's an explanation.
In collaboration with my affiliates, I've been working on a new board meant to be an alternative to the MR/HFX boards, and still featuring great sound, configurability, embedded luxeon driver, accent LEDs, large availability and low cost.

So please welcome PETIT CROUTON (tm)

Before you go further, read this twice at least

For now IT IS NOT a retail product. It's going only to my affiliates. If you're not in, don't ask (I won't answer). Might sound arrogant, but I'm picking my affiliates, otherwise, I'll get flooded  by requests (I'm already). You'll see the board coming only in built sabers, not as part of a kit or as an OEM product, at least not for now.

I'm providing info about the board so that you guys can know exactly what the board does, as it will be proposed as a sound board option for the saber you'll commission to certain sabersmiths in a near future.

FEATURES :

SOUNDS :
WAV files stored on a micro SD card (surprised ?). Playback sound on 8 bit / 22050 sample per second.
Sound font structure similar to CF (why changing a winning team).
Board will come in either a light side or a dark side version with the matching sound font OR with a custom sound font per request to the sabersmith / installer. Once it's installed, the board still accepts those 2 or 3 SF (light, dark, custom) but no other. Since the term will pop up at a moment or another, we'll say that the board is then LOCKED. Don't ask for unlocking the board, you're not allowed to. If you want to play around with changeable / multiple sound fonts, please search for another sound board acronym, here's some help, it starts with a C.

DEMO (recorded by a multimedia mike)
Light Side: https://www.plecterlabs.com/Media/CFSounds/PetitCrouton/lightsidedemo.mp3

Dark Side : https://www.plecterlabs.com/Media/CFSounds/PetitCrouton/darksidedemo.mp3

SOUND VOLUME / AMP :
Same 2W amp as CFV5, with digital volume control on the SD card. Handles one 8 ohm speaker, or a 4 ohm speaker or two 8 ohm speakers in //.
Sound is lower volume than CF, but comparable with a MR board or a USB.

MOTION SENSING
Ball bearing and spring sensors. Don't be fooled by them, handled properly they can do some nice motion detection (see the video).
2 motions sensors + 1 clash. Swing and clash sounds can be chained, swing and clash flow limiters can be setup in the config file.

LUXEON DRIVING
Real 1.5A current regulator (and not a crappy voltage chopper). Mostly the same thing as a CFV4 driver. Includes luxeon flicker and shimmer.

OTHER FEATURES
Random selection of swings and clashes : RandomX (virtually no repeat)
Switch support like on CF : NO, NC, MOM
2 blikies pads with a 8 stage sequencer (leds.txt file)
Aux switch - one blaster sound, one lockup sound. The blaster slot can be filled with anything, the default sound fonts will provide a blaster and a force sound, up to you to decide which one you want to use in response of a quick press on the aux switch (rename force file as blaster if you want force instead of blaster).

CONFIG FILE PARAMS
General sensitivity
Swing Threshold
Switch setup
Flicker amount
Shimmer duration
Ramp up time (allows quick on with 0)
Ramp down time (allows quick off with 0)
APOP (tm) Anti Power OFF
Led current
Sound Volume
Idle LED flashing params
Swing & Clash flow limiters

Board size is 54.6 x 23.5 mm

VIDEO:
please note that the sensitivity of the board was set to something quite sensitive to get the swing chained quickly. When on the mat, the speaker vibration made the sensors activated, which isn't happening when in a saber. That demo plays a slightly reworked version of the novastar sound font, and sound is more representative of what you get in person compared to the crappy MP3 demo above (blame the mike).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87TI-2WiYVw

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEWARE. It's an informative thread. I intend to let it open. Shall one start rambling, moaning or whatever, I'll lock the topic. I won't tolerate derailing here aside of smart humor and intelligent discussion / contribution.  Thank you.

Petit Crouton History and Rules (expanded)

Okay folks, there has been much discussion as to what will and what will not be available for the Petit Crouton.  Although Erv' did post (in general terms) about the purpose of Petit Crouton, some clarification has become necessary.  Allow me to begin with some background on the board itself.  About one year ago, myself and a few other members of JSS began development discussions of the "JSS soundboard".  Many options were considered and finally, after 6+ months of research and discussion a plan of action was agreed upon.  We enlisted the design expertise of one famous buttered toast designing member of JSS (who had been involved in the design discussions all along) and the term Petit Crouton was coined by the Judge himself.  The charter members of the ISG and the CF Affiliates all pitched in (special thanks to Eastern57, Vader's Vault and xl97) and the feature set was developed and the mission statement and design threads were drafted.  For those of you who are unaware, JSS has a very strict NDA policy in effect for all of it's members as does the ISG, so those cover this project as well since it falls under our purview.  A discussion of the ISG will be posted (by me after I discuss it with YODA) at a later time, but suffice to say that it is a standards and ethics organization of saber smiths and is not directly related to JSS, Fx-Sabers or the S.A.B.E.R. Guild although many of us are a part of all of these organizations.  Believe me when I say that the distribution rules for this product have been well thought out.  Please do not bombard me or other JSS/ISG members with questions as to "why" we made the decisions that we did, but please do try to remember that to have Plecterlabs involved with any product means that first and foremost, said product must be Community oriented in it's inception and spirit.  Anothe point to remember is that this board was designed to fill a need for those of us who provide "blood, sweat and tears" service to this community by aiding/allowing us to provide amazing quality, professionally produced products at reasonable prices for everyone.

Henceforth, for the purposes of this post, the Petit Crouton shall be referred to as "PC".  Most of these rules have been in place since before the board was designed and tested.  A few had to be addressed in the last 24 hours (and many people have spent a great deal of time and effort in making this information available to us all).  The term "Previously produced saber" refers to a saber that a JSS/ISG member has completed and sold prior to the release of the PC.

Now, on to the salient rules/points of interest:

1.  This board was conceptualized, designed, tested and approved through a JSS/ISG joint effort.
2.  These boards are available to JSS/ISG members ONLY for use in their NEW builds.
3.  The PC will NOT be available on a routine basis for (Previously produced saber) upgrades - please do not ask.
4.  The PC MAY be offered for (Previously produced saber) replacement of a defective board (if any evidence of purposeful destruction of a functional board s discovered, the upgrade will NOT be done.)
5.  The PC will NOT be offered for installation in sabers from any non-JSS/ISG affiliated runs.
6.  The PC WILL be offered for the Alliance saber and future ISG runs.
7.  The PC will NOT be available for "send in" sabers.  In other words, if an ISG/JSS member does not build the saber, the PC will not be offered for said saber.
8.  The PC will NOT be available for general public sale  (there are NO plans at this time and it is unlikely in the future as to not interfere with the upcoming TCSS board).
9.  The PC will be available in Approved Sabersmiths' "Signature" sabers (new projects only, no retrofit)

Quoted from the PC Affiliates forum:

"If a "Customer" asks a Guild Member to skirt around any of these rules, the Guild Member is required to report the incident to the Guild/JSS Membership by posting the incident in a forum set up for Guild/JSS Members.  Failure to report any deviation in compliance may result in said Sabersmith's expulsion from the Guild and/or JSS."

If you deliberately try to skirt these rules, you will not be allowed to buy PC sabers from ANY of the approved sabersmiths.  Do not think that you can just "slyly" ask.  It will not be tolerated.

UPDATE

It is nice that this is now public.  Everyone shall be suitably impressed.  I PROMISE!  Erv' did a wonderful job in this board's development and the folks who "helped" spent a great deal of time and energy in this project as well.  this was created to "bridge the gap" in the supply of soundboards.  Now that we do not have to snap up all of the MR boards and new TCSS boards, there will be plenty of DIY boards available into the future.  the fact that this is a non-accelerometer based board just like an MR board has helped to keep the costs down as well so Bravo to Erv' and his merry band of little helpers!

I think it bears mentioning (very clearly) that these boards will NOT be for sale individually.  Please do not ask one of the ISG sabersmiths to sell one to you on the down low.  I promise you, if that is discovered (and we will), said sabersmith will NEVER see another Petit Crouton.  This may sound harsh, but EVERY ISG member who is able to provide these boards has signed an NDA and will be held to it.  The big thing we don't want is for this item to skyrocket in price and therefore become unavailable to anyone who wants one.  YES that is right.  One of the main reasons for this not being a public sale board is the price gouging that we see with CF.  That will not happen here. ;)

I have gone over the NDA with a fine toothed comb to see what is going to be possible.  Try to remember one thing, these will still be somewhat limited since they are still made by hand and finished by hand so if you already have an US in your saber there is not a good reason to want to "upgrade".  Please see the rules in the First post.  They now address this subject fully.

BTW, you may all ask why I am the one posting on this.  I am the ISG Guildmaster, so it is my responsibility.  What is the ISG?  Well, that info will have to wait, but it is not a new entity. ;) The Yun  and Starkiller runs from last year were both ISG runs as will be the upcoming Bane (LDM), stormtrooper(Jango) and starkiller(Vader's Vault/JQ-sabers).

Yes the fonts will be available assuming you have licensed them by buying Novastar's CDs.  Most Smiths will likely provide a "special/unique" font with sabers that they build with PC.

to add...

but the 'owner' (as asked previously) will not be able to make a font and have it used..

there is a default jedi/sith (lightside/darkside) font.. and the 'possibility' for a different/special font.

whether this is the sabersmiths own unique/signature font or custom made for that run/saber is still up to the SMITH.. not the own/commissioning person..

AFAIK

That is 100% correct.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 09:11:35 PM by GENERAL GRIEVOUS »

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
Re: A newborn : Petit Crouton Info Center
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 10:54:06 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!

I believe I read somewhere that they were available only to Sabersmiths, I guess I forgot!  I read the thread a couple weeks ago then came back to post today.

Supplying Sabersmiths is an equally awesome option, seeing as I will probably go to smiths for most of my collection, if the waiting lists aren't too too long these days, rather than build a ton myself.  A couple maybe on my own, but that's it.  I suppose there is already a prototype made of the toast?  I love all the great stuff that you guys do here.

Cheers

Yep the prototypes have been rigorously tested and production is soon to commence. ;D

Ooops, forgot about the font rework...my bad. ;D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 10:36:28 AM by GENERAL GRIEVOUS »

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
Re: A newborn : Petit Crouton Info Center
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 10:19:58 PM »
Petit Crouton History and Rules (expanded)

Okay folks, there has been much discussion as to what will and what will not be available for the Petit Crouton.  Although Erv' did post (in general terms) about the purpose of Petit Crouton, some clarification has become necessary.  Allow me to begin with some background on the board itself.  About one year ago, myself and a few other members of JSS began development discussions of the "JSS soundboard".  Many options were considered and finally, after 6+ months of research and discussion a plan of action was agreed upon.  We enlisted the design expertise of one famous buttered toast designing member of JSS (who had been involved in the design discussions all along) and the term Petit Crouton was coined by the Judge himself.  The charter members of the ISG and the CF Affiliates all pitched in (special thanks to Eastern57, Vader's Vault and xl97) and the feature set was developed and the mission statement and design threads were drafted.  For those of you who are unaware, JSS has a very strict NDA policy in effect for all of it's members as does the ISG, so those cover this project as well since it falls under our purview.  A discussion of the ISG will be posted (by me after I discuss it with YODA) at a later time, but suffice to say that it is a standards and ethics organization of saber smiths and is not directly related to JSS, Fx-Sabers or the S.A.B.E.R. Guild although many of us are a part of all of these organizations.  Believe me when I say that the distribution rules for this product have been well thought out.  Please do not bombard me or other JSS/ISG members with questions as to "why" we made the decisions that we did, but please do try to remember that to have Plecterlabs involved with any product means that first and foremost, said product must be Community oriented in it's inception and spirit.  Anothe point to remember is that this board was designed to fill a need for those of us who provide "blood, sweat and tears" service to this community by aiding/allowing us to provide amazing quality, professionally produced products at reasonable prices for everyone.

Henceforth, for the purposes of this post, the Petit Crouton shall be referred to as "PC".  Most of these rules have been in place since before the board was designed and tested.  A few had to be addressed in the last 24 hours (and many people have spent a great deal of time and effort in making this information available to us all).  The term "Previously produced saber" refers to a saber that a JSS/ISG member has completed and sold prior to the release of the PC.

Now, on to the salient rules/points of interest:

1.  This board was conceptualized, designed, tested and approved through a JSS/ISG joint effort.
2.  These boards are available to JSS/ISG members ONLY for use in their NEW builds.
3.  The PC will NOT be available on a routine basis for (Previously produced saber) upgrades - please do not ask.
4.  The PC MAY be offered for (Previously produced saber) replacement of a defective board (if any evidence of purposeful destruction of a functional board s discovered, the upgrade will NOT be done.)
5.  The PC will NOT be offered for installation in sabers from any non-JSS/ISG affiliated runs.
6.  The PC WILL be offered for the Alliance saber and future ISG runs.
7.  The PC will NOT be available for "send in" sabers.  In other words, if an ISG/JSS member does not build the saber, the PC will not be offered for said saber.
8.  The PC will NOT be available for general public sale  (there are NO plans at this time and it is unlikely in the future as to not interfere with the upcoming TCSS board).

Quoted from the PC Affiliates forum:

"If a "Customer" asks a Guild Member to skirt around any of these rules, the Guild Member is required to report the incident to the Guild/JSS Membership by posting the incident in a forum set up for Guild/JSS Members.  Failure to report any deviation in compliance may result in said Sabersmith's expulsion from the Guild and/or JSS."

If you deliberately try to skirt these rules, you will not be allowed to buy PC sabers from ANY of the approved sabersmiths.  Do not think that you can just "slyly" ask.  It will not be tolerated.

Well, that is it for now.  This is an AMAZING product and we sincerely hope that everyone enjoys it.  I will now re-open the thread.  

One final note, please refrain from vitriolic posts.  In other words, if you don't have something nice to say...don't say anything at all.  ;)

This needs to be bumped, since I have noticed a few folks trying to circumvent the rules already and we don't even have the boards available yet.  I want it to be completely transparent (the rules) and I want to say (again) that as long as everyone plays by the rules, these will be a VERY cool thing for everyone and many happy folks will enjoy them ;)

retrousse