fiduciary

Author Topic: Introducing: Brewboard a FX-SaberOS board  (Read 7530 times)

Offline Kolgrima

• Force User
  • Never tell me the odds!
Introducing: Brewboard a FX-SaberOS board
« on: June 13, 2018, 08:16:57 PM »
I'd like to Introduce Brewboard

Brewboard is a Carrier board for homebrew FX-SaberOS Soundboards it was designed for Econo-builds

here are the specs;
  • 100% open-source
  • 20.32mm x 69.22mm
  • Connects Arduino Nano, DFPlayer, and GY-521(MPU6050) to create a homebrew soundboard
  • 4 MOSFETs to support RGB and RGBW or any LED with up to 4 die
  • Supports Neo-Pixel, Star LEDs and *string blades (* with 2 added MOSFETs)
  • Resistors for battery level checking
  • Built in resistor for neo-pixel strings (can be easily removed and bridged if not needed)
  • All the features Of FX-SaberOS
  • Dirt Cheap (even with the cost of the Arduino Nano, DFPlayer, and GY-521)

Opensource files and wiring diagrams can be found here;
GitHub - SaberRepublic/Brewboard: Shield for FX-SaberOS
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 07:24:55 PM by Kolgrima »

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
Re: Introducing: Brewboard a FX-SaberOS board
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 09:02:34 PM »
Something about this saber really brings me back :D

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 07:52:01 AM »
Good work on this, it is essentially a carrier for the parts to implement a DIYino Prime v1 for those on a low budget and more spacious hilt desing.

Offline Kolgrima

• Force User
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 08:05:22 AM »
Good work on this, it is essentially a carrier for the parts to implement a DIYino Prime v1 for those on a low budget and more spacious hilt desing.

Thanks! And yes; it really is a tradeoff. You definitely sacrifice quite a bit of space for the monetary savings. But if you're crafty you can make it work, space wise.

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 09:22:57 AM »
This sure would beat the heck out of doing it with strip board as most home-brews are done! Are you building these rider boards for sale?

Offline Kolgrima

• Force User
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 11:31:21 AM »
This sure would beat the heck out of doing it with strip board as most home-brews are done! Are you building these rider boards for sale?

I am, I just completed a run actually, but it's offsite... which is why I didn't post any of that info here. I could start a thread over in the Trade Federation and sell a portion of them there if there is interest.

Offline Sini Star

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 06:33:10 PM »
Nice work!

Offline BipeFlyer

• Padawan Learner
  • Taking my first steps into a larger world.
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 11:53:39 PM »
This is really cool.  How does the Arduino Nano run off a single cell Li-Ion?  Doesn't it require 5v?

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 05:43:42 AM »
It happily runs on a regular cell. You can use a boost circuit if you want, but it isn't necessary.

Offline BipeFlyer

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 07:54:26 AM »
Awesome, thanks!

Offline Kolgrima

• Force User
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 08:30:23 PM »
It happily runs on a regular cell. You can use a boost circuit if you want, but it isn't necessary.

Thanks for answering that jbkuma!

I will also add that in the 3d printed build shown in the video, the battery is an orbtronic 14500 at 840 mAh. This gives my son just over an hour of use... which is fine for him as he's usually done after that long. Also of note is the stock breakout boards have builtin LEDs that are always on even in deep sleep mode so this design has a kill switch, as I didn't want to have to remove the LEDs from those boards.

Offline BipeFlyer

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 11:55:15 PM »
Thanks Kolgrima. 

This is perfect, as I already have the other parts, but haven't used them yet because they're too bulky.

I ordered 3 boards this morning. 

Offline Kolgrima

• Force User
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 10:06:40 AM »
Thanks Kolgrima. 

This is perfect, as I already have the other parts, but haven't used them yet because they're too bulky.

I ordered 3 boards this morning.

I assume you are using the source files to make your own, keep in mind you'll need to solder all the MOSFETs and resistors on any boards you get from a PCB manufacturer, that said it not too hard.

I did make a run of these boards my self but as I mentioned, I have not posted the link for that run as it is off-site. I was considering selling a few here on the Trade Federation but I didn't think there was much interest. Perhaps I'll put a few up anyway, just in case.

Offline BipeFlyer

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 11:25:32 AM »

I assume you are using the source files to make your own, keep in mind you'll need to solder all the MOSFETs and resistors on any boards you get from a PCB manufacturer, that said it not too hard.

I did make a run of these boards my self but as I mentioned, I have not posted the link for that run as it is off-site. I was considering selling a few here on the Trade Federation but I didn't think there was much interest. Perhaps I'll put a few up anyway, just in case.

Yes, thanks - I've already sourced the parts from Digi-Key.  I've never soldered SMT devices before, but I should be able to figure it out.

I'm planning on using a modified version of JBKuma's aircraft plug design for the blade and hope to be able to swap between an RGB and a NeoPixel.  That way I can make the NeoPixel later and just plug it it.  One issue with making a standardized plug is that the power for the NeoPixel is different between this board and the DIYino Stardust 3, but I'm assuming that in the case of the latter it is so that the blade can be completely powered off in deep sleep mode.  I'd like to use one plug design that I can use with either board and have interchangeable blades.  I think I'll just connect the NeoPixel to ground instead of the mosfets for both boards, as I don't foresee needing deep sleep with the blade plugged in, unless there is some reason not to that I haven't thought of.  That way, with a little modification to FX-SaberOS, I can run an RGB crystal off of the mosfets in conjuction with the RGB blade and have them still work with the NeoPixel blade installed.

As a side note, on NeoPixel blades Adafruit recommends using a capacitor across the power terminals to prevent spikes when powering on.  I don't see this in the schematic.  Is it necessary, or just a good idea?

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 02:10:45 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by the power being different.  This board and the Stardust should work more or less the same aside from the switches for powering down the serial and mp3 chips.

The capacitor would go on the strip.  I have never used it.

retrousse