fiduciary

Author Topic: International shipping - Why many people refuse to offer it.  (Read 7142 times)

Offline Free Thinker

• Force User
Re: International shipping - Why many people refuse to offer it.
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 02:47:38 AM »
Interesting thread, and food for thought for international customers. I'm new to the forum and this kind of information really helps. Have any of you had any experience of shipping to Japan, and, if so, did things go smoothly?

Any information would be much appreciated. 

Offline cordaroyfog

• Master Force User
  • Just your friendly neighborhood Fog...
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 07:23:39 AM »
I've shipped dozens of items to Japan and never had a problem, they have one of the best postal systems in the world IMO.

Offline Aus_Jedi_Killer

• Master Force User
  • You wanna buy some deathsticks? :D
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 08:01:12 AM »
I've received from Japan a few times and it's been excellent. Quite fast. Express from there to here was 3 days :D

Offline Acerocket

• Formerly known as Wat Tambor
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 07:01:43 PM »
Interesting thread, and food for thought for international customers. I'm new to the forum and this kind of information really helps. Have any of you had any experience of shipping to Japan, and, if so, did things go smoothly?

Any information would be much appreciated. 

Yes, I have shipped to Japan before.  I have not really had any issues.

For the most part, I have been extremely lucky shipping.  But, I must temper that statement with a caveat - right now, I will never ship to Russia or Itally again.  These are the two countries I have had troubles shipping to and refuse to even try again - in both cases, customs was horrible and the customers never received their items (or the replacements that I sent).

Offline Aus_Jedi_Killer

• Master Force User
  • You wanna buy some deathsticks? :D
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 07:06:56 PM »
So Russia is bad? I've sent an iphone and 2 sabers there and haven't had an issue. Was scared... poopless when the winning bidder on the iphone was in Russia. Insured it and everything to be safe.
On the other hand i have had gifts sent to me FROM Russia that never arrived :(

Offline CinDrycast

• Experienced Force User
  • Remember... The Force will be with you... Always!
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 07:24:10 PM »
When I first read the title of this thread I immediately thought about Italy. I've seen and heard of a lot of US and all-over-the-world citizens and shops that do not ship here in Italy. Gotta agree with them (and with Yoda). We're unorganized and the majority of people involved in logistic couriers are incompetents and/or thieves. And that's not all! I've seen italian shops selling Hasbro/MR FX sabers with incredible prices... Example: MR Vader's ESB Force FX for 250€ (320$ circa) plus 10 euros for shopping in Italy (15$ circa). This is not normal, this is robbery!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 07:25:46 PM by CinDrycast »

Master Replicas Ep. VI Luke Skywalker Lightsaber V2 LE #0496/1500
eFX Episode VI Luke Skywalker 'Version Two' Lightsaber PCR

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 07:29:47 PM »
We ship worldwide and rarely have a problem.  Italy is definitely known as a trouble spot and many people don't ship there.  However, we've sold several sabers to Italian fans and they have all made it.  Russia as well.  My rule of thumb is to always declare correct value and insure for full value or the maximum allowed, whichever is greater.  Uninsured packages, particularly to problem countries, is just asking for trouble as they are not watched as closely, IMHO.

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Free Thinker

• Force User
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 02:15:33 AM »
Again, lots of useful information there. Thanks to everyone.

Offline Free Thinker

• Force User
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 04:40:45 AM »
Hello again. On a related point, when you fill in the customs declarations for lightsabers, how do you classify them? Do you note them as electronic items or something else? I was just wondering, because I'm curious as to how much import duty I'll be charged when a saber is sent to me.

Thanks again for any light you can shed on this.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 07:54:53 AM »
I think everyone does it a bit different.  I usually use either electronic toys or electronic collectible toy.  I never use the words weapon, sword, and I avoid lightsaber in case there are any sticky fingered folks in the employ of the shipping carrier or in customs.  The only exception would be when shipping through eBay as they copy the listing title onto the customs forms.

Facebook: VVFB

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 10:43:10 AM »
I think everyone does it a bit different.  I usually use either electronic toys or electronic collectible toy.  I never use the words weapon, sword, and I avoid lightsaber in case there are any sticky fingered folks in the employ of the shipping carrier or in customs.  The only exception would be when shipping through eBay as they copy the listing title onto the customs forms.

Haha yes I agree with Luminara on this... never say 'weapon' or 'sword' or 'laser sword' haha we don't know how those might be translated, and, even in english they are suspicious words. When I ship overseas I always write 'LED light toy'. I think if you use the word 'toy' maybe it helps the customs person understand just what the heck that thing is!

Offline Salvatore1971

• Master Force User
  • "Yes, I know, I have a toupée on my head!"
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2012, 10:49:59 AM »

Haha yes I agree with Luminara on this... never say 'weapon' or 'sword' or 'laser sword' haha we don't know how those might be translated, and, even in english they are suspicious words. When I ship overseas I always write 'LED light toy'. I think if you use the word 'toy' maybe it helps the customs person understand just what the heck that thing is!

Toy? What toy? That's not a toy!  ;D

I'm Italian. Sorry in advance for my bad english! :D

Offline Free Thinker

• Force User
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 06:35:39 AM »
Once again, a big thank you for the information. Being new to the lightsaber scene, I find myself with new questions all the time, but as the rest are seriously off topic for this thread, I'll ask them in the appropriate place and leave Wat in peace. :) 

Offline Psab Keel

• Master Force User
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2012, 06:50:48 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to write this up Wat.  I shipped some items internationally just today and your thread brought to light how much of a pain it is to insure a package sent overseas.  It ended up that if something happens to what I shipped, I will refund the buyer back in full, but unfortunately I would be out the product AND the money.  I hope it all works out, but I'd rather lose out and keep a good reputation with the forum members (on all of the ones I am a part of).

Such a pain..... 

Offline jetsaber

• Master Force User
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2012, 08:43:53 PM »
I will never offer shipping to other countries anymore
I have been Duped
 So I will only ship items inside the U.S.A.

retrousse