fiduciary

Author Topic: Red button issue and fix  (Read 5376 times)

Offline Acerocket

• Formerly known as Wat Tambor
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
Red button issue and fix
« on: February 27, 2012, 12:06:08 PM »
I have heard from a few people know that they are having an issue with the red button sticking. 

This is an issue that presented itself very late in the installs of the sabers and is primarily due to the way this particular saber is constructed.  To keep the shroud free from ugly screws, the three faux LED bezels are the primary means of holding the shroud on to the emitter.  They act as screws to hold the shroud in place.  The brass valve and red button pass through the shroud and into the emitter to act as the buttons.  Where the issue arises is that if the blade or blade plug is screwed in too tight, it will push the shroud down onto the red button.  This is what is causing the red button to stick.  If the LED bezels are kept fairly tight, then when the shroud is pushed down, it will stay down when the blade or blade plug is removed.  If you keep the LED bezels a little loose, then the shroud is free to float and it helps eliminate some of the red button stiking issue.  Unfortunately, this is only a band aid and the issue can return. 

There is some good news though.  There is a fix that you can do yourself to solve this problem. 

When this saber was designed, I made the decision to not have the set screws that hold the emitter crown on pass through the shroud and into the emitter itself.  Back onthe original Obi TPM saber run I did many years ago, this is how it was done and I had one saber that was dropped on the emitter end and when I received it back to fix it, the set screws were locked in place and the repair was somewhat of a nightmare.  I did not want to have that happen again so I chose not to repeat that mistake this time.  However, it looks like my choice to save myself some future hassles has resulted in a new issue in the present.  I am going to outline a procedure where you can make a simple fix and it will pin the shroud to the emitter so it does not move back and forth when the blade or blade plug is screwed in.

Remove the blade plug.  Looking inside the blade bore, you will see three holes around the bore just below the bore opening.

You will need a .050" hex allen wrench.

Insert allen wrench into one of the three holes in the emitter and loosen the set screw (you need to back the screw off from against the emitter crown). 

Repeat the set screw loosening on the other two holes and you will be able to remove the emitter crown.

Pick only one of the three screws and remove it from the saber.  This time you will need to 'tighten' the screw so it comes out the shroud on the outside of the saber.  You cannot back the screws through the emitter as it is not tapped.  The hole in the emitter is the correct size for 4-40 threads, but was never tapped - it is for allen wrench clearance.

With the screw out, the allen wrench should pass all the way through the saber.

By now, you should have only one screw removed - do not remove the other two screws.

You will now need a 4-40 tap and a tap wrench (T handle prefered).

Put the tap in the tap handle.

In the hole from which you removed the screw, tap through the shroud and the emitter so that the tap goes through and into the blade bore.

Back the tap out and stick the allen wrench through the hole.  You will now use a 4-40 x 1/4" long set screw and set in on the allen wrench and back screw it into the shroud/emitter threaded hole.

Make sure none of the screws are sticking out past the edge of the shroud circumference.

Place the emitter crown back over the shroud and insert the allen wrench back through the three holes from the blade bore and tighten the screws up against the emitter shroud.  The one longer set screw will now tighten against the emitter shroud and pass through the shroud and emitter.  This will pin the shroud to the emitter and prevent the shroud from moving.

You can now replace the blade or blade plug and check to make sure the red button is now working properly without sticking.

You could replace all three set screws, but I would advise against it for the reason I mentioned above about future repair issues.  If you have all three set screws going through both the shroud and the emitter and the saber gets dropped, the repair will be much more time consuming and much more expensive to do.  Just a little FYI.

For those who wish to attempt this fix.  This will not void your warranty, but I will not be held responsible for damage done to your saber by you during this fix (broken taps, lost parts, scratches, etc).  If you wish to have the fix, but do not want to try it yourself, contact me via PM and I will see how I can help you with this.

For those wishing to do the repair, you will need the following:
.050" hex allen wrench (ball end work much better)
4-40 tap
tap handle (T handle preffered)
one 4-40 x 1/4" set screw

You may source these parts locally, or I am offering to make a bulk purchase from my supplier and supply the hex wrench, 4-40 tap, and set screw for a cost of $4.00 per set.  I can also get economy T tap handles for an additional $5.00.

I will give everyone about a week or so to let me know if they want a parts kit or a parts kit + tap handle and then place the order.  I can ship a parts kit in a small bubble envelope mailer.  A parts kit + tap handle may need a larger package to ship in.  I will let everyone know what shipping will be once I figure out who wants what.

I apologoze for any problems this has caused for any of my customers.  I never even thought about the possibility of there being an issue with the red button when I designed this saber.  This issue popped up as the sabers were getting into people's hands.

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
Re: Red button issue and fix
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 01:00:49 PM »
Thanks for the detailed fix info!
Support our Font Makers!

Offline SgtBatten

• Master Force User
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie
    • Hardcore Online Gaming
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 01:48:03 PM »
havnt noticed this issue but if i ever do, great write up Wat.

favourited :D

Thanks
Sarge

Please Note that I will generally be AFK from now on.
I'll remain in contact with people i have current dealings with to the best of my ability.

Sign me up for the Maul Please

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 02:14:08 PM »
PM sent please put me down for parts kit + tap handle 

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline Sanjuro

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Sanjuro Systems
    • Sanjuro Systems
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 03:07:46 PM »
Wat,

Thank for this.

Please put me down for 1 kit as well (no tap handle)

I did notice the issue with my saber, but was really too impressed by the whole build...

Respectfully,
Sanjuro
SANJURO SYSTEMS - Custom Lightsaber Stands, Custom Chassis Disks for Lightsaber builds, and other related items.

My Business - Home

Japan Lightsaber Dueling Guild, Founding Member

Offline Lord Xeno

• Master Force User
  • Sith...they mostly come out at night. Mostly.
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 06:50:03 PM »
I've not had any issues with mine.  Play with it every day too.

Offline Scruffy Nerf Herder

• #1 supporter of Jar Jar for EPVII main lead character
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 01:27:39 AM »
I haven't had any issues as of yet :D

Offline LUKE SKYWALKER

• Formerly Egon Mcgregor
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Keeper of the Graflex
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 02:25:14 AM »
same here, no issues so far!
But I also thought oft fixing both, the red button and the brass valve with a drop of loctite...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 05:08:03 AM by EgonMcGregor »

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 05:41:31 AM »
are you screwing the blade in so its mildly tight so thers no wiggle?

when i screw mine in it locks/jams the red switch until i loosen it off a little
i dont have it tight, just enough so it doesnt wiggle when i swing it

OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline Acerocket

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 06:38:42 AM »
I will be ordering parts on Monday for these.  If you want a kit with or without tap handle, please let me know.

Offline LUKE SKYWALKER

• Formerly Egon Mcgregor
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Keeper of the Graflex
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 06:45:14 AM »
are you screwing the blade in so its mildly tight so thers no wiggle?

when i screw mine in it locks/jams the red switch until i loosen it off a little
i dont have it tight, just enough so it doesnt wiggle when i swing it

no, I do not have that issue when the blade is screwed in tight. I only glued the two buttons in the threads by using screw fixing adhesive mid grade. Now the red button and the valve do not move or unscrew anymore and the best: it is reversible  ;)

Offline Acerocket

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 03:13:57 PM »
No, I have not forgotten people on this issue.

Actually, only a handful of people actually asked for the repair parts.

I did order the screws, taps and tap handles on Monday the 5th.  I was expecting these to arrive by Friday.  But they never came Friday, over the weekend or this week so far.  I put in a  call to the supplier I bought them from and the tap handles are on back order.  They expected them in last week but they have not received them yet either.  I will let you know when they come in and get these taken care of for those of you who were interested.  If I don't hear that they have shipped by the end of this week, I will order from a different supplier.

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 11:22:15 AM »
any updates to this wat?
cant wait to fix up my hilt

OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline Acerocket

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 07:23:57 AM »
Updates?

Yes, the parts all finally arrived and I have seperated them and re-bagged them for each person who wanted a fix kit.  However, USPS decided to update and completely change their online shipping system over the weekend and so far, I have not been able to get international shipping quotes or print local labels.  Their system does not seem to have any problem running my credit card and taking my money (I tried printing one label 10 times over the course of two days only to find that USPS debitted my card for $14.65 each time I tried  - but I was never taken to the page to actually print the label).  I have to go in to the post office and ship the packages I have and get prices on my international kits.  Give me a few days to get this taken care off.  I will most likely head to the post office this afternoon or tomorrow to take care of all this mess.  I have been too busy at work this week and just haven't had the chance to head downtown and get it taken care of.

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 03:27:43 AM »
just peformed this fix on mine and it went well, now the emitter is solid with no movement at all and red button doesnt jam anymore when screwing blad or plug in

thanks for this fix wat job done  ;)