fiduciary

Author Topic: Orbital Machining Obi-Wan TPM Lightsaber #20 Review (with video)  (Read 4713 times)

Offline Scruffy Nerf Herder

• #1 supporter of Jar Jar for EPVII main lead character
  • Master Force User
Orbital Machining Obi-Wan TPM Lightsaber #20 Review (with video)
« on: February 26, 2012, 05:54:22 AM »
Thankfully my hilt showed up Friday however still awaiting the delivery of my blades.  Like others I couldn't put this down once it was in my hands.  In fact I was at a Comic Con this weekend as a Sith Apprentice and this hilt was hanging from my belt for a good portion of the event!  This is my first video review and I was trying to keep it short due to Photobucket's limited availability to video size.

The flash from my camera makes the black anodizing look purple but it is indeed black.  Enjoy!

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 06:03:32 AM by Darth Killemall »

• Master Force User

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
Re: Orbital Machining Obi-Wan TPM Lightsaber #20 Review (with video)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 06:09:41 AM »
nice pics my man... i love all these reviews
do you have to remove the sd card on yours to get the charge wire in? i have to on mine or eles it tends to eject the sd
im assuming the normal tenergy universal (lithium) charger will also work for charging this saber? as long as its set to 7.2v? mabey wat can clarify this

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 06:16:40 AM »
No I can charge it without removing the SD however sometimes the pommel cap will unlock the SD card.  I'm not sure on the charger question.

Offline C-3P0

• Formerly known as Dave316
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 06:32:06 AM »
Stunning pictures mate! I really like the look of the stand, it's just perfect. Nice and simple as to not take away from the saber, yet still a really nice looking display. It'll look even cooler with the Sanjuro plaque ;)

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 06:51:01 AM »
If no one else has that problem with the pommel ejecting the sd card, the cf may have been mounted too far toward the bottom of the saber.  With the tight tolerances in this saber, i wouldn't be surprised if 1-2mm was enough to make the difference.

I'm just speculating though since i have not heard anyone else mention this (even when you askes about it before).  I can also imagine that would be easy to miss for an installer.  Wouldn't imagine them unscrewing and screwing on the pommel cap a bunch of times after they finished.  They all did a great job at any rate. 

Great review for a great saber.   

Offline Acerocket

• Formerly known as Wat Tambor
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 07:37:07 AM »
It is possible the pommel could be causing the SD card to 'pop out'.  I don't really rememebr if any of the CFs were mounted so that the SD card was outside the recharge port plastic holder.  I do know I had one or two sabers that when I got them back from the installer, the SD card was loose and had to be re-inserted.  I just assumed they had possible 'popped out' during the shipping. 

In the early designs of the saber, and up through machining, the recharge port was just going to sit loose in the pommel on a wire whip.  There was no room for the recharge port in the saber because the CF, wiring and Li-ion PCB were taking up all the space in the pommel neck.  It wasn't until after all the saber had been shipped to the installers and one of the installers found that you could actually fit the Li-ion PCB up with the batteries that I had enough room to play with in the pommel neck to design the new ring setup.  Yes, that means I did not have the sabers in my hands anymore when I designed and machined those recharge port holders.  I shipped them out as quickly as possible to the installers so they could continue their work. 

As far as needing to remove an SD card to charge the saber - that is a new one to me.  My saber has just enough room to fit the larger diameter of the recharge jack in the port without hitting the SD card.  I did not charge any of the other saber so I did not realize any of them had a clearance issue.  But, it must be expected with a saber as tightly crammed as this Obi, that some trade-offs in ease of accessibility/use must be made to have a saber with such accuracy and hidden features.  If anyone is having issues with their saber and are not happy, let me know and I will see what can be done to help.  I can't promise I can solve every problem.  This saber is rather unique in how cramped it is and how it operates - some problems just have to be lived with, others can have solutions (there is one issue some users are having that I will address later today in a new post).

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 07:45:52 AM »
on 2nd testing the charge wire does actually fit "just".... without having to remove the sd card its tight but fits
are other chargers ok to use wat? like the tennergy universal? i use that one for my starkiller it has the same size charge wire and a 7.4v setting

also looking forward to that "fix"
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 08:03:42 AM by Scorpion »

OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline Acerocket

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 08:13:42 AM »
As far as I know, any LI-ion charger with a 7.2V setting 'should' work if the rated capacity is correct.  The battery pack in the Obi is only 1100 mAh.  The chargers I supplied are good for battery packs >=700mAh.  The next size charger I could have gotten is rated for >=1600mAh so it would not be good to use for an 1100 mAh pack.  As long as your charger is rated for packs >=1100 or less, you should be fine.  I do not know what the repurcussions would be is you used a higher capacity rated charger - it would obviously charge faster, but I have no idea if it would damage the batteries or not.  What Tenergy charger do you have?  Let me know a part/model number and I will look into it.

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!

OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline Sohryu76

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 09:37:58 AM »
I love seeing all these reviews...

but I am starting to feel like I am the only person who did not pick up the lighted LED bezels on my saber... :P
Proud Owner of:

Offline Lord Xeno

• Master Force User
  • Sith...they mostly come out at night. Mostly.
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 09:51:21 AM »

but I am starting to feel like I am the only person who did not pick up the lighted LED bezels on my saber... :P

IMHO the lighted emitter bezels really make this saber.  They almost look like separate LEDs (are they??) as opposed to 'windows' capturing the main LED light.

Not sure how the 'unlighted' option works but it may just be a matter of modifying it slightly should you decide to go that route.

Offline Sohryu76

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 10:08:47 AM »

IMHO the lighted emitter bezels really make this saber.  They almost look like separate LEDs (are they??) as opposed to 'windows' capturing the main LED light.

Not sure how the 'unlighted' option works but it may just be a matter of modifying it slightly should you decide to go that route.

I don't know either... but I wanted the most authentic saber I could get... and when I made the choice it was "well the LEDs in the bezels would take away from that authenticity"  and now I still think I made the right choice... but doesn't mean i don't REALLY like how they look
Proud Owner of:

Offline Acerocket

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 10:30:42 AM »
cheers wat this is my charger
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/37V-148V-Li-Ion-Smart-charger--P129.aspx

Yes, it should work.

Per the first line of the description on TCSS "Smart universal charger for Li-Ion and polymer Li-ion battery pack with capacity > 500mAh."  Since the packs in the Obi are 1100mAh, that is greater than 500.  Just make sure you are on 7.2V selection.

Sohryu76 - there were about 10 people who chose unlighted bezels.  Making them unlighted is a lot harder than making them lighted.  To block the light, the bezels are painted on the inside.  You are not alone - 1/3 of the sabers were that way.

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 11:33:44 AM »
wat that actual setting on the charger says 7.4v not 7.2v... the print on the bottom of the charger for the different settings says 3.7v 7.4v 11.1v and 14.8v
i notice on the instructions to the charger you included it says 3PL0508- 7.4V so im assuming the 7.4 v setting will be fine?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 11:36:28 AM by Scorpion »