fiduciary

Author Topic: Feedback for Roland (Ro Lightsabers)  (Read 3643 times)

Offline sithslayer1

• Master Force User
Feedback for Roland (Ro Lightsabers)
« on: May 29, 2013, 08:18:19 AM »
I recently purchased a Rahm Kota V3 empty hilt from Roland of Ro Lightsabers

5/5 on Communication- Roland answered my first email within 2-3 days and after that, each email I sent was replied to within 24 hrs ( He is in Europe). He was patient with my questions, sent a picture of the exact available hilt and confirmed payment recieved and when it would be shipped out promptly.

Shipping- 5/5- Roland shipped this off to me last Tuesday from Europe and I recieved it one week later. It was bubble wrapped and no damage to the box or hilt!

Workmanship- 5/5- This can be seen on his website, Ro Lightsabers. This V3 Rahm Kota is acid weathered and the hilt has distressed cracks, minor dings & dents to show authentic looking field use and battle scars. The leather wrap is also excellent and distressed as well.
At 13", she's robust but appears in proportion, not oversized.

I requested mine with a 1" blade holder, which he kindly provided.

All in all, a pleasant 5/5 transaction. I would buy from Roland again.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 10:01:33 AM by sithslayer1 »

Offline roland

• Force User
    • RO-LIGHTSABER
Re: Feedback for Roland (Ro Lightsabers)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 05:47:31 AM »
THANKS BRO!

Offline Lord Bane

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • LB CUSTOM SABERS
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 12:41:16 PM »
I bought a Kota saber hilt from Roland. The hilt is nicely designed with a perfect weight. The weathering is superb and the leather wrap was amazing. I was very disappointed in the pommel however, being made from a cheesy plastic plug, I would have expected one that matched this beautiful hilt, thus forcing me to fabricate my own pommel. I also wanted a specific length that was longer than I asked for.
All in all though, Roland is a great guy who makes a solid product. He's great on communication and turn around time was very fast.

5/5 Stars

Offline DarthFM

• Force User
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 12:40:36 PM »
I bought 2 sabers from Roland and Balazs: a Rahm Kota, and the Kestrel as an empty hilt.

The hilts are superb, awesome workmanship.
Excellent communication throughout the process - I asked A LOT of questions, and the guys always responded quickly.

The BEST after-sales service: I had to send back the Kota because the blade was a little wobbly in the hilt. I also let them know that I would have liked to have the aux button (the fault was mine, as I didn't specify initially that I wanted one as opposed to having a 'screen accurate' hilt) - Roland took care of everything, fixed the hilt, added the aux button and even upgraded for free the soundboard to a PC2.0!!

I will definitely do business with Ro-Lightsabers again.

5/5

Offline DarthFM

• Force User
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 12:47:32 PM »
I bought another amazing hilt from Roland (his Starkiller V4 Mythos).
Again, great service and fast delivery, and amazing hilt - 5/5!!!!

Offline SithStalker

• Keeper of the red blade
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 05:18:29 AM »
He sold me a Kota with mythos weathering, box and blade plug  :)

5/5

Haha... Well, it's a fool's errand, boy. The Emperor's army is infinite. You'll eventually be killed... or worse... and nothing will have changed.

Offline LordFreeMoon

• Padawan Learner
  • By the Force, I know you are alive
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 01:19:20 PM »
I bought the Starkiller V5 from Roland, and I'm really happy and proud to own one of his saber...

Communication: Everything was perfectly clear
Shipping: Fast, Perfect with a lot of bubble wrap :)
Hilt: in a nice wooden box + 1 additionnal pommel

Great artist to buy from ! 5/5 ALL STARS

Offline jamesjynus

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 12:56:49 PM »
I bought the Seth the Atlantean saber from RO/Roland, very happy with the purchase and would recommend buying from him.

The saber was great with unique attention to details and great weathering. Communication is great and package was great with a lot of bubble wraps both on the inside and outside.

Great artist to buy from ! 5/5 ALL STARS

Offline jamesjynus

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 12:59:24 PM »
I bought the Sith Antra lightsaber from Roland last year. It was a relatively simpler saber with a crystal core and without a full review. The saber is based on a KR empty hilt but Roland made great customization on the saber so I barely recognized the original hilt anymore. Great communications and shipping as always!

5/5!!!

Offline jamesjynus

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 01:02:26 PM »
This is my third purchase directly from Roland, this time i bought the Isis the atlantean lightsaber from him. This is one of my favorite with very unique design and great electronics (double bluetooth). The saber weights a ton and is very sturdy. It's a the best display piece. I also love the hard case box that comes with the saber. Overall purchase experience is great as always. Communication is prompt and shipping was fast.

5/5 as always!!!!

Offline jamesjynus

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 01:05:01 PM »
My 4th and most recent purchase from Roland/RO. I bought the KOTA with full reveal V2. Eversince I saw the kota reveal V1 I've always wanted one so I jumped at the V2 when it came out. It's the best kota in the world in my opinion. RO's attention to detail and art design is just unmatched. Very happy and feel honored to be able to own this piece of art!

5/5!!!

Offline jamesjynus

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 01:07:47 PM »
My 5th and most recent purchase from RO/Roland was the Rogue one vader. It's one of the few canon hilts I purchased from him. I really like the reveal part on the saber and the bluetooth capabilities. Roland did a great job on customizing the base korbanth hilt and the result is just amazing. The weathering on the saber is superb and not overdone. Roland also accommodated my requests to make a 2nd customized wooden display box for the saber. Communications and shipping were great.

5/5!!!

Offline Darth Pastrami

• Banned
  • No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 05:59:05 PM »
As once the proud owner of some Roland sabers, and selling a couple recently, I ran into a problem.  After barely any use, it stopped charging.  No big deal, small part, easy to change out, maybe resolver wires, replace the part.  When I took the saber apart, it floored me.  The board and the battery were wrapped in electrical tape, the wires, too, not to mention a rats nest, and two LEDs stuck in the mix of a chamber barely capable of holding both battery and board.  So much in fact, it would have been impossible for the battery to not stretch the board.

I managed to get the saber charged through a complex jimmy rigging system.  The board had stopped responding to swings and hits 95% of the time.  You'd have to swing the saber like a baseball bat into a pillow to get a hit. The mess I discovered inside was as shocking as the Ethan Zimmer debacle I discovered.  Hoping to sell this saber for at least $2500, I pulled it off the market.  It turns out I am far from the only one to experience severe electronic issues with Rolands sabers.  I wondered why he got 15 LEDs on a Prism 4.0 board, it's because each accent pad runs three of them.  They are build and designed to fail at a $7000 price tag.

I confronted Roland and when I said that I can tell my story or have him help me fix the problem with the saber, which was an unpleasant conversation, he related not with customer service, but with blackmail.  After smoothing the service, he asked me to try again and explain the problem, and I agreed to his solutions and to pay him for the work.  3 messages and a month later, he sends me this message:

To the attention of Mr J. Hawken!

As we have written before, we totally deny the voice you use in your messages.

Your activity is a simple blackmail, well documented here in your written messages. What you are doing is crime, legally.

We wont do any free work for you, that has been stated, also dont try giving us any deadline or so, totally priceless.

You are free to do what you like, but be aware of faceing the consequencies!

For further communication, in this attitude - please do not send any message as wont be replied!

Best regards

Rolightsaber

His explanation of blackmail is that I told him this line specifically:

if you choose to do nothing, echoes of this will go thourgh Echoes through the community??? Your activity will do so, you can be sure. Anyway, we have heard about it...

How do you come doing all this???

It sounds blackmail clearly, all documented here. Yes, you are completely right this case should be escalated!

Do not come with this tale buying saber from us, totally clear what you are doing.

If you can change the tone you are writing to us, immediately, then you can tell us what you would like to have serviced and how then we can discuss and tell you a price for it.

If you are continue this kind of communication, then yes we "escalate" this blackmail case, for sure!

My réponse to him was this:

At this point it’s up to you if I matter as a customer and how much you value your reputation with me, if you’re the kind of company that will go the extra mile that buys them goodwill and a great customer service story that echoes through the saber community, or one that charges a lot of money for sabers and doesn’t stand by them or help their customers by offering any solutions. Whatever choice you make is yours to decide, but I think you know exactly what you should do to rectify this situation as you have all the power here. The fact is that you still have a customer who would like to buy sabers from you, but now isn’t sure about the wiring done on your current work or that you’ll stand by your sabers if something goes wrong, regardless if it’s the result of a design flaw or a component failure that happened over time. I really hope that you make a choice that is mutually beneficial for both of us.

His réponse to my message was this:

Echoes through the community??? Your activity will do so, you can be sure. Anyway, we have heard about it...

How do you come doing all this???

It sounds blackmail clearly, all documented here. Yes, you are completely right this case should be escalated!

Do not come with this tale buying saber from us, totally clear what you are doing.

If you can change the tone you are writing to us, immediately, then you can tell us what you would like to have serviced and how then we can discuss and tell you a price for it.

If you are continue this kind of communication, then yes we "escalate" this blackmail case, for sure!

My reply to him:

Roland,

I must have not worded my message properly at all, I am in no way threatening you, blackmailing you, or making any demands of you nor would I ever want to do such a thing or make you think that I am thinking of such a thing. I know what I was trying to say but I said it in such a strange way, so if you could do me the favor of please forgetting everything I said and allow me to start over, let me start here for apologizing in accidentally conveying a threatening response in what appeared to be an attempt to manipulate you into doing things for me at your expense. I’m having someone do that to me after they repaired my lightsabers and broken them even more than they were before, and he’s a criminal defense lawyer, I would never want to do that to anyone. So I’m very terribly sorry and want to start over here…

I’m feeling very heartbroken over the current circumstances with my Starkiller and Mara Jade sabers, and since I’m the second owner and three sabers are over a year old, I would love to know if and what you might be able to do for me with these sabers that need to be rewired and have some electronics replaced/repaired, and if possible, have a couple things upgraded at the same time. I can go into more detail later on, if you’ll allow me. I would also like to know if it’s possible to see the wiring on the Rey saber for reassurance, provided you are even willing to sell it to me or let me preorder a saber like the qui-gon or the Yoda (which I presume already sold, and that one is the coolest Yoda saber I’ve ever seen). Please forgive me even if you choose to deny me service.

-Jonathan

Roland then Kindly replied to me:

We can do the service but need to know exactly what you would like to have, then we can calculate the price. Tell us as detailed as you can, to make sure you will get what you would like to have!

Payment only direct bank transfer, no paypal at all.

Thanks

I assumed we had worked something out, but I sent four messages to him over a month that got no reply:

MESSAGE 1

I’d like to just start with the MJV2RO as there are many people that want to buy the starkiller and it presently works perfectly.

The recharge port doesn’t work, so it’s impossible to charge the battery. I’ve tried 5 different chargers. After about an hour I was able to find a position where it would charge, but even just breathing in that direction would make it unplug and stop charging. The reason I was trying to charge the saber is because low batteries can make the saber perform oddly, and the problem was that it takes a lot of force to swing the saber for a sound to register, and you have to hit the saber very hard for a clash to happen. I pulled out the SD card and discovered the wiring, electrical tape, and the two accent LEDs that were kind of stuffed together at the bottom. The wiring to me is very much a mess, and I would ideally like it cleaned up. Anyway, the settings on the board in the override file are as follows:

## Override File
vol=4
beep=40
valsnd=1
switch=2
offp=0
offd=200
lc=400
hs=200
ls=70
i=53
swing=200
clash=150
lockup=200

As you can see, the values are set very much on the low side, leading be to believe that there may be a problem with the board. This will need to be troubleshot to determine if the SD card needs to be reformatted and reprogrammed or if the board itself needs to be replaced. I was hoping to change the board to a Prize 5.1 anyway and use a more powerful battery than a 3.7v 750mah battery. I would also like to add bluetooth R.I.C.E. or an easily accessible R.I.C.E. port to avoid needing to access the board in the future and easily change settings, and add there magic activation where you use that magnetic ring to power the saber on/off. Bluetooth for speakers would be nice, but if that can’t work, maybe we could add the d.a.c. amplifier. I would also like to have those accent LEDs stuffed in the pommel moved elsewhere where they can be seen, heck, I’d love to have as many accent LEDs tastefully added to this saber if possible. The single blue LED in the bubble card is cool, but maybe a few SMD LEDs in there would be more dramatic. I would also like to upgrade the saber so it has a TRICree RGB and matches the crystal with a 5mm RGB LED (red blade, red crystal, yellow flash FoC, yellow crystal FoC), or get a neopixel blade setup done depending how much that costs and if there’s room for the battery. If it’s really expensive, maybe you could just set it with a neopixel connector in the emitter and I can construct my own blade with the help of a friend (who builds a lot of them).

I’m open to suggestions though. At bare minimum, I need the recharge port replaced, the board/board settings fixed with a RICE port that’s easy to access, and to have the wiring cleaned up, possibly redone from scratch. What would be the shipping costs roughly, do you know?

Would it be possible to see a video of the REY saber showing off bluetooth RICE for audio and android, and see if maybe your’e willing to negotiate on the price? If not, maybe I can preorder a saber? I definitely want something like the qui-got or the Yoda, with a chassis going all the way through, lots of accent LEDs and beautiful crystal chambers, bluetooth rice and bluetooth for speakers, magic activation, and at the very least a Prizm 5.1 board or a Crystal Shard v4. A CFv9 would be fine too.

Thanks so much.

-Jonathan

MESSAGE 2

Hi Roland,

I haven’t heard back from you regarding the possibility of repairing this saber. I would be fine to just replace the board and recharge port. I even have the parts, but I cannot navigate the wiring without taking the saber completely apart. I’d love to make the saber RGB, but at this point, my biggest priority is repair.

Thanks!

-Jonathan

MESSAGE 3

Hi Roland,

I haven’t heard back from you regarding the possibility of repairing this saber. I would be fine to just replace the board and recharge port. I even have the parts, but I cannot navigate the wiring without taking the saber completely apart. I’d love to make the saber RGB, but at this point, my biggest priority is repair.

Thanks!

-Jonathan

MESSAGE 4

Hi Roland,

I would greatly appreciate a response from you. I haven’t heard from you in two weeks, and this was the sort of thing I was talking about before, where it seems like all communication just gets dropped before we can reach any kind of transaction for payment of goods/services. I hope to hear from you within the next few days at the latest.

-Jonathan

Then comes time for Roland:

To the attention of Mr J. Hawken!

As we have written before, we totally deny the voice you use in your messages.

Your activity is a simple blackmail, well documented here in your written messages. What you are doing is crime, legally.

We wont do any free work for you, that has been stated, also dont try giving us any deadline or so, totally priceless.

You are free to do what you like, but be aware of faceing the consequencies!

For further communication, in this attitude - please do not send any message as wont be replied!

Best regards

Rolightsaber

So, at this point I'm tired of this run around.  In truth, I've been trying to buy a saber from him for over a year, but like the correspondence you've seen, which I can back up by hard copy should anyone wish to revivew it, this is the way they treat their customers who they sell mediocre products to.  I have clearly rattled something, and I know from talking that I'm far from the only one.

Now, it's time to see what saber he's talking about.  First picture is of the saber in question.  The six after are what I discovered attempting to determine the damage and repairability:

These are the six photos of the impeccable, if I do say so myself, of the wiring job:

As you can see, these are not just amateurish jobs, these are substandard for $200 sabers.  $5000-$8000 is what they charge.  While I love their overall design concepts, these are, well, I'll let the pictures do the talking.  I did not tamper with these in any way.  SoCalSabers after reading my story has agreed not only to fix this saber, but to make it into what it should have been and more, so I am TREMENDOUSLY grateful to them for reaching out and helping me with this.

Thank you all for reading.  Please share your legitimate stories if you've experienced anything similar, because I know I am not the only one!  Thank you for giving me a voice.

Read more: Oops, there was an error! | The Rebel Armory

retrousse