fiduciary

Author Topic: K3GR2 - Cù Sìth  (Read 7002 times)

Offline chaos_79

• Force User
K3GR2 - Cù Sìth
« on: September 18, 2014, 12:44:42 PM »
K3GR2 Entry

Cù Sìth

First let me explain the name. I always try to have some sort of connection with the name and this time I went with a mythical scottish creature called a Cù Sìth.

According to Scottish folklore, the Cù-Sìth is said to be the size of a young bull with the appearance of a wolf. Its fur is shaggy, and usually cited as being dark green though sometimes white. Its tail is described as being long and either coiled up or plaited (braided). Its paws are described as being the width of a man's hand.

The Cù-Sìth is thought to make its home in the clefts of rocks in the Highlands, and also to roam the moors and highlands.

The Cù-Sìth was feared as a harbinger of death and would appear to bear away the soul of a person to the afterlife, similar to the manner of the Grim Reaper. In this role the Cù-Sìth holds in Scottish folklore a function similar to that of the Bean Sidhe, or banshee, in Irish folklore.

According to legend, the creature was capable of hunting silently, but would occasionally let out three terrifying bays, and only three, that could be heard for miles by those listening for it, even far out at sea. Those who hear the baying of the Cù-Sìth must reach safety by the third bark or be overcome with terror to the point of death.

As soon as the design for the K3GR2 was finalised, i began working on my interpritation. First of all I knew its was going to be a sith saber and I wanted to have some sort of crystal chamber, infact a fully exposed chamber. When we got the hilts I knew staight away I wanted to have several rear grips, with it being a sith saber I thought, that would be fitting. I could imagine a sith being a sort of person to changing his hilt around when he liked. So i decided to have several rear grips, the original one, a bone/horn one, a leather one and a wood one. Unfortunitly the wood one didn't work out. I had Jeffrey make me a wooden grip, when i got it, it fitted fine but after a few months it had shrunk then when I tried to put it on it split. I thought the different grips would have come from the siths different adventures, like the bone/horn and leather came from a bull ranchor he had to defeat. The brass spine on the upper part of the hilt with the red crystal was also done in solidworks and printed. The crystal is ment to be his old masters lightsaber crystal that he kept when he killed him.

I had the crystal chamber designed before I even got the hilt. This is how I envisioned it.

I used parts from old pc HDs and then made up other parts in solidworks and had them printed. Heres how they looked when I got them.

The bottom of the chamber would also hold the 20mm speaker so the sound would come through the chamber itself. I was going to create a rear chassis in solidworks but when my pc died I lost my only copy of solidworks. I did manage to get the rear bone/horn sleeve done before this so that was fine.

Anyway, after a little paint and some apoxy the chamber was together. The only problem was space, I didn't have enough for the switches up near the emitter. So i got Daren at JQ sabers to cut the blade holder down at the threaded section and had him make me a new led module. I also got them to do the anodising. I had them media blast it then anodise the parts black.

Next was the sleeves, I wanted to try out the acid etching technique. So i came up with a design that was inspired by the 2014 commonwealth games queens baton. It was a lattice design. First time I did it and it worked perfectly.

So onto the pics.

I love the way each rear grip changes the look and feel of the saber.

and the video

K3GR2 - YouTube

So this was my very first CF saber, both owning and wiring one up. I'm pretty poud of myself apart from the FoC, its not as bright as I would hope. I think I may need to change the resistor.

Thanks to everyone involved in this, its been a privilage.

Only one wiring pic I'm afraid

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
Re: K3GR2 - Cù Sìth
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 12:49:57 PM »
Another spectacular build.  I really love the Starkilleresque crystal chamber and the different grip options! 8)

Facebook: VVFB

Offline SithStalker

• Keeper of the red blade
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 12:55:34 PM »
ohh wow the crystal is beautiful  ^-^

Haha... Well, it's a fool's errand, boy. The Emperor's army is infinite. You'll eventually be killed... or worse... and nothing will have changed.

Offline Arryck Corso

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 12:59:49 PM »
B-E-A-Utiful!

The question isn't who is going to let me;  It's who is going to stop me!

Offline 97th Acolyte

• Master Force User
  • [insert witty comment here]
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 01:01:43 PM »
This whole concept is amazing! I love the design, the chamber, the Etched grip... Just everything. :D
Proud owner of:       JSK1 - Jaina Solo Kotobukiya lightsaber - created by Bombarta
Harp's Starkiller/Kylo Ren fusion - Prizm                      
Deadpool's Deathstick - CS2.5 Reveal, JQsabers               
JK-Sabers Battle damaged/Reveal Maul - Empty             
US Raven
Korbanth:
 Darth Maul - Empty
 Duke - NBv2, JQSabers
 Qui Gon - NBv2, MasterSabers

Offline cannibal869

• I dub thee Darth..........Lecter.
  • Master Force User
  • NUCLEAR POWERED JEDI at work!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 01:16:55 PM »
Chaos, I will echo what I said earlier - this was and still is one of my favorite sabers in the competition. The idea, execution, and beauty of this saber really make it an outstanding addition and contribution!

Offline naigon

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Naigon's Electronic Creations
    • SaberIgniter.com
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 02:14:56 PM »
You know, if I wouldn't have seen that crazy over-the-top gun conversion first, I would have said this would have been the clear winner! Great execution, very detailed and the overall sleekness/color scheme works well. Multi-grips was cool when Ray did it on his Telam saber with the 7 forms grips, and it is cool on this saber too.
Naigon
Igniter developer/creater - my site is in my profile!
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=29490.0

Offline Wildcard

• Master Force User
  • This is an ex-parrot.
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 03:10:48 PM »
Great overall design - wonderful color-scheme, etching, and chamber/crystal!

Offline Parsaver

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 07:21:06 AM »
Amazing!  Would you mind revealing your source for the crystal?  it looks epic!

Offline Greebles

• Formerly known as Codeweasel
  • Master Force User
  • “You must unlearn what you have learned.”
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 07:46:08 AM »
Love the grips on this one!

CC is nice too.

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 10:44:48 AM »
This might be the best ever crystal chamber I've seen.

Seems like the VV LOTR saber cutout shape, and some Starkiller style cues, but the small details such as the twists in the spindles and the copper wire wrap are spectacular. I think it looks like it realistically works.

The rest of this hilt is very nice and definitely looks like a true Sith would carry this.

Offline chaos_79

• Force User
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 04:59:03 AM »
Thanks guys. I was really happy how this turned out.

You know, if I wouldn't have seen that crazy over-the-top gun conversion first, I would have said this would have been the clear winner! Great execution, very detailed and the overall sleekness/color scheme works well. Multi-grips was cool when Ray did it on his Telam saber with the 7 forms grips, and it is cool on this saber too.

The funny thing was, I came up with the idea of changeable grips before ray revealed his saber but because of the competition I couldn't say anything. Slightly gutted about that.

Amazing!  Would you mind revealing your source for the crystal?  it looks epic!

That's simple, i got it off eBay. It's just glass teardrop crystal.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 10:45:55 AM »
It may have been "just glass teardrop crystal" from EvilBay but its what you DID with it that is so impressive...one of the best exposed crystal chambers I've seen. I wondered about the interchangeable grips too but figured it was probably because of the rules that you couldn't say anything when that saber came out...you must have been biting your tongue eh? lol. Well 'twas a great idea well executed in both cases. This saber has so many little details that it is a real standout in a contest full of outstanding builds. BRAVO!
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline chaos_79

• Force User
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 04:49:17 AM »
It may have been "just glass teardrop crystal" from EvilBay but its what you DID with it that is so impressive...one of the best exposed crystal chambers I've seen. I wondered about the interchangeable grips too but figured it was probably because of the rules that you couldn't say anything when that saber came out...you must have been biting your tongue eh? lol. Well 'twas a great idea well executed in both cases. This saber has so many little details that it is a real standout in a contest full of outstanding builds. BRAVO!

Thank dude. Ever since the whole machinedefect incident with the starkiller, and not getting mine I've wanted a starkiller so much but could not afford a vv so thought I'd do the best crystal chamber I could in this.

Believe me, I really was biting my tongue....literally lol I do have plans for other grips in the future too. That's the great thing about this, if I get bored with the saber (which I doubt will ever happen) or I want to change it up a bit I can just make a new rear grip. Still want to get the wooden one that I messed up. :)

Offline JQsabers

• Makers of Heroes....
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
    • jqsabers
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 05:59:47 AM »
Beautifully finished :)

retrousse