fiduciary

Author Topic: El Sid, A POC by LDM  (Read 8185 times)

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
Re: El Sid, A POC by LDM
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2014, 07:27:18 PM »

Offline Nihillus

• Force User
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2014, 06:26:50 AM »
Awesome job with the install GG, it looks great.  I am really looking forward to seeing what Xwing comes up with also.  I think that the red and green led's not being lit up switches is a deal breaker for me personally.  I'll keep mine as a static display otherwise.

Offline xwingband

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2014, 12:43:07 PM »
Awesome job with the install GG, it looks great.  I am really looking forward to seeing what Xwing comes up with also.  I think that the red and green led's not being lit up switches is a deal breaker for me personally.  I'll keep mine as a static display otherwise.

To be clear, besides this being in LDM's forum and the whole FX-Sabers land, I will not being doing any installs.  I've been down that road and I want to build sabers because it's fun. :)) I will however share my files for my ideas with drawings and images.  One thing that has drastically changed in just a few years is the availability of 3D printing and laser cutting.  I need the saber in hand for measurements, but I've got a design already for my resin Sidious that should be adaptable to printing (and laser cutting to a lesser degree).  The resin one is more generous with room but it's no 12" MHS saber at all.

The gist is the pommel design on these looks limiting and I will have a inner core printed.  I modeled a pommel design that is more accurate and should gain some more room.  With a printed core my goal is to be able to slide in the entire light up portion.  The LEDs will just have some slack so you can press them in place from the blade emitter and continue to slide the core until it gets under the LEDs, then a single set screw to hold the core in.

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2014, 01:26:02 PM »

To be clear, besides this being in LDM's forum and the whole FX-Sabers land, I will not being doing any installs.  I've been down that road and I want to build sabers because it's fun. :)) I will however share my files for my ideas with drawings and images.  One thing that has drastically changed in just a few years is the availability of 3D printing and laser cutting.  I need the saber in hand for measurements, but I've got a design already for my resin Sidious that should be adaptable to printing (and laser cutting to a lesser degree).  The resin one is more generous with room but it's no 12" MHS saber at all.

The gist is the pommel design on these looks limiting and I will have a inner core printed.  I modeled a pommel design that is more accurate and should gain some more room.  With a printed core my goal is to be able to slide in the entire light up portion.  The LEDs will just have some slack so you can press them in place from the blade emitter and continue to slide the core until it gets under the LEDs, then a single set screw to hold the core in.

@X...I look forward to seeing it!

@everyone....LOL, and just to be clearer...er...er...I did machine this pommel to gain another half inch...without that there would have been no install ;) 

retrousse