fiduciary

Author Topic: Announcing TeensySaber V2  (Read 9837 times)

Offline Ben Starkiller

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Re: Announcing TeensySaber V2
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2017, 09:46:10 PM »
Quote from: profezzorn

I2S amp might be pretty cool, and might give better sound quality. 2-cell battery packs really only makes
sense if you have a constant-current power supply I think, otherwise you're just going to waste a lot of power in resistors.

There are a few, LED2001, LT3476(Quad channel, VIN=2.8-16v), or even multiple AMC7135.  The first two will require inductors. I want to find some 1A constant current ones like the AMC7135 that can handle the 3W LEDs with no resistors required at all that will also reduce component count on the PCB.

[on the ESP32] That would be pretty cool. Are you intending to build on the TeensySaber code base? I might be able to help out with some of the software stuff if the thing you're interested.

I was thinking about it or looking through the other code bases(LightsaberOS,FX-SaberOS). I like your pick of IMU better than the MPU6050.

I've been thinking of replacing the booster with another chip that automatically switches between buck and boost and can handle inputs up to 16 volts, which would be kind of cool as anything up to 4 cells would just work. However, as I said before; without a constant-current drive system, dual-battery setups aren't that great.

Well if you do go down that route later look at the LTC3114 or look at this ULDO 3A LP3963 set to 3.3v. The I2S amp I was looking at is the MAX98357A.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 09:53:57 PM by Ben Starkiller »

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2017, 10:40:06 PM »
Well if you do go down that route later look at the LTC3114 or look at this ULDO 3A LP3963 set to 3.3v. The I2S amp I was looking at is the MAX98357A.

With that amplifier (or any class D amplifier), you still need a 5v rail to feed the amplifier, or it's going to be pretty quiet.

Offline Ben Starkiller

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 12:20:51 PM »
Then the 5v buck-boost for the amp and the 3.3v LDO for the MCU/IMU/FTDI it is. Checked the datasheets and it seems the AMP puts out below 1.4w at a VIN of 3.6v so 3.3v could be around 1w half the max power of the better speakers.

Oh and I might go with a STM32F1/F4 and FTDI interface as the Teensy's setup of using a separate MCU for programing makes it harder and more expensive as one with the bootloader is needed from PJRC. Also the STM32 IC's are cheaper than the MK20DX256VLH7. Also demo boards of the STM32F1/F4 are cheaper than a Teensy 3.1/3.2 so testing will be cheaper.

I just came across a very interesting AMP that you should consider. The TI TPA2015. It has a built in 5v booster specifically for using directly from a battery. Look at the inexpensive SRN2512-2R2M inductor to use with it. You could then run the Teensy directly from the battery. This would eliminate your 5v booster and would improve overall efficiency.

Also have you seen this? May the Fourth with a Special Announcement | Artekit
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 12:25:09 PM by Ben Starkiller »

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2017, 03:58:20 PM »
Then the 5v buck-boost for the amp and the 3.3v LDO for the MCU/IMU/FTDI it is. Checked the datasheets and it seems the AMP puts out below 1.4w at a VIN of 3.6v so 3.3v could be around 1w half the max power of the better speakers.

Just remember that watts are (roughly) proportional to the square of the voltage...

Oh and I might go with a STM32F1/F4 and FTDI interface as the Teensy's setup of using a separate MCU for programing makes it harder and more expensive as one with the bootloader is needed from PJRC. Also the STM32 IC's are cheaper than the MK20DX256VLH7. Also demo boards of the STM32F1/F4 are cheaper than a Teensy 3.1/3.2 so testing will be cheaper.

The reason I have stuck with teensy so far is that I don't have to worry about building and maintaining the client software. Paul does that.

I just came across a very interesting AMP that you should consider. The TI TPA2015. It has a built in 5v booster specifically for using directly from a battery. Look at the inexpensive SRN2512-2R2M inductor to use with it. You could then run the Teensy directly from the battery. This would eliminate your 5v booster and would improve overall efficiency.
Yeah, that might be a good option for the future.

Also have you seen this? May the Fourth with a Special Announcement | Artekit
I had not seen that. Looks pretty nice, but seems to be missing a gyroscope. Also, it seems that the LED drivers seem to weak to handle some of the stuff I like to do. (Like cutting the power to a neopixel strip.)

Offline prezenmod

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 08:48:00 AM »
I have now open-sourced the test rig for the TeensySaber, not sure if it will be useful to anybody, but here it is anyways. newbielink:https://kitchenlola.com/best-drip-coffee-maker/ [nonactive]

Actually it has been very useful to me Thanks. I'll post here once I'm finished. I think ZIP format is the best for the KiCad files. File manager did not recognize it at first.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 11:43:33 PM by prezenmod »

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2017, 09:59:11 AM »
I have now open-sourced the test rig for the TeensySaber, not sure if it will be useful to anybody, but here it is anyways.

Actually it has been very useful to me Thanks. I'll post here once I'm finished. I think ZIP format is the best for the KiCad files. File manager did not recognize it at first.

Now I'm curious: Post what exactly?

Offline prezenmod

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2017, 01:07:25 PM »
My finished board. Don't worry it's only mine and I'm not selling it or anything like that. I'll post on my own thread then.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 01:13:34 PM by prezenmod »

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2017, 02:15:33 PM »
My finished board. Don't worry it's only mine and I'm not selling it or anything like that. I'll post on my own thread then.

Feel free to post here if you like.
And I'd be super-happy if you did sell them. (Then maybe I wouldn't have to.)
I take open-source seriously, and I love to see spin-offs and competition.
Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. :)

Offline Jessevdg

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 05:05:59 AM »
Is it also possible to use a WS2812B led strip

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner