fiduciary

Author Topic: Handles on Lightsaber becoming tacky?  (Read 9847 times)

Offline Trailbreaker77

• No Force
Handles on Lightsaber becoming tacky?
« on: December 02, 2016, 05:19:11 AM »
Yesterday I was replacing the batteries in some of my lightsabers and I noticed that most of the lightsabers that have rubber in the handle have become tacky to the touch.  Obviously just the rubber part of the hilt is sticky to the touch but it's really bad.  Has anyone else come across this?  I have them stored in a display case and I've figured I leave the case open for a while to see if the air circulation would help the problem but I'm not convinced it will.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

TB77

Offline Scarecrow

• Force User
Re: Handles on Lightsaber becoming tacky?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 08:18:26 AM »
If yours are MR/Hasbro sabers then, yes, sticky grips is a common problem.  They normally have hard plastic t-tracks with a rubberized coating that breaks down over time.  I've managed to remove the coating with a putty knife and hot soapy water.  Obviously, I did this on stripped down hilts I was converting and not sabers with electronics inside.  My suggestion would be to leave them alone unless you're converting them.  If you try to use something to strip the coating you'll only make a huge mess that you'll regret.  Thinners and goo-gone dry quickly and leave globs of hardened residue that are even more difficult to remove.   I made that mistake once.  Only once. 

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 04:53:56 PM »
Would a buff wheel do better? I've used one to remove similar coatings.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 05:56:10 PM »
Please be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after handling those 'tacky' grips - the Force alone knows what kind of perhaps toxic chemical residues are leeching out of that rubber as it breaks down so better to be careful handling it eh?
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Trailbreaker77

• No Force
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 03:39:35 PM »
If yours are MR/Hasbro sabers then, yes, sticky grips is a common problem.  They normally have hard plastic t-tracks with a rubberized coating that breaks down over time.  I've managed to remove the coating with a putty knife and hot soapy water.  Obviously, I did this on stripped down hilts I was converting and not sabers with electronics inside.  My suggestion would be to leave them alone unless you're converting them.  If you try to use something to strip the coating you'll only make a huge mess that you'll regret.  Thinners and goo-gone dry quickly and leave globs of hardened residue that are even more difficult to remove.   I made that mistake once.  Only once. 

Thanks for the information and I will take your advice and not do anything.  I wonder if I try and put a clear coat of acrylic over top if it would help it?

My sabers are a mix of MR & Hasbro the Vader saber is the worse one of the bunch the Yoda & Anakin are better after the week of being out of my case.

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Offline Scarecrow

• Force User
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 12:02:41 PM »
I don't think a clear coat would help considering the substrate is unstable.  Also, big chance of messing things up.  I'd just let it keep breaking down until it will come off with a plastic scraper.  Otherwise, just leave it be.   

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 04:13:22 PM »
it comes off with rubbing alcohol.  and elbow grease. ;)  I managed to clean it all off my Luke ESB a few months ago..  I just checked it again today and it's still clean, its not 'growing back'. (and yes the grips underneath are indeed hard plastic now that the rubberized coating is removed).

"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

Offline masteryogi

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 06:50:43 AM »
I just cleaned my Starwars case and was worried that my room was getting too hot. But it sounds like this normal and I will leave my sabers alone. But if I choose the try and remove the coating with rubbing alcohol would it ruin my saber or just remove the coating and leave black plastic. I was also thinking what if I just remove and replace with windshield wiper blades. They originally used wiper blades on the sabers, just a matter of finding the right one to use.

Offline Keske944

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2023, 08:22:16 PM »
it comes off with rubbing alcohol.  and elbow grease. ;)  I managed to clean it all off my Luke ESB a few months ago..  I just checked it again today and it's still clean, its not 'growing back'. (and yes the grips underneath are indeed hard plastic now that the rubberized coating is removed).

Good info to have.  I have a Yoda that is doing the same thing

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2023, 10:07:48 AM »
you can either clean it off or spray paint them, spray painting does work i did this yrs ago to a lighgun grip that was going sticky and its still good to this day

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7