fiduciary

Author Topic: MR Qui-Gon LE converted with CF 5...UPDATED with new pics and video  (Read 14624 times)

Offline CHEWBACCA

• JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
I love the design of the Qui-gon saber but always wanted a deep groove version.  I got one (MR LE) from a customer of mine a while back and took it to the machine shop to bore it out with a 1" hole down the neck.  I got it back (its in several pieces after you take it apart) and put it in a drawer until I felt like messing with it.  Recently I decided to make the inner neck piece and install electronics.  It was much simpler than I thought it would be to be honest.  I used a 7/8 and 1" tube to make the inner neck piece to connect the upper part to the body of the saber, cut away some of the bottom bar to accept the electronics and wired it all up.

I am very pleased with the way it turned out though it is quite heavy (they used cast AL for the body).  I will say that PCing in the deep grooves was a challenge but I eventually got it to work.

It has a CF 5
LEDengin 10W RGGB
GG in parallel for main LED
RB in series for FoC
flush mount tactile switches
Powder coated in hotrod flat texture black
lightly polished shroud and emitter (didn't go crazy on the polish since this one is meant to be played with)
2x16340 LiMN batteries (not sure why I didn't go with 18350s but I may change that later since they will fit)

Again this thing is heavy and would not work very well for a belt hanger I don't think but I built it to use as my personal saber (I never get to keep CF sabers so hopefully I can keep this one lol).

Here is a video

On with the pics...sorry they are not great quality.  My lighting was bad and I used software auto correct and they didn't turn out great but they should show what needs to be shown.

Click for larger images

on with the pics.  THey are not very good because my lighting was bad and I used software auto fix but it shows what needs to be shown.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 09:58:20 PM by MH »

Offline Sandpeople are people too

• Once made Darth Vader Chuckle
  • Master Force User
Re: MR Qui-Gon LE converted with CF 5
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 01:15:42 PM »
Deep grooves indeed.  That is some phenomenal crafting there.  It looks like it's ready to hew Maul in 2 right now.  The only ticky thing would be to powder coat the recharge port so it blends in more with the pommel (if that could be done).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 01:20:44 PM by Sandpeople are people too »

Offline sithslayer1

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 01:36:05 PM »
Beautiful work, MH! I don't think I have heard of a MR being bored out like that, just the Larbels.  I have a Goodman converted Larbel, could'nt agree more on loving the deep grooves which add to a more screen accurate and beautiful Qui hilt, imo.  Well done!

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 01:45:39 PM »
Everytime i see a deep grooved qui i always think to myself 'where did they fit everything?'.  Great saber MH and i'm glad you are keeping it for yourself, I really love it when the clash flash is another color besides white.  Yours looks like a bluish violet.  It goes great with the green.

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline CHEWBACCA

• JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 01:53:58 PM »
OK I will share the electronics pics.  I just had to trim the bar a little for the electronics to fit but had to bore out the top and bottom of the body for the speaker and neck piece.

The batteries are in the neck piece.

Offline Oisse

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 01:59:05 PM »
Wow, amazing job man :)
Custom sabers that I own:

89sabers Qui-Gon nbv4 GGW
KR/OR Luke V2 CFX/Pixel

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 02:05:29 PM »
dang man the internals look just as nice as the external saber, love the pic of the wiring :)

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline Sol Nexus

• Experienced Force User
  • Well hello there.
    • Sol Nexus Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 02:12:49 PM »
That thing is totally awesome!
Light⋅sa⋅ber [Lahyt-sey-ber]
-noun
1.  When you absolutely, positively need to open a can of wampa juice.

Offline s Rank

• Force User
  • Fighting evil by moonlight...
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 02:15:26 PM »
Looks fantastic! What's the difference with wiring the two green dies from the RGGB in parallel as opposed to having them in series? Some if your older builds have them in series with older CF versions pre V5.

This actually could have been Obi Wan's TPM lightsaber hilt but Ewan didn't pick it from the lineup. You can see it's an available choice for him when he goes to pick his lightsaber.

Offline RedArc

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 02:46:47 PM »
MH you surpise every time you show up something new  ;)

I thought also a few times , if its possible to do that on that LE versions , and you shown it perfect again that it is ^^

Congrats ! and of course you installed an CF 5 ..... what else   :D

Offline Jin Ke

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 02:56:36 PM »
Wow dude......    :o :o :o :o :o   All I have to say.....

Offline Mersenne

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 03:23:39 PM »
Beautiful work, as we've come to expect MH
I really like the time you've put in to have it so neat.
I'd really like to do a MR Mace, but it's not going to have a 1". Not to worry.
it's all Elemental

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 03:28:31 PM »
I've done a few deep grooved Qui's, so I know from experience how difficult getting everything in there is.  MH, this is beautiful!  Batteries in the neck ftw!
Support our Font Makers!

Offline jetsaber

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 04:24:53 PM »
Great Work  ;D I am Stoked this Conversion is here  8) This Goes to Show All Things are Possible  ;D

Offline Lord Xeno

• Master Force User
  • Sith...they mostly come out at night. Mostly.
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 04:27:20 PM »
Looks fantastic! What's the difference with wiring the two green dies from the RGGB in parallel as opposed to having them in series? Some if your older builds have them in series with older CF versions pre V5.

Wondering if it's b/c the CF5 puts out 2A and in parallel those current-thirsty LEDengin dice can take it?? :-)  MH is it set for 2A?  This is an incredible saber, moreso b/c it's an officially license saber...at least it used to be ;D  Amazing work.  The inside electronics install looks incredibly clean.

retrousse