fiduciary

Author Topic: Looking for help with bring-up of Arduino on a new platform  (Read 6199 times)

Offline K-2SO

• Killer Droid Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Congratulations! You are being rescued.
Re: Looking for help with bring-up of Arduino on a new platform
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 12:16:29 PM »
Ill have time to respond more thoroughly later this evening. Much tension I sense in this forum though! It makes me sad to think of the history that must have warranted such skepticism :( 

Yeah, well some of us (especially the staff members) have been around a VERY long time, are well familiar with the past history of the hobby (and former/current players), so yeah, a healthy dose of skepticism is warranted.  :police:

I find your arguments vague and unconvincing.

Quiet! *Slap* And there’s a fresh one if you mouth off again.

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2019, 04:42:45 PM »
If all you intend to do is use the boards within your own organization for performances and things like that, you could produce exact clones of any of the open boards, use the free open-source software, and nobody would care. It's only a problem if you try to sell them to others. You may have less work to do than you think.

Offline Theultimatesaber

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2019, 11:27:06 AM »
Apologies I thought it was implied that any board we end up designing based on open source material would ofcourse be published and made public as well.

Well I feel we’ve pretty much covered the minimum basics involved in this project. Anyone who is interested please feel free to reach out. I’ll direct my design team to the open source libraries that were previously mentioned and see how far we can get with that. It would still be great to have someone on the side to consult with while we are working on this however.

Surprised we haven’t found anyone yet! This is a genuinely awesome project.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2019, 03:13:24 PM »
Those that have been engaged here have been waiting for this answer since your first post.  It should have been pretty obvious that it wasn't clear.

The fact that you have been slow or unwilling to answer many of the questions posed here is not very encouraging for an aspiring developer.

I think you are vastly underestimating the amount of work required to go into this project.  The hardware is the easy part, especially if you are just using the reference design of an existing project.  Building a board from scratch is relatively easy compared to writing the code.

Even the commercial, proprietary prop board builders aren't doing this full time.  So the hundreds of hours needs to be spread across someone's free time.  Taking on a project like this precludes doing one's own projects or other commissions for a significant period of time.  Most of the people on this forum who are capable of this sort of work are already deeply engaged in maintaining own projects with other new development in the works.  The code for the existing projects has been developed and refined over the course of years.

A fully developed project like this could be worth tens of thousands of dollars in revenue.  Someone capable of taking on a project like this would need to be convinced that it is worth developing it for you and not themselves.  If you are looking to hire someone to develop this code base I don't think it would be unreasonable for that person to ask for several thousand dollars, including a portion up front, milestone payments, and a royalty on sales.  Even with the potential to make that kind of money, the time required is really not something many are interested in.

If you really are just looking for an opensource solution that will work to suit your specific need, you are probably better off contributing an existing project and adding in the additional functionality you need.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 03:17:23 PM by jbkuma »

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2019, 07:20:11 PM »
I'll add that the saber sound landscape is getting increasingly crowded these days. The major incumbents have huge networks of affiliates which has the side effect of creating places online where only certain branded products can be sold (and in some cases even be discussed). They'll be mostly fine no matter what thanks to gaining, IMO, a well deserved loyal following having been around for years and gaining that brand recognition.

The open source boards are relatively new, powerful, flexible, and sold for little or no profit by a few enthusiastic engineers and programmers who are just doing it mostly to have a bit of fun. (It's kind of like a garage mechanic who builds/restores a muscle car in his spare time.) I am proud to count myself among those few with the skill-set and the will to engage in the open-source stuff, however we all have day jobs and families and our own projects going on, as JBKuma said. That's why you may find difficulty finding any takers. It's not that your project sounds at all unworthy. Personally, I think it sounds cool. It's just that those with the skills you seek are already applied (and in some cases over-applied) on other projects.

I do wish you the very best, though. I don't want to be negative or discouraging. I really like it when new players enter the game especially when they start talking about new open platforms. That's where I like to play, but unfortunately I only have so much recess time, so to speak, and I'm not alone in that.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 07:28:18 PM by JakeSoft »

retrousse