fiduciary

Author Topic: This Forum is quiet.  (Read 8380 times)

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
Re: This Forum is quiet.
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2017, 07:16:45 PM »
There are many new sabersmiths who only have a presence on FB. Perhaps some of the reliable, quality builders can be recruited. If the image hosting could be solved, that would be huge. I use Flicker, which is easy and have had no issues. However, Flicker could pull the plug at any moment too. A recent threads link would be nice.

Hey there Grigoris (aka ZenoTelos)

Nice Comic Book Illustrations by the way  :cool:
(Hey do you do the illustrating? I used to go to School with a Salvador Regla in Illustration many years ago)

At the Bottom of the Forum are the recent topics that are active.

Are you suggesting it be a double tier where we have topics and posts? Not sure if that would work
as it is a function for recent posts but I think Vader can include topics as well so I can run that by Him.

And yeah I can not imagine that image hosting will remain free for much longer across the board.
Give it a year or so but I think after what photobucket did everyone including Facebook
wants to charge for using their service and FB would be wise to make it a small fee
but a fee none the less.

I mean before the internet it COST money for someone to see your picture in a magazine or other
form of print or billboard type media so really FB has everyone by the balls right now :cheesy:
MTFBWY
always
YODA

Offline Darth Brooks

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2017, 07:28:08 PM »
I'm pretty new and not known by too many on this site so I feel I should chime in a bit just too give an opinion of my view of this site and my experience here.

I'm very very active on TRA heck most of the time I'm just logged in and love to hit likes and comment and quote it's very user friendly. I can honestly say I am not on Facebook but I check known builders public pages. But FX and TRA is where I do all my sales and buying for almost everything minus FeeBay once in a while if it's actually a good deal...

I feel it's important to say I'm not biased towards one or the other forum.... other than it seems easier to like a post and get notifications that people liked mine and quoted me and what not. However I always use my phone so not sure what differences there are on the computer site instead of mobile? I'm still not even sure how hit a "like" on a post?

What I like here is it shows how many times a post has been viewd and how many are on line and how many guests are on.

But there really doesn't seem to be much action in one sense but on my previous sales threads it shows how many views it's had and it doesn't take long before 500-800-1,000 people have seen it. So people are looking they're just not posting and signing in I think?

I would post more often and sign in more often but I go to the page and look at the post recent threads and posts and hour after hour it seems same old same old? So unless I wanna bump a thread or check a message I just look quick and move on.

As far as guild members and what not, I've never felt as welcome here. I've got alliance members at TRA going out of their way to make new people feel welcome and a good number of them teaching me a newbie from scratch how to install and giving good advice and not annoyed with my novice questions and I'm having a ton of fun!

I can't speak of guild members here taking commissions and stuff except I recently had a sale for my Neopixel Parks Windu. Which I decided to keep and sent to LDM for a major upgrade and will definitely be keeping that for a permanent resident now!

However I got a hold of him on his website not here... JQ Always responds to my emails as well but again that's thru their website not here.

I get a hold of spacewindu, profezzorn Obi_1, and erv, they always contact me real quick.... but they're not part of the guild.

I wasn't here in the glory days so to speak but would love to have a 2nd place to post more often and learn new things.

So I hope I'm not rambling too much but I thought I'd give a newer less biased view point.

I'd love to see more action!

P.S. not sure what can be done but lots of people I direct here say they're lost and not sure how to use the site... I was confused for quite some time myself.

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2017, 07:50:10 PM »
I haven't been a member for that long, but I'd like to say a few positive words if I may. I like this forum and the people I've have the privilege of interacting with because of it. When I post here I know that a large portion of those who read it will know what I'm talking about. It's a still a place with a high density of technical skill combined with an openness to share ideas. That's rare. I have not found another such place where that exists specific to lightsaber props. Also, I am free to discuss products from multiple competitors with a few restrictions. You can't do that many other places for various reasons. I love that freedom.

I'd also like to say that when I first joined I received a very warm welcome and continue to enjoy using it. The way the forum is moderated and administered fosters intelligent discourse and filters out much of the hate and ignorance that can be so prevalent other places online. I get the impression that it strives to be a gentlemen/ladies forum vs. other social media sites, as a previous poster alluded to. Nothing is perfect, but in general that's how I feel.

Regardless of what changes may come, those are all things that I'd like to see stay.

With that said, it's hard not to notice the drop in participation lately. A few suggestions:

- I know that some sites have a "log in with Facebook" option. How hard would it be to implement that on this site? That way new would-be members would not have to create a separate account with another password to remember, which I know may be a turnoff for some.
- I'll second the image hosting woes as a major drawback, but also recognize that may be a hard nut to crack because of data storage requirements.
- YouTubers, go out of your way to mention FX-sabers.com in your videos. For example, I often put FX-saber.com in the trialing credits of my videos.
- Let's make an effort to avoid beheading new members if they mention one of the taboo topics/vendors, or maybe drop some of the taboos. I know the history and I still feel weird about it sometimes. I'm sure new members who don't know the history find it even more off-putting or confusing.

I hope to continue to participate in FX-sabers.com in whatever future form it may take. MTFBWY

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2017, 08:52:58 PM »
Hello everyone

I truly thank you  all for the input and want to respond more in depth but need to take a break
right now and get something to eat  :wink:

I will log back in and respond to this and any others that follow it more in depth in a bit :cool:

MTFBWY
always
YODA

Offline Sandpeople are people too

• Once made Darth Vader Chuckle
  • Master Force User
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2017, 08:53:25 PM »
I check in here out of habit.  It was my first forum when I had a "brand x" saber die and gemini concepts fixed it for me.  It was fun to see all the ideas and builds then.  Unfortunately, it seems like agendas started to trump members, and most of the new talent was driven away years ago.  I dislike the vulgarity and ephemeral nature of FB; it's too much trash-talk and not enough substance.  I'd love to see more traffic here, but I also think it would be overwhelming to have to manage a help desk all the time.

I think there are plenty of good ideas already stated, and hopefully some folks invest the time and reinvigorate the site.

Offline Watto

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2017, 03:13:14 AM »
All excellent points raised.  I really hope this forum can be revived because I am not a fan of Facebook.  FXS was what got me into sabers and to me it will forever be the main cornerstone of the community In particular Master Yoda with his amazing Graflex builds, the worlds best!  Just one thing though the latest look of the forum is nice but I must admit that I do prefer the previous version appearance.

PS.  Master Yoda I hope you are doing well.   :smiley: 

Offline yodadawa

• No Force
  • From Spain loving ligthsabers
Re: This Forum is quiet
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2017, 06:45:01 AM »
I suggest to open more options to new people that have proved in Fabebook, Instragramm or other ways that are serious people and have enought followers or users.

Offline Yaraell_Ren

• Force User
  • Listen Yaddle, I'm gonna need to borrow your car!
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2017, 07:18:43 AM »
IMO, another way to increase the activity level in FXS is to broaden the range of users.
Take Rebelscum for example...
That site is a giant streamlined conglomeration of forums, news,  archives, and stores.
Even within Rebelscum's forum, there are numerous sections dedicated to movies, props, figures, autographs, comics, etc.

If FXS can take a form of Rebelscum/RPF approach,
I'm sure we can bring more SW fans into this saber community.

Or, if FB is the most popular destination for members and builders, then maybe there can even be a FXS FB group?

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2017, 08:03:55 AM »
Hello everyone

Thank you all for the suggestions on what we can do to improve things around here.

This topic has been moved to a more appropriate section of the forum and a new topic
has been created to address these issues going forward.

Please use the following topic to continue with posting your suggestions and ideas
for improvements you would like to see implemented here.

FX-Sabers Forum / Site (suggestions for improvements)

MTFBWY
always
YODA

Offline Green Ranger

• Formerly known as Darth Payne
  • Master Force User
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2018, 05:04:16 PM »
I noticed the same thing about this forum.

I have been away for the past 5-6 years and upon my recent return I realized just how ghostly this place is now. Very sad.

retrousse