fiduciary

Author Topic: The Giant List of Lightsaber Clubs  (Read 25696 times)

Offline Stiletto

• Padawan Learner
    • SaberWars.com
Re: The Giant List of Lightsaber Clubs
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 09:45:03 PM »
I've met Chuck (both Chucks, technically, LOL) of CFFA/Maryland Jidai at Wizard World Philadelphia Comic Con 2010, and at a multi-club event the Pennsylvania groups do called "First Friday events" that run April-October.
October 2010 - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.157471770940668.30960.131031300251382&type=3
Chuck and a few others came north of the Mason-Dixon line for one event in 2010.

they've even come up to help with training once. Here's Chuck #2:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.205014782853033.48083.131031300251382&type=3
Awesome, awesome bunch of guys.

The club in the Harrisburg, PA area (which has members as far south as York, PA) would love to go visit them for a class sometime but have had trouble aligning the stars to make it happen. :)
Another fine product from your friends at Corellian Engineering Corporation™.

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 09:57:45 PM »
A couple of things, FYI....

LA Jedi: DEAD. There is no longer an Endor crew as most of the older members have become members of So Cal Saber Guild. That and they became less sabers and more a Mando Armor group.

Santa Cruz Jedi Academy: DEAD  I know this firsthand. Original members have left and the group slowly died out.

LED Saber Combat Guild in Hollister: VERY much alive.  :)

Offline Stiletto

• Padawan Learner
    • SaberWars.com
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 10:02:21 PM »
Thanks Caine! I'll get that in the next round of updates. :)

Offline Stiletto

• Padawan Learner
    • SaberWars.com
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 10:15:33 PM »
Caine - is this what you mean by the Mando Armor group?

LA Jedi - Endor Crew
https://www.facebook.com/groups/72438662505/

So it seems, they've had some information updates since early May. Altadena, CA? I don't know - maybe it's not dead, maybe it's merely life support. Regardless, it's not the same great group of people that Flynn befriended in 2006-7 sometime.

Offline Caine

• Master Force User
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 10:27:46 PM »
I have heard from many a former member that it's pretty much dead. There really isn't a solid group and it's a lot of armor parties.

If you don't feel good about taking it down, I can understand...I can do more research on it f you like.

Rest assured it's NOT the same group AT ALL that it was in 2007-2009. I know all the founders and they are all gone.

Offline Stiletto

• Padawan Learner
    • SaberWars.com
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 10:45:46 PM »
Rest assured it's NOT the same group AT ALL that it was in 2007-2009. I know all the founders and they are all gone.

A little more research would be appreciated - PM me sometime? Their only member I ever got to meet was ShogunVader.

People over at SaberWars waited a _long_ time to keep seeing signs of life from Cali - I guess they just didn't want to call it and shrink in number of member clubs.

That said, if many original members of LA Jedi moved to Saber Guild... then Saber Guild should touch base over at SaberWars. ;)

---

The only thing I find a bit odd about Saber Guild is their performances are... very very canon, and very kid-friendly. Very Disney-ish vibe to it. I swear I've seen the same performance with the same opening across multiples of their videos, too. Not saying that's bad, it's just not the new-fight-nearly-every-convention/appearance that I'm used to seeing. (But how often are those practiced? ... meh.) ;)

Offline SL-2272

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 10:54:51 PM »
Yup Chuck is awesome! I know him personaly I've even trained under him for awhile. I remember WW philly that year I was the Predator walking around with a colonial marine and Darth Nihilus :D

Offline Caine

• Master Force User
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 11:10:58 PM »
I'd be curious at the credentials of these group's founders...just for reference of course.  ;)

And I'll message you soon.

Offline Stiletto

• Padawan Learner
    • SaberWars.com
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2012, 11:20:17 PM »
I'd be curious at the credentials of these group's founders...just for reference of course.  ;)\

What, all of them? Can I ask why? I have my guesses as to why you'd be concerned with this, but I fear we're getting WAY off topic with this conversation, so let's take that discussion elsewhere.

---

But let's keep hearing the feedback: the corrections of information, the notifications about new groups being founded, the sad news of other groups closing up, and general reactions from other readers! :D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 11:30:54 PM by Stiletto »

Offline Caine

• Master Force User
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2012, 12:47:53 AM »
I'd be curious at the credentials of these group's founders...just for reference of course.  ;)\

What, all of them? Can I ask why? I have my guesses as to why you'd be concerned with this, but I fear we're getting WAY off topic with this conversation, so let's take that discussion elsewhere.

---

But let's keep hearing the feedback: the corrections of information, the notifications about new groups being founded, the sad news of other groups closing up, and general reactions from other readers! :D

Sorry to get off topic, no more thread muddling from me.  :D

I am going to check on another saber group that has formed near my area. I don't want to say anything about their name as they wanted to keep mum on their formation but I am going to talk to the members and see if they want to "go public" with their club. I have met a couple of times with them and they are good peeps with a good mission statement. I'll let you know what's up!

Offline Stiletto

• Padawan Learner
    • SaberWars.com
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2012, 05:29:37 AM »
Guys, I'm working on my next round of updates. Are there any additions of new clubs (or subtractions) that need to be made, or any information to be modified? Caine, were you going to get me that info on that other club?

Offline Caine

• Master Force User
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2012, 09:08:11 AM »
Guys, I'm working on my next round of updates. Are there any additions of new clubs (or subtractions) that need to be made, or any information to be modified? Caine, were you going to get me that info on that other club?

Thanks for the reminder! Let me message the founder now...

Offline Stiletto

• Padawan Learner
    • SaberWars.com
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 03:24:42 PM »
Thanks for the reminder! Let me message the founder now...

Any news on this Caine? I'm going to be updating my list fairly soon...

Offline knievel74

• No Force
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2014, 11:48:39 PM »
Just an FYI in case anyone's interested...

Long Island Jedi is dead. They've been inactive for well over a year (I'm a former member). The co-founder (Maria) went on to help create a non SW but still sci-fi based stage combat group in NY called Gotham Warriors in '11.
COMMAND AND COMPASSION ARE A FOOL'S MIXTURE

Offline Stiletto

• Padawan Learner
    • SaberWars.com
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2014, 06:49:10 PM »
Yes sir! I'm well aware. Greetings from me, the list creator, over in neighboring Pennsylvania. *waves*

There's an update to this list that's been in the works for quite a while, was shooting for New Year's release but it didn't happen. Includes that change as well as a thousand others. :)

retrousse