fiduciary

Author Topic: Tri-Rebels are NOT the devil in LED Sabers!  (Read 12668 times)

Offline Johannes Huber

• Experienced Force User
Re: Tri-Rebels are NOT the devil in LED Sabers!
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2012, 03:30:57 PM »
Hi!

A couple of questions on your post, MH, just to clarify for myself since I'm still working through the practical behaviors of mulitple parallel vs. series LED performance. It seems as though what you are saying in comparing the brightness of the parallel RGGB LED Engine vs the Tri Rebel green, is that there is a marked difference between the brightness of the 2 LED Engine GG dice in parallel vs. the 2 GG dice of the TriRebel  running at a lower current. Is this a typical trait of parallel vs. series (i.e. series is brighter proportionally than parallel with regards to current) or is there something else at work in this situation (brighter LED performance based on manufacturer, different lenses, etc)?
    My question arises out of an observation that the total foward voltage on the 3 green and 3 blue TriRebels is stated at approx. 10.5 on the Luxeon site, if I recall correctly, so breaking it down into 3 seperate dice is approx 3.5 forward voltage per dice which would seem to indicate that one could, from a voltage point of view, drive the 3 dice in parallel off of a single 3.7 volt Li-ion battery (probably an 18650) so long as sufficient current is able to be discharged by the battery, which would be very attractive from a space conservation perspective in smaller sabers. Am I correct in this (let's assume use of individual resistors for each of a "solid" green or blue color LED set of dice rather than a single driver dividing its total current by 3 among the dice) or is there a hit to the brightness due to the use of the lower voltage parallel setup versus a higher voltage series setup that would invalidate this idea?
     My apologies for pulling this back to a basic question of function but hopefully everyone will be patient with me on this, and also my thanks to everyone taking part in this discussion for the information they are sharing.

Johannes

Offline CHEWBACCA

• JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2012, 06:20:34 PM »
I will reply more when I am not on my phone but the difference is because the rebel is brighter period.  At the same or lower current the rebel green out performs the ledengin green.

Offline PhoenixJedi

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Phoenix Sabers
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2012, 06:36:06 PM »
I also think the Rebel's shade of green is more of an emerald green while the ledengin is more a deeper forest green.

I'm the only saber smith ever mentioned in the NY Times: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=35163
My Sabers: Avenger & Defender (TCSS Pair), Ravager (SF Vanquish)
Check out my profile for my website, sound font samples and pictures of sabers i've built!
Note: All sales from me, once shipped, are final.

Offline GreyJedi

• Master Force User
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2012, 06:38:22 PM »
I personally love my triReb in Asclepius that MH installed. The are not the devil lol

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2012, 10:32:56 PM »
I will reply more when I am not on my phone but the difference is because the rebel is brighter period.  At the same or lower current the rebel green out performs the ledengin green.

Yeah which is why I'm also looking forward to the quad-rebels whenever they arrive... ;)
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
    • Scott and Tem Photography
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2012, 01:40:11 AM »
Booyah!

Wired and and completed the electronics on my first Tri Rebel saber. Royal Blue, Blue, White, and its pretty neato with the FoC.

This thing gets mighty hot though! Anyone else notice that?

I took some photos which I'll post later, but comparing this to a P4 blue, the tri rebel is a little brighter, but not the leaps and bounds I thought it would be. Is the P4 that awesome? I'm running the Tri Rebel in series at 1amp.

I also noticed through the photos that the 18 degree lens doesn't give near as evenly lit blade as the 8.7 degree on the P4.

What lenses are you guys using if not the 18 degree?

Hasbro Darth Vader Removable Blade
OR Qui Gon CFLS w/Makoto Green
MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka
Real Parts Obi Wan ANH (90%)

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2012, 06:25:31 AM »
The P4 blue is pretty awesome, yes.  That particular color Seoul did very very well :D. 

Keep in mind, too, RB always looks dimmer to the human eye than straight blue, because some of it's wavelengths fall off the viewable spectrum, and you are running one RB and one B.

Which battery solution are you using?  Have you tried going with a parallel set up?  Your vF in series may be too high for the set up which will reduce brightness also.

Regarding evenness, a single LED is always going to produce a more evenly lit blade than a multi-die LED.  We are all using the 18 degree AFAIK, but if they would come out with a narrower focused lens, I'd love to try it. 

Facebook: VVFB

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
    • Scott and Tem Photography
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2012, 10:00:47 PM »
Thanks for the info!

I'm using 14500s 7.4v total in the graflex builds.

I haven't tried parallel yet, I'll do that next build and see.

Ok though... please excuse my nerdiness, but here's a video I did a couple days ago. I jut have to post it, as while you can't see him in this my son is too cute in response to the tri rebel:

d=1

Hasbro Darth Vader Removable Blade
OR Qui Gon CFLS w/Makoto Green
MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka
Real Parts Obi Wan ANH (90%)

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2012, 06:02:29 AM »
LOL.  I think he picked his saber :D.

Facebook: VVFB

retrousse