fiduciary

Author Topic: KRORssguard weathering  (Read 315 times)

Offline Guylo Ren

• Padawan Learner
  • Hi to all,dark side & light alike!
KRORssguard weathering
« on: February 01, 2021, 01:12:31 AM »
Hey folks,been a while since I posted anything remotely useful so time to make amends (Mods- please do move if I've put this in the wrong place).

So,I will finally be getting my awesome KRORssguard installed in a few months hopefully,but the installer doesn't do the weathering so I had to either pay for the service elsewhere or do my own.Here is the beast as I first opened it:

...& I decided to take the plunge!

So after carefully experimenting on the pommel of my old first saber (a US Consular,their take on a Qui-Gon),I found that using the stainless steel brush wheel attachment on my rotary tool took off enough anodising to get me pretty much exactly the heavier TFA weathering look I wanted:

I carried on to do the rest of the hilt:

The side emitters were kindly heat treated for me by one of the toolmakers at work thus:

As you can tell he suggested we do it by heating under a steel strip from below & watching the colours spread up by conduction,but it was happening so slowly we went to direct heat which was much more effective.It didn't end up as even as I wanted,so polished it mostly off (as can be seen in the previous pics) & will redo at a later date.

Then I took the rotary tool to the little tabs that affix around the grip & lower sections of the hilt.I got carried away after the success of the main hilt body & went in way too heavy,taking off far too much of the original black anodising,d'oh.So decided to aluminium-black them back up for another attempt:

Started looking much better with the judicious use of mid to fine sandpapers:

So far so good.So I did the whole batch,aiming for a difference between upper & lower tabs based on how much contact I imagined they would receive in long use on an aged hilt,then matt clearcoated them to seal in the Birchwood Casey business:

Moving on to the plastic upper & lower engines,I basecoated them in Rustoleum Metallic Chrome (in practice,it comes out looking more like a brushed ali finish than chrome,which in this instance doesn't matter,but just FYI):

Then I weathered them up with black acrylic washes,blotting & reapplying to taste as necessary:

Have also added "dirt" weathering to the recess & edges of the red pommel cap,& generally on the brass belt clip,in Humbrol matt black enamel.

That's where I'm up to at present,so thought it might be a useful reference for anyone else weathering their own crossguard or purely as process documentation.

All pointers or comments welcome!

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
Re: KRORssguard weathering
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 05:57:50 PM »
Looks great...and you will be happier with the end result having put some elbow grease into it...and have some extra money in your pocket, or to get the installer to add some bells and whistles (crystal chamber hopefully!)

Offline Guylo Ren

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 11:01:31 PM »
Cheers Scott,you're correct- I do indeed feel a lot more invested in the saber as I've never actually attempted any modification to a bought hilt before,my heart was in my mouth!But as you see the changes taking effect from your work,you just do get a bit more attached,don't you?  :azn:

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 06:01:29 PM »
 Is just watch a bunch of videos, pour through this forum, and install it yourself!  Kylo would definitely be an extreme first install, but certainly possible!

I have done a few Kylos, and actually have the KR version you have coming from a friend...excited to put it together and might even borrow a few of your tricks to weather it up.

Again, nice work!

Offline Guylo Ren

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 06:37:41 AM »
Thanks,man.Have now attached the tabs to the hilt body with Araldite (not sure if you have that in the States but JB Weld or any other decent two-part epoxy will do perfectly),& pretty pleased with how they look in place:

Offline Guylo Ren

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 12:25:40 PM »
Engines now installed:

Not entirely sure they don't need a bit more weathering,but pretty pleased with the look.

retrousse