fiduciary

Author Topic: Best Graflex conversion kit (external parts) ???  (Read 6286 times)

Offline Jedi-Diah

• Force User
Best Graflex conversion kit (external parts) ???
« on: October 14, 2008, 12:15:02 PM »
I think I'm going to go ahead and just get an ESB conversion kit (for the grips, etc.). I'm either going with the Blast-Tech kit or the TFX Studios kit (or is EDC Studios better?). I think Luke mentioned he ended up like the D-ring from TFX better but the D-ring isn't that important to me. I wonder which grips are better. I think they both use the 3M VHB tape for the grips.

Does anyone have knowledge/experience with these different suppliers of Graflex conversion kits to recommend one over the other?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
Re: Best Graflex conversion kit (external parts) ???
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 12:21:43 PM »
Blast tech is fine jedi-diah.  I did go with TFX for the D ring as the blast tech one is painted over brass and a little chipped off.  I'm a prefectionist.  They are identical other than that.  I actually have the old one if you are interested.

They do use 3m glue back on the grips but you can get them plain if you like.  I got a 3' length of grip material from blast tech to do an E-11 and he said no problem in getting it with out the sticky back.  I think the sitcky back worked fine though. 

But overall yes go with the blast tech kit. 

***EDIT***

I know nothing of EDC IMO go with blast tech since they have a proven track record. 

And remember if you go ESB you will want to hit partsofsw.com for the grip spacing template to drill your holes and line up the grips when applying.  Also don't use the nuts and bolts that come with the grips.  The nuts throw away and the bolts you need to grind down to make them flush for later adding a chassis and electronics.  You will need to drill and tap the holes to hold the screws in.  Do this all carefully so the bits don't walk on you and you have crooked grips.  This is probably the hardest part of the process.  If you are careful and take your time and do it properly it should turn out fine.  You can have anything protrude into the hilt.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 12:33:15 PM by LUKE SKYWALKER »

Offline Jedi-Diah

• Force User
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 12:36:10 PM »
Thanks Luke. I was considering going with the blank grips and getting a stronger tape than the 3M VHB but if there are no issues (like the grips peeling off or coming loose) I'll probably just go with the pre-made ones from Blast-Tech. Good tape is pretty expensive!

What about EDC Studios? Are they still selling kits? I tried to email them but no reply. Haven't heard much about them.

One thing I was considering in order to get more sound out was not putting in the bolts on the grips but using a hollow center rivet head (or drilling out a hex head) and just gluing it in place. They would be there only for looks but they would let air (i.e. sound) out through the bolt holes. This way I wouldn't have to drill any holes on the bottom and keep the looks pretty much original.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 12:41:55 PM by Jedi-Diah »

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 12:48:45 PM »
o add to Luke's advice on the drilling... Use an auto center punch. You can get them at Lowes for $8...

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 01:03:12 PM »
Thanks Luke. I was considering going with the blank grips and getting a stronger tape than the 3M VHB but if there are no issues (like the grips peeling off or coming loose) I'll probably just go with the pre-made ones from Blast-Tech. Good tape is pretty expensive!

What about EDC Studios? Are they still selling kits? I tried to email them but no reply. Haven't heard much about them.

One thing I was considering in order to get more sound out was not putting in the bolts on the grips but using a hollow center rivet head (or drilling out a hex head) and just gluing it in place. They would be there only for looks but they would let air (i.e. sound) out through the bolt holes. This way I wouldn't have to drill any holes on the bottom and keep the looks pretty much original.

I haven't had a grip come loose yet.  However they do walk a little bit at the ends.  They are not as strong as say an Ani MR FX but those are put on differently.  I am sure stronger tape if you can find it can't hurt.  And like I said just email John at blas tech and ask him to send them without adhesive if you want to go that route.  Not a bad idea for the screws.  IMO I would cut them down and glue them into the holes of the grips.  You really won't need the extra holes for sound.  If going the ANH route and wanting 100% movie accuracy then yes but going ESB you can hide the sound holes under the d ring bracket.  Mine is loud enough to wake up my wife and son.  ;D  I would call that loud enough.  The other issue with the rivet holes for sound is they might be behind the speaker especially if you use Yoda's chassis.  If using his chassis the resonance chamber is really nono existent since there is no extra space.  What little is there would be covering your grip holes anyway so I am not sure if that setup would even wor at all.  Something to consider.

Offline Jedi-Diah

• Force User
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 01:08:17 PM »
Thanks DT. I'll pick one up. Hate to have crooked grips or scratches from a wandering bit.

o add to Luke's advice on the drilling... Use an auto center punch. You can get them at Lowes for $8...

Offline Keiran Halcyon

• Force User
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 01:20:53 PM »
i would go with Blast-Tech there kits look really good

Offline Jedi-Diah

• Force User
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 02:05:56 PM »
Hmmm...

I'm still in the considering stage. Maybe I will invest in some double sided banner tape and get the blank grips from B-T. I don't want them to move at all.

Still not even sure if I'm going to get Yoda's chassis or build my own. Right now I'm kinda leaning toward saving money (for a CF) and building my own.

I haven't had a grip come loose yet.  However they do walk a little bit at the ends.  They are not as strong as say an Ani MR FX but those are put on differently.  I am sure stronger tape if you can find it can't hurt.  And like I said just email John at blas tech and ask him to send them without adhesive if you want to go that route.  Not a bad idea for the screws.  IMO I would cut them down and glue them into the holes of the grips.  You really won't need the extra holes for sound.  If going the ANH route and wanting 100% movie accuracy then yes but going ESB you can hide the sound holes under the d ring bracket.  Mine is loud enough to wake up my wife and son.  ;D  I would call that loud enough.  The other issue with the rivet holes for sound is they might be behind the speaker especially if you use Yoda's chassis.  If using his chassis the resonance chamber is really nono existent since there is no extra space.  What little is there would be covering your grip holes anyway so I am not sure if that setup would even wor at all.  Something to consider.

Offline Keiran Halcyon

• Force User
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 02:35:07 PM »
the grips for the movies are from wind shield whipper blade so u could "barrow" some from your neighbors car

Offline Jedi-Diah

• Force User
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 02:52:32 PM »
I wouldn't want to borrow anything from my neighbor unless I had their permission but even if I did, I don't have any neighbors who have any old military vehicles from the 1940's.

I suppose you could use new style wiper blades (they might even be more comfortable) but they won't be very movie accurate if you're going for that. New wiper blades might be an idea for a new saber though.

Offline MoonDragn

• Force User
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 07:26:05 AM »
I brought the grip and D-ring from TFX, still in the mail I'll let you know how they are when I get it. I didn't go with a kit cause I got plenty of circuit boards and can easily cut my own. I liked his Luke ESB grips with the double sided tape and the pre-done screw holes with included screws. Saves me alot of hassle. I'm now thinking about getting the king of parts graflex handle though cause I dunno if I wanna drill holes in my vintage graflex cell holder.

Offline Jedi-Diah

• Force User
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 09:28:42 AM »
I'm now thinking about getting the king of parts graflex handle though cause I dunno if I wanna drill holes in my vintage graflex cell holder.

I hear ya!

retrousse