fiduciary

Author Topic: Real Saber Concepts...  (Read 42032 times)

Offline Sidneyious

• Alias......Ninja of the Mist
  • Master Force User
    • Blog of my saber builds.
Re: Real Saber Concepts...
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2007, 03:04:36 PM »
Well when I was on the carnival years ago I had a solution for when we dident have eletricity.

a Marine battery a 6plex multy plug and a battery recharger.

Maybe theres some way we could shrink this down alot.

That way the charger will recharge the batteries while your have it on and maybe a secondary switch to turn the recharger on at night.

But maybe the batteries will have to be protected some how and the recharger must be a smart type to keep from an over charge and explosion.

Theres these batteries that run on butain fuel but I dont know how thoes are gonna work out for us,

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2920

Offline bodi

• No Force
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2007, 12:18:04 PM »
Here are some extracts from a lecture of Teslas concerning the principle of solidifing an electrical arc through the use of extremely high frequencies. This is the lecture that first prompted my idea for the real lightsaber design.

But by far the better way—the ideal way—would be to reach sufficiently high frequencies.  The higher the frequency the slower would be the exchange of the air, and I think that a frequency may be reached at which there would be no exchange whatever of the air molecules around the terminal.  We would then produce a flame in which there would be no carrying away of material, and a queer flame it would be, for it would be rigid!  With such high frequencies the inertia of the particles, would come into play.  As the brush, or flame, would gain rigidity in virtue of the inertia of the particles, the exchange of the latter would be prevented.

The demonstration of the fact—which still needs better experimental confirmation—that a vibrating gaseous column possesses rigidity, might greatly modify the views of thinkers.  When with low frequencies and insignificant potentials indications of that property may be noted, how must a gaseous medium behave under the influence of enormous electrostatic stresses which may be active in the interstellar space, and which may alternate with inconceivable rapidity! The existence of such an electrostatic, rhythmically throbbing force—of a vibrating electrostatic field—would show a possible way how solids might have formed from the ultra-gaseous uterus, and how transverse and all kinds of vibrations may be transmitted through a gaseous medium filling all space.  Then, ether might be a true fluid, devoid of rigidity, and at rest, it being merely necessary as a connecting link to enable interaction.  What determines the rigidity of a body? It must be the speed and the amount of moving matter.  In a gas the speed may be considerable, but the density is exceedingly small; in a liquid the speed would be likely to be small, though the density may be considerable; and in both cases the inertia resistance offered to displacement is practically nil.  But place a gaseous (or liquid) column in an intense, rapidly alternating electrostatic field, set the particles vibrating with enormous speeds, then the inertia resistance asserts itself.  A body might move with more or less freedom through the vibrating mass, but as a whole it would be rigid.

If you would like to see the entire lecture, it may be found here - http://www.tfcbooks.com/tesla/1892-02-03.htm

peace,

bodi

Offline TheNewWinduMaster

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2007, 09:23:52 PM »
Although I haven't read the entire thing, you did bring up some decent points. I'm pretty sure what you are talking about would cost over 20,000 dollars to create, but it seems kind of logical. But magnetic fields don't always work the same ways as Lights. Your talking about having a container to hold this "light" and project it to a certain area. While physics is my major knowledge, I know this is impossible for this generation. I'm sorry but unless you have access to materials we dont, it just isn't possible.

Things written in science don't need funding. And they dont need 100s of people which is what you need. Plus, the blade needs to be even on the sides, and this wouldn't be easy.
"The abilitiy to destroy a planet is insignificant to the power of the force."- Sith Lord Darth Vader, Ep IV

"When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master."- Sith lord Darth Vader, Ep IV.

"In the name of the Imperial Galactic Senate, you are under arrest."- Jedi Master Mace Windu, Ep III

Offline bodi

• No Force
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2007, 09:23:25 AM »
Your talking about having a container to hold this "light" and project it to a certain area.

Hello, Windu.

I'm sorry, this is not at at all what I'm saying. I don't think you have quite grasped the concept.

Also, I never said it was anything other than an interesting idea...

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2007, 10:48:26 AM »
If I understand this concept correctly, the idea is that it is a form of containment field created by light at high density using the superconducter to stretch the field into a specific shape. i.e. Lightsaber blade.

Basically "Charging" the light into a focused beam using a magnetic field caused by refraction at a specific frequency?

:-\

Offline SAESEE TIIN

• Formerly known as Lazbum
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I wish I had quotes as cool as Admiral Ackbar!
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2007, 10:22:39 PM »
I'm not sure if thats it Tyranus as you can't use a magnetic field on light as its not been proven to be either a particle or wave.  It seems as though its saying you would need to charge a material to get the light it produces (or rather energy) up to the highest frequency possible.  In this case it is talking about a gaseous material, almost like a cathode ray of high spectra elements.  It seems almost the only way to make a lightsaber is to put large amounts of energy into a material to produce the rigid flame as mentioned.  The light given off would simply be energy given off by electrons jumping orbit levels.  This leaves you with a magnetic field once again, or electric field.  I could be wrong though as I haven't done anything too much with physics for the past 2 and a half years, I've simply been doing work on electrochemistry and thermodynamics.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 10:30:09 PM by SAESEE TIIN »

Thanks to Darth Nerdold for the sig!
Proud Owner of a Graflex V from Yoda!

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2007, 10:57:35 PM »
I dunno I'm tired and it's not making any sense now. it did earlier when I first read the post a while back. Maybe I need sleep... ;)

Offline bodi

• No Force
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2007, 09:26:08 AM »
Let me see if I can simplify the explaination.

The basic concept is really pretty simple.

The blade is nothing more than an electrical spark (arc). Very much like what you get when you create a spark between two wires, using a transformer, or even a battery. It is an unusual spark, but just a spark.

We know that the higher the voltage, the longer the spark we can make. So we calculate the length of spark we would need, and design a generator to produce the voltage needed.

At this point, its still just a spark, not a lightsaber blade.

To get it to act like a lightsaber blade, we have to first increase the frequency of the current supply. When we reach a high enough frequency, the arc takes on the properties we are looking for. At the high frequencies we need, the arc is no longer just a gaseous plasma. It becomes 'solid' and 'hard', from the point of view of its physical properties.  It's the high frequencies that give the spark the 'solidity' and 'hardness'. We are really just turning the current on and off super, super fast, in a certain way.

There is no containment field. The arc maintains itself, it holds itself together, there is no need to contain it.

Each individual ion (charged particle) in the blade is held to the others in a manner similar to the way magnets hold onto each other. The blade does not need a containment field, and does not have one.

We do need to shape it, though, otherwise we would just have our 'solid' arc zipping between two electrodes.

The magnetic mirror does nothing more than push the arc out into a blade shape.

This is possible because we spin the arc, in exactly the same way a rotor spins in an electric motor, with a rotating electromagnetic field. The magnetic field is only needed to spin the arc, not to contain it. In fact, the arc is generating its own magnetic field, which pushes it away from the magnetic mirror (through reflection - like polarities repell each other), out into the blade shape.

It's just a very special kind of shaped and spinning electrical spark. Extremely high voltage and frequency. It's not made of light, although it emits light. It's made of a sort of condensed super plasma, which contains itself.

Does that help?

Offline Darth Raijlin

• Great Sith Leader and Hero
  • Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
    • White Dragon Academy
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2007, 11:49:27 AM »
Nice...in theory.

Offline JediKnightGuy82

• Experienced Force User
  • Alfs of the Old Republic?
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2007, 02:42:25 PM »
If this is an electrical current, could it, like lighting, jump to another contact point i.e. a person or part of a room and cause damage?

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2007, 03:44:07 PM »
In theory it would self contain, due to the high frequency and velocity used to form the plasma field. So effectually creating it's own gravity (in a sense).

If this is the case, perhaps our "lightsaber" design here, could theoretically be used to contain a fusion reaction... Or perhaps I am thinking a little too "fourth dimensionally"...

I haven't slept for 48 hours now, so neurons are acting a bit "bouncy" right now, and it's hard to focus. :-\

Offline Ketme-Hamje Traya

• Experienced Force User
  • "Our path brought us here for a reason..."
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2007, 05:59:04 AM »
In a very basic BASIC context, it is similar, but not quite the same as how a fluorescent light might work.

But taken a step further as so it has no need for a solid material to contain the gasses that would be super charged at a high frequency. This mass of gaseous particles eventually become rigid at a certain frequency and as an after effect, produce a corresponding light pattern coherent to the gas used in the arc.

In other words the light part of this theoretical lightsaber has no part in the actual resistance or cutting ability of the blade, the true cutting force would be from the massively high frequency of the now rigid gas. This high frequency equates to a hyper fast cutting blade much like that used by chefs to make almost perfect cuts with little effort, also in other words, for those that are on the edge of understanding. The gasses are charged so much that they are not only rigid, but they also produce if not are isolating at extremely high rates of speed.

Did that about dummy it down and sum up the basic concept?
(My love in school was Science from kindergarden to my senior year)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 06:02:43 AM by Ketme-Hamje Traya »
"...there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."
-Darth Traya

Offline Matrix_tjb

• Force User
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2007, 01:41:18 AM »
So has anyone here really put any extensive thought about how to realize the icon of most of our lives the Lightsaber.
I have done some thinking on the subject and have come up with a few theories of my own. I am a firm believer that a lightsabers blade isn't a laser that its plasma perhaps ignited by a highly focused high powered laser as we know that plasma can produce a cascading reaction as long as the ignition source remains constant (the laser helps here...lol). We also know plasma can be influenced by magnetic fields. Thus all we would have to do is figure out how to get a magnetic field to create a blade like structure. My theory here is have a rotating field generator that sends out one pole on one side of the emiter and the other pole on the other side but have this emitter send out powerful bursts of the fields to meet at a set distance thousands of times a second at the rotation of the emitter ensures that no gaps are left in the EM field. we know that a magnetic field wont stop on flesh or most other objects but tith the EM field fliping poles so fast its likely that another blade will be stopped I dont thing they would creat a violent repulsion because they would attract and repel thousands of times a second they would just not be able to pass eachother. The only problem with these theories is the power requirement and the size of the equipment needed to do this but as things get smaller and faster I can see this being possible soon hopefully before my time is up.

Feel free to punch holes in this theory as much as you like its been a work in progress in my head for quite some time and now its time to see if anything else can be worked out here.

Offline Sidneyious

• Alias......Ninja of the Mist
  • Master Force User
    • Blog of my saber builds.
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2007, 01:56:50 AM »
You should have the topic moved to here.

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?board=67.0

Offline Matrix_tjb

• Force User
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2007, 02:03:06 AM »
why should i have that done?

retrousse