fiduciary

Author Topic: Tutorial reboot  (Read 3523 times)

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
  • Many tentacles the dark side has
    • My Youtube channel
Tutorial reboot
« on: February 23, 2017, 08:33:10 PM »
This is the first set of tutorials in the reboot. The Kickstarter didn't make so I am using the same technology as before with a couple minor tweaks, but the format and explanation reflects the things I have learned in the last few years and the experience I have gotten teaching these moves. My approach this time is take a more well rounded path integrating spins, strikes, and footwork at all stages. The first set is the basics and takes new saber users up through the plum flower spin. As will all sets in this series, it begins with theory and ends with practice, concluding with a simple routine that ties together all the elements of the first set into a short capstone routine.

The first video is a primer on saber use in general before the tutorials start off.

YouTube

Lightsaber Use: Set1, Part1- Figure 8 Spins

YouTube

Lightsaber Use: Set1, Part2- Striking

YouTube

Lightsaber Use: Set1, Part3- Walking

YouTube

Lightsaber Use: Set1, Part4- Basic Transitions

YouTube

Lightsaber Use: Set1, Part5- Clockface Spin

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNM-n0uS7cA

Lightsaber Use: Set1, Part6- Obi/Ani (Eclipse Spin)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk7hHBY8AgE

Lightsaber Use: Set1, Part7- Obi/Ani+Strike

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VqcznVjROw

Lightsaber Use: Set1, Part8- Plum Flower

www.youtube.com/watch?v=v56vl_1PkR8

Lightsaber Use: Set1, Consolidation Routine

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vgIKCmd6Vs

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
Re: Tutorial reboot
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 11:21:55 PM »
This is something related so I thought I would put it here too. This video is a rare attempt on my part to do something in cannon. I was asked by a viewer to put together something like this so I thought I would try. I discuss the 7 forms, what the theory behind them is, and how they translate into real lightsaber use. I also provide examples of what they look like as I see them, and appropriate lightsabers for their practice. I borrowed a few seconds of footage from thunder for the stuff I can't do. I want to stress that my idea of them varies a lot from the scaffolding systems of TPLA or Ludosport.  Y intro states as much and encourages people to remember that all examples of the forms are interpretations.
 YouTube

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 07:22:57 PM »
This is the second set of tutorials in the reboot series. The key phrase for this one is complicating things. This set grafts martial elements on top of the basic flow from set one and brings the off hand into play. It also covers a bit more footwork and reverse grip. As will all sets in this series, it begins with theory and ends with practice, concluding with a move set that modifies the one in the first set and ties together all the elements of the second set into a short capstone routine.

The first is a theory video on the 7 forms
YouTube

Lightsaber Use: Set 2. Part 1- Pivot Steps
YouTube

Lightsaber Use: Set 2. Part 2- Blocks & Wards
YouTube

Lightsaber Use: Set 2. Part 3- Thrusts & Lunges
YouTube

Lightsaber Use: Set 2. Part 4- Reverse Grip
YouTube

Lightsaber Use: Set 2. Part 5- Hand Switch
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGW1ZSkAeT0

Lightsaber Use: Set 2. Part 6- Splitting the Clockface
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmObEmaQvfQ

Lightsaber Use: Set 2. Part 7- Splitting the Plum Flower
www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVwT771TOoc

Lightsaber Use: Set 2, Consolidation
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfkVBlIKTvE

Offline Choos

• Padawan Learner
  • Yep new
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 12:20:18 PM »
These are fabulous thank you mate, going to have to have a go but first need to find a saber I don't mind dropping a bit and I guess a stunt would be a better option for my backyard.

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 06:53:33 PM »
And set 3 is ready. I have not finished the routine yet, but these are the tutorials. This set ended up a bit longer than the others. The theme is modification.

Lightsaber Use: Set 3. part 1- Behind the Back Switches
This video deals with the idea of working behind your back. This builds on the other 2 sets and follows the idea of modifying moves and changing where you do them relative to your body.
YouTube

Lightsaber Use: Set 3. part 2- Building the Blade Barrier: First Steps
This video deals with the first steps to building a move called the blade barrier. Specifically it looks at 2 and 3 beat moves behind the back. The first set in this series may be seen here.
YouTube

Lightsaber Use: Set 3. part 3- Building the Blade Barrier: Final Steps
This video deals with the final steps to building a move called the blade barrier. Specifically it looks at a full behind the back clock face spin (4 beats) and the blade barrier itself (5 beats).
YouTube

Lightsaber Use: Set 3. part 4- Horizontal Plane
This video deals with the horizontal plane, getting around the body, and cloud spins.
YouTube

Lightsaber Use: Set 3. part 5- Cross or X Step & Combo
This video deals with a new element of footworc called cross steps, X steps, or coiled steps. It also discusses low strikes and a combo that combines the two.
YouTube

Lightsaber Use: Set 3. part 6- Orbit Guards
This video deals with orbits or orbits guards. This is alternately referred to as the third orbit.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5Ps7iGDnMA

Lightsaber Use: Set 3. part 7- Bent Plum Flower Spin
This video introduces the idea of the forward plane and uses it to isolate the plum flower spin closer to one side of the body. This will eventually allow dual wield plumb flowers. 
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlO5hiUlmDs

Lightsaber Use: Set 3. part 8- Building the Wing Spin: Over the Shoulder
This video begins to work on the wing spin by turning the obi/ani spin from set 1 upside down into an over the shoulder spin.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQMtUsS-Wqs

Lightsaber Use: Set 3. part 9- Building the Wing Spin: Putting it Together
This video finishes work on the wing spin by combining the obi/ani spin with the over the shoulder spin into a 5 beat move on one side of the body.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B0Cc1SamiA

Lightsaber Use: Set 3. part 10- Reverse Eclipse Spin
This video goes back and looks at how to do the eclipse or obi/ani spin fully in reverse. It includes some tips for not throwing out your shoulder.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pQWx1MFj38

Lightsaber Use: Set 3. part 11- Reverse Plum Flower
This video uses the idea of reversing things from the last video and applies it to the full plum flower spin.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYj1ACeOh3o

Lightsaber Use: Set 3. part 12- Reverse Wing Spin
This video uses the idea of reversing things from the last two videos and applies it to the wing spin.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpAGJQrppUA

Offline coldvizjerei

• Force User
  • Why did Isendra die? Tell me the truth!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 07:27:33 PM »
Thank you so much for these!

I'm gonna have to find some time to sit down, watch thru them all, and practice!

retrousse