fiduciary

Author Topic: Graflex 2.0 construction  (Read 17459 times)

Offline Pozesed

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Re: Graflex 2.0 construction
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 03:55:24 PM »
Im looking at buying the Graflex 2.0 from parks. It says on the site that putting it together would take 10 minutes. Is this just using screws or would I need glue etc. Looking to get a static ESB/TFA hilt.

just an update bud i ordered my 2.0 kit January 1st and i got it today on the 11th of January
the process of putting it together takes but 10 mi and is only screwing in the grips and d-rings and some momentary buttons
i wanted to post some pics of the parts and construction because a lot of people seen to have questions about the 2.0 kit so ill be posting some pic once i get off work tonight   
and again once i start my chassis build for the saber
Thanks for getting back about it. Mine shipped on the 2nd so hopefully it'll arrive any day now. Sounds easy enough to put together, I'd love to see the pics when you get a chance. Im also building a crystal chamber for mine with some led's etc so hopefully I'll get some photos of that up soon

Offline Jelcorp

• No Force
  • Hope is not lost today... it is found.
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 09:13:45 PM »
I ordered two for a ANH and ESB build on Christmas Day from Jeff Parks and one arrived today- January 11, 2016.  As described, it took about 10 minutes to assemble.  I assembled the ANH version.  Note, different to a Vintage Graflex, the bottom 3-Cell Part comes off differently.  For the 3-Cell part on the Korbanth/Parks 2.0, you first have to unlock the clamp and then you have to unscrew the 3-Cell part to get it off.  If you want an ESB version which has 6 grips vs 7 grips, you just unscrew the base plate where the D-Ring and Sound holes are, flip the 3-cell 180 degrees so that you now have the 6 hole pattern for the grips showing, rescrew the base plate on and then rescrew the 3 -cell and then use the notched grips.  The top part has four screws that connect to the inside ObiWan blade holder. The front screw between the power sockets, a screw in the faux power switch, a screw holding the beer tab and the screw holding the clamp.  in order to slide the top off, you have to unscrew the 4 brass conductors. 

Here is a picture of the assembled hilt- http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=pictures;u=86913;album=28

My question is how do you assemble red buttons and switch into the button assembly and have it stay?   Also,when I place the red button on the momentary switch, I do not feel the switch activating?  Any ideas or help with the red button and momentary switch assembly is appreciated.

This is my first post contributing and not sure how to place pictures properly.

-Jonathon
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 09:17:10 PM by Jelcorp »

Offline ken

• Force User
  • in my experience there is no such thing as luck
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 09:33:13 PM »
Im looking at buying the Graflex 2.0 from parks. It says on the site that putting it together would take 10 minutes. Is this just using screws or would I need glue etc. Looking to get a static ESB/TFA hilt.

just an update bud i ordered my 2.0 kit January 1st and i got it today on the 11th of January
the process of putting it together takes but 10 mi and is only screwing in the grips and d-rings and some momentary buttons
i wanted to post some pics of the parts and construction because a lot of people seen to have questions about the 2.0 kit so ill be posting some pic once i get off work tonight   
and again once i start my chassis build for the saber
Thanks for getting back about it. Mine shipped on the 2nd so hopefully it'll arrive any day now. Sounds easy enough to put together, I'd love to see the pics when you get a chance. Im also building a crystal chamber for mine with some led's etc so hopefully I'll get some photos of that up soon

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=pictures;u=87153;album=29
so heres the pics of my empty as well hopefully i get my chassis parts very soon

Offline ken

• Force User
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 09:37:43 PM »
I ordered two for a ANH and ESB build on Christmas Day from Jeff Parks and one arrived today- January 11, 2016.  As described, it took about 10 minutes to assemble.  I assembled the ANH version.  Note, different to a Vintage Graflex, the bottom 3-Cell Part comes off differently.  For the 3-Cell part on the Korbanth/Parks 2.0, you first have to unlock the clamp and then you have to unscrew the 3-Cell part to get it off.  If you want an ESB version which has 6 grips vs 7 grips, you just unscrew the base plate where the D-Ring and Sound holes are, flip the 3-cell 180 degrees so that you now have the 6 hole pattern for the grips showing, rescrew the base plate on and then rescrew the 3 -cell and then use the notched grips.  The top part has four screws that connect to the inside ObiWan blade holder. The front screw between the power sockets, a screw in the faux power switch, a screw holding the beer tab and the screw holding the clamp.  in order to slide the top off, you have to unscrew the 4 brass conductors. 

Here is a picture of the assembled hilt- http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=pictures;u=86913;album=28

My question is how do you assemble red buttons and switch into the button assembly and have it stay?   Also,when I place the red button on the momentary switch, I do not feel the switch activating?  Any ideas or help with the red button and momentary switch assembly is appreciated.

-Jonathon

i think toy have to soder the weirs on the back of the two dots on the switch and run them through the hole and as for the red switch im planning on just maybe an adhesive of some sort 

Offline Jelcorp

• No Force
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 11:40:09 PM »
Ken,

How did you get the momentary switch to fit into the button housing?  Did you have to grind away some of the board?  Are  you able to press the button down and it comes back up?

Joanthon

Offline Scottm2815

• Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 01:47:12 AM »

-Jonathon

You ordered yours from Parks's Christmas Day and already have them :shocked:
I have one coming from Korbanth soon and I have another on order with Park's that I placed a week before Christmas , can't wait to get them. Great post by the way, thanks for the pics.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 01:49:24 AM by Scottm2815 »

Offline ken

• Force User
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 07:56:30 AM »
Ken,

How did you get the momentary switch to fit into the button housing?  Did you have to grind away some of the board?  Are  you able to press the button down and it comes back up?

Joanthon

yes,
 because the two switches were attached to the ESB clamp card they had an edge on them keeping them from fitting
all you have to do is take a fine file and file it so its round on all edges and then it fits and yes with the red button on top of the momentary switch in the hosing the button is working as i should
when filing try to file only what you need to it a good tight fit in the housing    :smiley:
hope that helps  a bit

Offline Jelcorp

• No Force
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 06:01:37 PM »

-Jonathon

You ordered yours from Parks's Christmas Day and already have them :shocked:
I have one coming from Korbanth soon and I have another on order with Park's that I placed a week before Christmas , can't wait to get them. Great post by the way, thanks for the pics.

You are welcome! I contacted Jeff today in regards to when my second hilt ships and he said my second one will come in two-three weeks due to restocking.  He has been very helpful.

Offline Jelcorp

• No Force
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 06:14:25 PM »
Ken,

Joanthon

yes,
 because the two switches were attached to the ESB clamp card they had an edge on them keeping them from fitting
all you have to do is take a fine file and file it so its round on all edges and then it fits and yes with the red button on top of the momentary switch in the hosing the button is working as i should
when filing try to file only what you need to it a good tight fit in the housing    :smiley:
hope that helps  a bit

Thanks Ken!

For some reason, the hole inside my red buttons are too deep and does not allow for any up down motion, so I had to place a little rubber spacer to allow up and down clearance. 

I got an email from Jeff at lunch today and recommended exactly as you recommended! 

"Use a fingernail file and chase around the switch circuit board until a good fit is produced.

Very small drops of superglue, at 12, 4, 8 o'clock, on the inside lip of the button body, will secure the switch circuit board.

Another very small drop of superglue, on the top surface of the switch, will secure the red button to the switch."

Question-

So the holes are where the wires go and are soldered?  Are you going to place some sort of insulator to cover the four legs to prevent shorting out the circuit? 

It looks like the legs connect to the wire holes and if they touch the side of the metal button housing, it will short the circuit.

Offline ken

• Force User
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2016, 08:23:00 PM »
Ken,

Joanthon

yes,
hope that helps  a bit

Thanks Ken!

For some reason, the hole inside my red buttons are too deep and does not allow for any up down motion, so I had to place a little rubber spacer to allow up and down clearance. 

I got an email from Jeff at lunch today and recommended exactly as you recommended! 

"Use a fingernail file and chase around the switch circuit board until a good fit is produced.

Very small drops of superglue, at 12, 4, 8 o'clock, on the inside lip of the button body, will secure the switch circuit board.

Another very small drop of superglue, on the top surface of the switch, will secure the red button to the switch."

Question-

So the holes are where the wires go and are soldered?  Are you going to place some sort of insulator to cover the four legs to prevent shorting out the circuit? 

It looks like the legs connect to the wire holes and if they touch the side of the metal button housing, it will short the circuit.

so i looked at the switches again and i looked at similar tactile momentary switches on tcss and it looks like the legs are the grounding pins and those are what you solder to the weirs

heres a link to the switch and a few others at tcss

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/SPST-Momentary-tactile-switch-P285.aspx

Offline ken

• Force User
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 08:24:55 PM »
as for the short circuits i was going to put one 1/16Th heat shrink on the pins after i solder the weirs to them

Offline ken

• Force User
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 09:00:50 PM »
i did some more looking and no the points are ot the 2 dots but the pins int he video below he explains how to solder these kind of momentary tactile switches basically you solder one pin from each side to complete the circuit

How To Use Tactile Switches (B3F-1102) - YouTube

Offline Jelcorp

• No Force
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2016, 09:07:14 PM »
Thanks Ken!

Offline Mcbaine

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2016, 02:51:43 PM »
Anyone know how I can get some spare red buttons for this build? Preferably with the tactile switches?

Offline Iggy

• Formerly known as Polarcupz
  • Master Force User
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2016, 05:23:13 PM »
Anyone know how I can get some spare red buttons for this build? Preferably with the tactile switches?

Post a wanted ad, or purchase another kit and make a ANH / TFA lightsaber. That would give you an extra red button.

"I think, therefore I am. I destroy, therefore I endure."

retrousse