fiduciary

Author Topic: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread.. Warning.... SPOILERS!!!!  (Read 24648 times)

Offline anakin2000

• Experienced Force User
The Force Awakens Discussion Thread.. Warning.... SPOILERS!!!!
« on: December 17, 2015, 08:29:52 PM »
What did all of you guys think??? I give it a 9/10
Rey and Finn were fantastic, and that last lightsaber battle with Kylo and Rey was awesome...
Another good element was the humor!!! It was great
Glad to see C3PO and R2 back...

But of course the negatives
Han Solos death, of course. Horribly done in my opinion. Really disliked it
And then only 2 seconds of Luke at the end??? Come on, JJ.

Oh well. Only 17 months til Episode 8  :cry:

Offline Derro Kuspin

• Force User
  • Um...Hello?
Re: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread.. Warning.... SPOILERS!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 09:45:35 PM »
Watched it yesterday. I have to say that I'm rather disappointed. I would rate it a 8/10 as a scifi/action flick, but only a 5/10 as a "genuine" Star Wars movie. It had awesome special effects and great fights and I loved to "meet" the old crew, especially Han, Chewie, C3P0 and R2D2 (Luke's appearance was really a little short, agreed, but I'm sure this will change in the next two episodes). It was overall very entertaining.
But it had many major letdowns, that rather made me an "unhappy camper", when I left the theater... I won't list them all here, since it's only my opinion and I certainly don't want to spoil the fun for the people who loved it, but I would like to mention just a few things, even if they might be controversial to others reading this...  :wink:
IMHO the original movies always thrived on (a) powerful and cunning villain(s) - especially Darth Vader, of course...  :wink:
In this aspect Kylo Ren is the biggest disappointment for me - he's just a spoiled brat with no self control whatsoever, who was lucky to have been granted a high load of Midichlorians by his mother. Even his lightsaber is flawed (the Padawans could build a proper one as young teenagers). And then - after all his training and years of using a lightsaber - he's been cleanly beaten by someone holding a lightsaber for the very first time, strong in the Force or not. I have high hopes, that Snoke is the villain, I'm hoping for.
And as a German I have to say, that the First Order General's speech to the assembled troops really tickled my vomit reflex. It's like JJ gave some footage with speeches of a certain dark character in Germany's history to the actor and told him: "do it like that". Down to the concrete buildings and banners the only thing missing is a short mustache... Purrleease, JJ - we all know George's analogy to the Third Reich, but does it have to be THAT obvious?!
All things said (well - not all, but enough  :wink:), I will definitely watch the movie again after I have digested my first disappointment. I felt similar after watching Episode I for the first time, but I like it much better now...
I really hope that I didn't offend anyone by posting my two cents about the movie...

Offline Jedi Oz 66

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 10:22:04 PM »
I think there will be only one thing everybody will agree on ,its a xxx of a lot better than the prequels , and there's a 2 more to come, I will be getting the novel to see if the story is fleshed out any more than in the movie.
I took my boys who both loved it. JJ gets a 9 from me.

Offline Nicholas.slaydon

• Experienced Force User
  • “Ours Is The Fury"
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 10:31:36 PM »
I just saw it and I give it a 0/10. Me, my mother and my sister just got back from seeing it and we all agree that it was horrible. Getting out of the theater I only had 3 things to say about it.

1. I set my expectations VERY low and did not expect to get a good movie, my expectations proved accurate to reality.
2. This is the worst butchery of a series I love since M Night Shaymalan's "The Last Airbender".
3. I miss George Lucas BAD.

Offline Remulos

• No Force
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 01:44:09 AM »
I loved it.

All of it.

I personally thought that Han's death was done very well. The trailers hinted that Harrison Ford would be the emotional center piece for this movie and I am surprised at how well he delivered and it worked for his character. That combined with Kylo Ren's instability and internal turmoil (Adam Driver absolutely owned this role) meant that Han's death was at least meaningful. I knew it was coming the second he stepped out on that walkway but still really felt it when it happened. Rather this than a Marvel-esque churning out of We-were-in-danger-and-now-we're-fine repetitions.

Excellent set up for the other movies, Finn and BB-8 provided some very welcome humour and Rey (while not the best actor on the set) really fills the requirement of the good-hearted underdog, even if it is a bit similar to a certain 1977 film. I still want to find out a lot more, especially about what happened during Kylo Ren's betrayal and the knights of Ren. They even managed to pull off the storm trooper with the stun baton vs Finn with Lightsaber thing that we saw in the trailer and panicked about.

10/10

P.S. I saw it in laser projected IMAX, haven't seen it in a regular cinema yet. If you have the opportunity to do so, GO SEE IT IN LASER PROJECTED IMAX!!!

Sabers I own:
Currently all imaginary

Offline Zen

• Padawan Learner
  • "I can't believe it"-" That is why you fail"
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 01:47:40 AM »
a 7/10 for me.

Direction good, not a massive use of special effects, smart dialogues and some touching moment.
The film is quite a Episode IV remake with a good screenplay, an eye to old fans -nostalgic operation- (As I am) and an eye to the new generation -some new character and an open ending-. I'm not surprised: Disney is the biggest entertainment colossus in the world, and they're not stupid.
I sense (lol) a clever "dark side" (lol again) operation under the film: a kind of "chess game" to re-establish connections and set up a starting point for Ep. VIII and IX.
The film is driven by Han and Chewie (I have to recover from Han's death, it will take to me a lot of time! :P But it was somehow written: Harrison is 75 and gradually the old main character must be replaced); Ray and Finn are a mirrored copy of Luke and Han (Ep. IV) in their relationship. Nice BB8, smart little guy, the R2 of the situation. Someone (I can't remember) in this forum wrote that this film is Han's, next is Luke's and then the future generation: I perfectly agree.
Most of all I liked Kylo Ren.
I know, you'll say "Ehi, it's not a Vader-Like Villain! He's uncertain and somehow weak!". That's why I liked him (And a good Adam Driver from NY Julliard). He's weak, confused, angry, impulsive (he smashes everything when frustrated), out of control, envious, with a kind of "Self confidence complex" against the powerful grandpa. These factors leads him to the Dark Side as a quick response to his needs (Remember Yoda's words :P).
He needs to hurt in his own wounds during the duel for becoming anger and anger and thus powerful, he's astonished by the power of Rey (I'm trained and this noob beats me!?), he's finally defeated but save.
In my opinion, the character can "grow up" better than other in the next films.
Rey disappointed me: nice and smart, but the "usual" hollywood actress. I'd have preferred someone with a bit more of "personality".

Of course, personal opinions written in a bad english, with all my apologies.

How I can say? I'm split. My childish side says "WOHAAAAAA STAR WARS!!!!". My adult side says "Hm, I see, I understand, I think that...".
BAH!!

WOHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!! STAR WARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

And May the Force be with You all.

Now, that's a name I've not heard in a long time..

Offline anakin2000

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 06:16:43 AM »
Does anyone else just not like what went on with Kylo Ren??? I mean once he takes the mask off its just weird... he's no longer an intimidating villain. I would much rather it have been his mask never came off. Was kind of a let down. Really downplayed his darkness.

Offline anakin2000

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 06:19:34 AM »
And this right here is my big point.... doesn't everyone else agree that the trailer made the movie seem like it would be so much more??? This movie was shorter than the others, which was kind of disappointing

Offline Remulos

• No Force
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 07:15:46 AM »
And this right here is my big point.... doesn't everyone else agree that the trailer made the movie seem like it would be so much more??? This movie was shorter than the others, which was kind of disappointing

Considering the task they had of appealing to 3 generations of fans, staying true to the original trilogy, improving upon the prequel trilogy and creating the sequel trilogy I think they did a lot with the time they had.

And I personally thought that Kylo Ren was a great villain. Not the same as Vader or the Emperor but still good. Manic and unpredictable vs cold and calculating.
Sabers I own:
Currently all imaginary

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 08:18:40 AM »

I've been watching Star Wars movies since I was 18 years old in 1977 and I must say I love it !! JJ is the man. Luke will be the man next time around!! :grin:

Offline NeptuneTQ

• Force User
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 08:26:49 AM »
I loved the xxx out of it.  I give it a 10/10 and I've seen every single one (Except for 1977 one cuz I wasn't born yet :)) in the theaters, even the awful rereleased special editions.

I actually loved the xxx out of Kylo Ren, I love what their doing with that character.  We already had Vader, who was masked and intimidating throughout the series, Kylo is not that.  They are purposely humanizing him by taking off the mask, talking about his internal struggle, and I think Adam Driver did a great job showing a sadness in his eyes whenever his mask is off.  I actually would've just rolled my eyes if they tried to just copy Vader's presence throughout this new trilogy.  I think JJ did a great job with this, and it's everything I had hoped the prequels would've been.
WTB: Legacy: Killer Penny Tribute

Offline MiSha

• Force User
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 09:45:21 AM »
I watched it yesterday - so here's my two cents.

Beware of MASSIVE SPOILERS

When I watched "The Hobbit", almost everyone around me was complaining about how this looked childish, that was overdone and all the rest was not accurate to the book. And I was just sitting there and enjoying the heck out of that movie.

I thought it would be the same with TFA - and then it wasn't. It was not all bad, mind you. But I left the theatre with mixed feelings.

The good parts:
- I loved the way they handled the special fx side of the movie. It just worked for me. Seeing the trench run with state of the art special effects was just amazing. Same with the Falcon scenes. The lightsaber blades looked excellent as well.
- I loved the way they introduced BB-8 and how they wrote its character. Funny, empathic. There seems to be so much right with that little guy - he's really challenging R2-D2s throne most favourite droid in the galaxy.
- Rey and Finn. Loved them. Rey more than Finn, but as a team I enjoyed watching them and their unfolding story. There is so much potential there. Especially in the smuggler-jedi character of Rey. Reminded me a little of Kyle Katarn - or how he might have been in early years (I've never read a single SW book, though).
-It was great to see all the nods to the old trilogy (let alone the get-together of the OT cast) - from "cantina aliens" to trench runs - even the death star kind of thing would have done it for me - if there hadn't been the flaws aplenty... which ruined the other half of the movie for me:

What I didn't like:

Vader in the Imperator died, the Empire fell - right? What the heck happened to the all's well in the galaxy? The empire was simply replaced by the so called first order - which is even more powerfull, has advanced technology and - obviously - access to even more ressources? How the scruffy nerfherder did that happen? (I also didn't like the in-your-face parallels to the Third Reich.)

Also: They built an even way BIGGER Death Star - which off-handedly eradiceted the Republic - without anyone noticing or feeling the need to intervene? And when half the world is lost, they attack that massive base with what - X-Wings??? Altough they clearly want to cause area damage? What happened to the y-wing bomber? What happened to the entire fleet? What were they thinking??

Also - Kylo Ren: I liked the otherness in him. Creepy. That is, until he took off his mask and behind the creepy sithly guy, there was just an unsure Marylin Manson fan who just wanted to get hugged. OK, then he killed his father - which, although downright forseeable, got him back to creepy. But he is still a baby-faced emo-kid with anger-management issues and way too little skills. He has that massive lightsaber, can freeze a blaster shot in mid-air but cannot defeat an ex-stormtrooper for the first time wielding a lightsaber he is not quite sure how to use in the first place?

Then there were too many places visited and the reunion of some characters felt a little shallow. So did Chewies reaction to Han's death. I mean, they were best buddies for life. Then Han dies, but hey, here is Rey ready to jump in. Whaaaaat? And did I mention big Gollum Voldemort. (I know the theories - I just don't think he was done well).

And that's how most of the movie felt to me (besides 50% awesome): shallow, flat. Too much intended for a two-hour flick. Consequently, depth was sacrificed - which did not do the whole thing any real justice.

But there is hope: I think the new trilogy has a lot of potential. I get the feeling that it had to get the poison out. Now that that's done, I'm eager to learn where they take it from here.

Two notes on the side: Funny thing is - I grew up with the OT and still loved everything about the Prequel Trilogy. Still, I'm complaining about TFA - what's wrong with me? I will watch TFA again next week and hope, the other half will win me over as well. But I still have my doubts.

Offline anakin2000

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 10:26:48 AM »
Yeah overall it was a fantastic installment. I just hated how Han was killed. So stupid IMO. He should've died an honorable death- in a battle or something. And then after he dies he just falls into the endless pit? Come on, almost a little disrepsectful. It was nice to see Rey (metaphorically) destroy Kylo. She'll be an awesome jedi.

Offline Greenie

• Force User
  • Pew pew!!
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 03:48:07 PM »
I just saw it and I give it a 0/10. Me, my mother and my sister just got back from seeing it and we all agree that it was horrible. Getting out of the theater I only had 3 things to say about it.

1. I set my expectations VERY low and did not expect to get a good movie, my expectations proved accurate to reality.
2. This is the worst butchery of a series I love since M Night Shaymalan's "The Last Airbender".
3. I miss George Lucas BAD.

Sounds like you sat down in the wrong theatre and watched a different movie to the rest of us :laugh:

Offline Zen

• Padawan Learner
  • "I can't believe it"-" That is why you fail"
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 03:52:54 PM »
Is there a more honorable way to die than trying to save your son? Sometimes it's the hardest fight...
Now, that's a name I've not heard in a long time..

retrousse