fiduciary

Author Topic: MR 2004 Rebel Snowspeeder TESB Studio Scale Replica  (Read 13402 times)

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
MR 2004 Rebel Snowspeeder TESB Studio Scale Replica
« on: November 18, 2006, 10:31:23 PM »
"Just hang on. Hang on, Dack. Get ready to fire that tow cable!"
Luke to Dack inside the cockpit of a snowspeeder during the Battle of Hoth.

Rebel Snowspeeder from Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

At the climax of the Battle of Hoth in The Empire Strikes Back, the Imperial forces seemed unstoppable.  The battle appeared to be one-sided as the AT-AT Imperial walkers lumbered towards their intended targets unhindered by cannon fire or Rebel heavy blasters.  However, the Rebels had another weapon in their arsenal:  the modified T-47 airspeeder, known more commonly as the snowspeeder.

These swift, tow-man vehicles utilize repulsor-lift technology to hover above the ground.  Two primary engines in the rear provide forward momentum, while a pilot and a rear gunner occupy the tiny cockpit in the center.

In addition to two blaster cannons mounted atop the wings, this light-weight craft also carries a cannon/harpoon launcher in the rear.  Using this harpoon and an attached tow-cable one of these small snowspeeders was able to topple over a mighty AT-AT.

These fascinating vechicles were created by teh ILM model crew in resin, metal, and plastic.  There were several different sizes of miniature models created for filming.  These ranged from tiny models only a few inches long, to a four-foot long model used for close-up shots like the scene when the foot of an AT-AT crushes Luke's snowspeeder.  Several full-sized speeder mockups were also created for action shots of the actors.

Master Replicas focused on the 21-inch studio scale models that were used for most of the primary shots in the film.  The models varied substantially in detailing and markings, so our designers sought out the model with the gray stripes tha was used by Luke Skywalker.

By comparing the archived models to screen grabs we were able to locate the exact model and used it as our master reference pattern.   Our design team took hundreds of photographs of the prop and obtained color chips of the paint in order to create an exact match of the prop's coloring.

Our designers took a digital scan of the model to capture the hundreds of surface details, including the blast patterns that were added to the models by the ILM crew during filming.  This scan data was then recreated by our factory in CNC machined plastic and metal.  The fuselage of the snowspeeder replica is cast in durable resin with numerous fine-detail parts reproduced in injection-molded ABS.  For added strength the twin blaster cannons are recreated in machined aluminum with plastic detailing.

Because the cockpit of the 21-inch studio model was not designed for cluse up shots, Master Replicas' designers worked with Lucasfilm to create a composite of both the studio model and full-size sets.  The result is a replica that looks realistic and maintains the attention to detail expected by our collectors.  The Master Replicas 3/4 studio-scale snowspeeder replica is a perfect balance of size, value and collectability.

Almost a year of research and development has gone into the creation of this second model in Master Replicas' collection of Star Wars vehicles.  It has been designed and engineered to last for many years and we hope that it will become a centerpiece of your collection.

REVIEW
I must say that this Studio Scale model has well surpassed my expectations.  Pictures just don't do justice to the quality of this wonderful replica.  The heavy weight of the model makes is seem like it is fresh from the ILM workshop ready for filming.  Each mark and bit of snow are painstakenly recreated like you would see on an actual model.  The cockpit of the replica is really what will blow you away.  It's an exacting reproduction of the actual full-size cockpit used by the actors.  I feel like I could "take on the Empire myself"  by  lifting the canopy and hopping into it.
If you choose to get a Studio Scale, I would definitely suggest getting the Rebel Snowspeeder simply for the level of detail taken above and beyond what any Studio Scale should be.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 04:38:50 PM by ANAKIN SKYWALKER »

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline darthmaddy

• formerly known as Darth Malak
  • Master Force User
  • BATMAUL
Re: MR 2004 Rebel Snowspeeder TESB Studio Scale Replica
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 01:07:44 AM »
Great review, Anakin.  Your pictures get better and better.  Is it tempting at all to take it out of the display case and hang it from a ceiling? :D
I'm not wearing hockey pads.

Offline Dark Skywalker

• formerly known as Dark Skywalker
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 08:34:50 AM »
Awesome, review.

Nothing Is Impossible

Offline Darth Bane

• Experienced Force User
    • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darth_Bane
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 10:26:08 AM »
great review..

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 05:08:29 PM »
Great review and congrats on your snowspeeder! It's one of a kind.DaJoQuim

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 09:20:28 PM »
Great review, Anakin.  Your pictures get better and better.  Is it tempting at all to take it out of the display case and hang it from a ceiling? :D

No, but it is temptimg to take it out of the case and fly it around making "whoosh" engine and blaster sounds as I attack my Hasbro AT-AT...okay, I only did it once, but if I hadn't it would have eaten away at me to do so, ahhahah

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline darthmaddy

• formerly known as Darth Malak
  • Master Force User
  • BATMAUL
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 09:40:05 PM »
 ;D
I'm not wearing hockey pads.

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 05:00:32 PM »
Really nice review, I wonder how have I missed this...  ???. I wonder if I should replace my 1995 toy with this one?

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 06:15:03 PM »

Great review anakin I always like the Snow speeder.  Thanks for all of the pics.

I couldn't resist the urge to take it out and hang it on my ceiling though.  As a kid i had an x wing tie fighter and imperial shuttle with lights that were hung from my ceiling hooked to pulleys and clear fishing line.  I even had a motor that took them all around the room chasing each other.  It's great when your dad is an engineer.

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 07:57:39 PM »
To be honest, I'm starting to lean toward this item more and more! Should I consider myself lucky to find one nowadays, since only 1,500 were made overall? It's a little pricey, but is it worth it?

Offline Sidneyious

• Alias......Ninja of the Mist
  • Master Force User
    • Blog of my saber builds.
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 05:04:59 AM »
I alwase loved the snow speeders.

They dont get enough recagnition.

retrousse