fiduciary

Author Topic: Difference between Open Source and CFX?  (Read 2480 times)

Offline Grigori

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Difference between Open Source and CFX?
« on: February 22, 2020, 09:47:39 PM »
I'm not clear on the difference between the open source and CFX version of fonts at Saberfont. The board I have with smoothswing is a warsabers, so I assume I"ll need to do some filename editing either way. Is it worth spending a few extra dollars for the CFX and Open Source combined version, or just get the Open Source only version which is a little cheaper? 

Offline SilantStrike

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
Re: Difference between Open Source and CFX?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 05:03:25 AM »
Open source refers to ProffieBoard.  Warsabers appears to offer the CerbeRUS and ProffieBoard, so I think the first thing you should do is confirm what you actually have installed in your saber.

CerbeRUS appears to use plecter based files, atleast that is what the manual says, so if you have a CerbeRUS board that supports both plecter and smoothswing, then chances are you should get the CFX sound font.

However maybe its best for you to contact warsabers directly to confirm what they support

Offline Grigori

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 02:44:44 AM »
Many thanks for the response :)

My impression was the files for proffie and CFX are essentially the same, but with different naming conventions. So I guess I’m wondering if I’m paying a couple extra bucks just to avoid the hassle of renaming the files. It is the CerbeRUS board I have currently, though I have eyes on a proffie of CFX in the future also, so future proofing is great too of course! I’ve got a little collection of Plecter fonts currently but they’re all pre-smooth swing versions, so repurchasing newer version will add up quickly.

Offline MikeyX

• Force User
  • Star Wars collector in the UK.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 05:19:01 AM »
Does the CerbeRUS board support 44k samples, or just 22k?

I mention as a lot of Proffie and CFX fonts are mastered at 44k these days (as they should be :smiley:) - however if CerbeRUS only supports 22k then you'd have to down-convert the files.

The older Plecter boards only supported 22k samples. Proffie supports 22k or 44k, as does CFX (first Plecter card to support 44k).

Offline Grigori

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 01:58:15 PM »
Thanks MickeyX, I don’t know if 22k or 44k, their manual doesn’t say anything more then ‘plecter format’ and I’ve not gotten a response from them to my email. I guess I can check the SD card to see what the included files are, and maybe just buy one new font and trial that initially to see how it goes. Thanks for the heads up, that will help me know what to look for :)

retrousse