fiduciary

Author Topic: Real Saber Concepts...  (Read 42057 times)

Offline djobitwan7

• Master Force User
Re: Real Saber Concepts...
« Reply #105 on: December 30, 2009, 11:40:43 PM »
Since Tesla is also the man of discussion, lets not forget that he was also responsible for DC (Direct Current) electricity too. Oddly, he worked for Edison to make funding ( I believe he dug ditches) and just before that (the reason he hated Edison so much) he worked on the problem Edison was having. He fixed it and when said payment was not produced........Tesla left.

I'm not sure of the exact reasoning why Edison got all the glory, but I can remember that Tesla was at times cruel to people. He was brilliant, but he also had a photographic memory. Edison did not, hence his many, many mistakes comparitively to Tesla.

The best achievement, in my opinion was Tesla wanted electricity to be free. It still could be, but that's another frustrating story. Now they mock his invention(s) of wirelessley charging things and it only works when you are close (only 30 ft).

It's a shame that a lot of his inventions will never see the light of day, but if something he mentioned or anything that allows an early version of a lightsaber to be born...I'm all for it! If I had any skills in this department, I'd throw in whole-heartedly.

Offline General Veers

• Master Force User
  • I gots BAD frostbite on Hoth.
    • Lightsabers with GV
« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2010, 09:19:56 AM »
Is it possible?  Yes.  Is it possible this day in age?  Yes.  I believe I can shed some light on this topic.  Seeing that I have no life this is something I have actually researched.  The technology is becoming available now that we can build some what of a lightsaber.  HOWEVER, the technology isn't caught up enough to where we can make that hilts the size of a flashlight.  No it takes about a 2-4 story building of machinery to make something even close to a lightsaber.  ALSO, if the laser provided by that building and the laser provided by another building full of equipment were struck together, they would not make a clash noise merely meet and pass through eachother or meet and make no sound.  I actually saw this on a History channel show called:  "Star Wars Technology:  Is it Possible?"  Really though folks, through the whole thing I was sitting there saying to myself,  "Who cares if it's possible?  It is a mans brilliant, ingenius idea that we have all come to love."  I was also thinking, " I could be at home swinging one of my PolyC sabers around.  My limbs are very important to me ya know."  Very interesting concept though Yoda.  I will most definatley be following this thread.

Offline Lord_Mobius

• No Force
« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2010, 10:44:33 AM »
I had myself given thought to aiming two or four beams of opposing wavelength to intersect at the 3ft point to create the contained beam but I was always of the thought that the beams would simply pass through each other... however looking at some of the ideas here it really makes me wonder...

My only concern would be, I cant even think of how many times I have grazed my leg or accidentally grabbed the blade... god forbid guy guy wielding this weapon trip or stumble... unless you built in some kind of proximity redundancy device for the holder, you would be in trouble.

still it would be amazing to see it done.

Offline 4hv

• No Force
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2011, 09:17:19 PM »
Since Tesla is also the man of discussion, lets not forget that he was also responsible for DC (Direct Current) electricity too. Tesla was the inventor of AC not DC. Funnily enough though, once the war of the currents was over and AC reigned supreme Tesla completely abandoned it, in favor of IMPULSE DC, which was superior. Oddly, he worked for Edison to make funding ( I believe he dug ditches)Nope and just before that (the reason he hated Edison so much) he worked on the problem Edison was having. Improving the efficiency of Brushed DC motors He fixed it and when said payment was not produced........Tesla left. Yep, and then he pooed all over Edisons tech. ;D

I'm not sure of the exact reasoning why Edison got all the glory, but I can remember that Tesla was at times cruel to people.Thats news to me. Brilliant, OCD, and other things, I have never read anything relating to Tesla being unusually cruel to anyone. He was brilliant, but he also had a photographic memory. Edison did not, hence his many, many mistakes comparitively to Tesla. Edison got all the glory because Edison was first and foremost a business man, and the fact that the powers that be wrote Tesla out of the history books. Tesla was a student of the pure sciences, natural science, whereas Edison was one of applied science. There are nearly no pure scientists these days, its all about the $$. If you can make money off it then you make a science out of it, regardless of whether it conforms to natural law.

The best achievement, in my opinion was Tesla wanted electricity to be free. It still could be, but that's another frustrating story. Now they mock his invention(s) of wirelessley charging things and it only works when you are close (only 30 ft). I have seen and heard evidence from solid reputable sources which state Teslas wireless power systems are actually in use today, discretely of course, military or large corporations etc. Never for the public, because they cant place their meter on it, and if you cant meter it how can you charge for it! I have a benchtop model of wireless power demonstration I have built that can transmit wireless energy up to 6 feet, for less than 50ma. MIT made a big spectacle of resonantly tuned wireless energy transfer a couple of years ago and made it seem like they had invented it. In reality, they are just touching the tip of the iceberg of what Tesla did.

It's a shame that a lot of his inventions will never see the light of day, xxx straight, he changed our world completely with the ones they did let through. but if something he mentioned or anything that allows an early version of a lightsaber to be born...I'm all for it! If I had any skills in this department, I'd throw in whole-heartedly.

Sorry, I know its an old thread but I just had to add my 2 cents. Tesla was, and still is THE MAN when it comes to this stuff.

There was some talk earlier of using high voltage and high frequency to induce electrical arcs, essentially plasma or lightning bolts. The biggest draw back with this is the randomness at which these arcs travel. If you were holding a Tesla coil tuned to discharge a bolt of 3-4 feet it more than likely would just arc back to your hand, direct path to ground through your heart, goodbye. If we could use some means to guide this arc or confine it then it would be more plausible. Tesla used a strong perpendicular magnetic field in his spark gaps to "quench" the spark, for faster switching speeds. Once the arc stretched across the points it was hard to extinguish, requiring a strong magnetic field or compressed air or suitable dielectric material to break up this action. Rotorary spark gaps were a common method. Funnily enough, everyone seems to think that Teslas air core transformer was designed specifically for display of high voltage arcs, when in fact Tesla only ever let the arcing occur in an attempt to tune his devices. Tesla saw the arcs as an incredible waste of power and worked hard to eliminate this wherever possible.

Ive often wondered how the VTTC (vacuum tube Tesla coils) are able to provide such straight, "sword-like" arcs. It would seem at first that the tubes were necessary for this to occur, however recently Steve ward demonstrated a different switching technique he refers to as QCW (quasi continuous wave) which exceed even the best tubed coils. A short video can be seen here
The straigtness of the arc itself is what is particularly interesting.

Compare it to any of the other coils (besides VTTCs) and you will see the difference.

At least we have the SITH lightning sorted  :D

Regards

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2011, 10:29:47 PM »
Companies are now trying to invest in producing technology for short wave wireless electricity
http://articles.cnn.com/2009-09-02/tech/wireless.electricity_1_electricity-low-power-wireless?_s=PM:TECH
Tesla was on to something great, but he had a big idea and pitched it to people with small minds, who were interested in profit.  There was no money to be made in providing free energy to the masses.  People also didn't need electricity for anything other then powering a few electrical items within there household and around town.

Now though, shortwave wireless energy transfer does have a market it can mature in.  People have laptops connected to their wireless internet, as well as cell phones they take everywhere.  The main drop back to these items in the requirement to plug them in every so often, disabling their wireless capabilities.  So companies now are investing in ways to allow these items to power wirelessly.   So far we have seen mats where you can drop your cell phone on to charge them as well as larger items.  The next step would be to set up more mats for you to drop things on to charge, with a central location sending out small amounts of electricity to power things over time.  Imagine coming home from work and having your phone charge automatically, and your laptop would be free to move about the house if you had several central locations to charge it from within the household.

I already have wireless internet, having it charge wirelessly would be nice as well.  Small steps now, which I personally hope will turn into bigger steps later.  Oh and nokia is working on a battery to charge devices with ambient radiowaves - http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/jun/10/nokia-mobile-phone

Then I would have no reason to buy a seperate mp3 player other then what was built into my cell phone.

For lightsabers, I think we need to learn how to see the future and make sure we don't cut our limbs off before we actually make a lightsaber that can do it.

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2011, 10:05:58 AM »

For lightsabers, I think we need to learn how to see the future and make sure we don't cut our limbs off before we actually make a lightsaber that can do it.

Indeed.

Precognition is real, as has been known since the beginning of history as well as to those of us who have experienced it...but AFAIK no one has ever been able to use it reliably continuously enough to be TACTICAL precognition which is what we need to develop to be useful in wielding a lightsaber...until then building a real lightsaw could be useful as a tool for emergencies but NOT practical as a weapon - knowing even without seeing where the blade is and is going to be - would be the key to lightsaber safety with the kind of weapon use seen in the SW films.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2011, 11:59:55 AM »
I just have to ask, after seeing a bunch of posts from random peeps in the last few months.....What is up with starting an account on a forum and pasting walls of text that mean absolutely nothing?  I figure it's a form of spam, but I fail to see how it is benefitting whoever is doing it.

Maybe I'm just out of touch, but I don't get it
Support our Font Makers!

Offline Forgetful Jedi Knight

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The old Jedi Master also commonly known as FJK
« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2011, 01:39:28 PM »
Gil,

Those are bots that appear to do this to try and compromise the site. Thankfully the mods are great at catching and erasing these threats ASAP. Some even specialize in this I am told.  ;)

May the force be with you all!

Remember... speak softly and carry a well constructed light saber! :)

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer whatever consequences your actions or words dictate

Offline Han Skywalker Antilles

• No Force
« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2012, 09:43:21 AM »
Old Thread...I know, but I gotta add my 2 cents. I think as close as we'll get in our lifetimes is a hilt, probably powered by some sort of backpack (protosaber style) with something akin to an old telescoping car radio antenna.

Imagine two of these antennas about an inch apart (in the same hilt, obviously), about 36 or so inches long and joined at the top by an upside down "U" of the same material. It could still telescope up and down into the hilt, except now you have a joined circuit that doesn't require you to break the laws of physics. Whatever energy you see powering this thing, you would have an arc of plasma traveling up one side and down the other, but so close that they blend together to become one, like two water droplets. If you could insulate the hilt enough and make the plasma hot enough...who knows.

This also solves the two beams passing through each other during dueling, provided the "antenna" material is strong enough. Maybe impregnated carbon nano tubes...
You could beat the xxx of them and never damage it...

I'm just bummed that this thread died before I joined...     :(
"Fast ship? You've never heard of the Aluminum Falcon?"

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #114 on: November 13, 2012, 12:32:23 PM »
i made a fully working saber with a real ejecting blade yrs ago and nobody cared

i made in on april 1st 2011  ::)

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline Drazel O'Thumos

• Formerly known as forcepractitioner
  • Master Force User
« Reply #115 on: November 13, 2012, 12:45:11 PM »
i made a fully working saber with a real ejecting blade yrs ago and nobody cared

i made in on april 1st 2011  ::)

How did you do the trick?  :D
If only such an ejecting blade device was possible. That would make it far more realistic (instead of having to attach and detach a blade each time that you want to use your lightsaber).
Maybe using a telescopic polycarbonate tube would be a solution.

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #116 on: November 13, 2012, 01:04:44 PM »
i was just messing around one day, it was one of my empty mr hilts i put all the electronics inside the blade and used an elastic band to eject the blade from the hilt it worked really well tbh but what you couldnt see on camera was the blade sticking out the back of the hilt, id absolutely love a saber that ejected some sort of blade and retracted it it would be soooooo cool

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline Deceptae

• Force User
  • Power, Passion, Strength
« Reply #117 on: May 11, 2013, 10:12:12 AM »
As far as the blade, I would have to say not plasma, but an actual laser. i know what you are saying, "you can't stop a laser," well, yes you can. not yet, but scientists are working on making super-powerful electro-magnetic fields that can slow down lasers by an infinitesimal fraction of a second. eventually, if they continue work, they could actually be able to stop the laser. and maybe after that, be able to fit the necessary junk into a reasonably sized hilt.

as far as keeping track of the blade, the action of the laser burning through the air and making ozone may cause some resistance to simulate weight, but barring that, I would advise becoming powerful in kundalini meditation and making your psychic powers usable.

so, yeah, i think it is possible, and within a century, maybe sooner. well see
...The Force Shall Set Me Free.

retrousse