fiduciary

Author Topic: How many LEDs in a 36" PlecterPixel blade?  (Read 2661 times)

Offline OwenSkywalker

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
How many LEDs in a 36" PlecterPixel blade?
« on: February 01, 2020, 07:23:14 AM »
Hey all, I need to change the setting on a NeoPixel saber to account for a longer VV blade I recently got.  Apologies if this is published somewhere and I'm just not able to find it, but how many LEDs are in the 36" blade.  In other words, what should I change the LED setting to in my saber config?  Thanks!

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
Re: How many LEDs in a 36" PlecterPixel blade?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 08:12:04 AM »
VV should be able to tell you exactly, but I have a 35” that I built and it has 124. You could increment up until the blade is fully lit and if you are a couple over you will be fine. When you have the exact number, the scrolling is spot on with the ignition sound file.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 10:53:47 AM »
1.44pixels/cm * 2.54cm/in x #in

It depends on how your measure your blade, but figure you'll subtract about 1-2in for the tip and connection. You can always trim the strips.

Offline SilantStrike

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 04:40:53 AM »
36" blades that I build will have 130 pixels, but there is no hard and fast rule that says everyone must build blades the same way.  If you cannot find the exact answer, then I would suggest starting with a lower number until the blade tip does not illuminate, then increment that number up by 1 until they are all illuminated

Offline OwenSkywalker

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 06:17:08 AM »
Thanks all!  I'm not a builder so I don't have much experience with RICE and all that, but I got this figured out by looking at the config on one NP saber, measuring out the blade it came with, measuring the difference between that blade and the new one, and using jbkuma's reference to calculate the difference in pixels.  Don't know if I got the number exactly right, but I set it for 131 and everything looks good.

Kind of proud of myself for that bit of problem solving :)

retrousse