fiduciary

Author Topic: RGB for dummies  (Read 2007 times)

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
  • Many tentacles the dark side has
    • My Youtube channel
RGB for dummies
« on: July 29, 2017, 07:56:44 PM »
So this is one I was asked for quite some time ago and I had been holding off. I am filming it now as part of a set. I figure you fine people already know all this stuff, but maybe I can be the subject of some morbid curiosity as I answer some of the questions I get asked by people new to the hobby. This video is the first in a set on color changing options with lightsabers. It deals with the cheapest option out there, which is color discs. I look at what color discs are, what LEE and Apollo filters are, how the two compare, and what you can and cannot do with them.

YouTube

This video is the second in a set on color changing options with lightsabers. It looks at dayblades or colored blades. I look at products from Saberforge, Kyberlight, Vader's vault, the Custom Saber Shop (TCSS), and some premium options from Ripper blades. I look at features, differeces and similarities, and fuction. I also discuss how they work to alter the color of the LED.

YouTube

This video is the third in a set on color changing options with lightsabers. It looks at a specific type of day blade called a photon blade. I look at products from Kyberlight, Vader's vault, and a couple home brew options and discuss how florescent dyes can impact the brightness and color of your LED saber.

YouTube

I will be shootine one more long one on a cross brand look at RGB boards.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
Re: RGB for dummies
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 10:51:21 AM »
Excellent stuff!

I'd like to mention two more ways to get changing colors:

1: Neopoxels, quite popular nowadays, and gives you full RGB mixing, plus super-smooth in/out animations and more.

2: Replacable LED modules. (like this: LED star adapter) This lets me have separate red, green, blue, etc. modules for the same saber. Each specialty-color module is about twice as bright as if I just used an RGB module. It's more of a proof-of-concept though as I like my neopixel and string blades a lot more. As far as I know, nobody else has actually built anything like this.

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
  • Many tentacles the dark side has
    • My Youtube channel
Re: RGB for dummies
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 02:01:08 PM »
Thanks for that. I had forgotten about the LED swapping. I will cover that in the next video since you reminded me. A lot of companies offer quick disconnects. I don't intend to cover the string blades though. I don't have one and don't ever see myself having one. The weight and fragility is a deal breaker for what I do with my sabers.

retrousse