fiduciary

Author Topic: String Blade / NeoPixel blade and hilt inserts  (Read 3334 times)

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
String Blade / NeoPixel blade and hilt inserts
« on: December 16, 2016, 01:38:06 PM »

I've designed these inserts to fit a 1" thin wall blade I can obviously tweak it to fit a thick wall blade, 7/8" etc.  The photos are fitted into some scraps for testing.  The blade plug houses a 7bit neopixel disc.  I'll pull apart and reassemble Li'l Billy and install these over the weekend since it's all hardwired right now.

The inserts snugly house an 8pin aviation plug to allow quick disconnect of the blade. The nut from the male end snaps into the hilt side housing, and snugs up perfectly flush.  The blade side female plug fits the geometry of the business end, with a hole placed for the retention screw from the metal housing, which can be discarded.

Depending on your setup you could use this for either String Blade, NeoPixel, or even a star LED (I'm waiting for some parts, but I'll have a prototype for that soon). Can be used with any card designed to be used with a 6 segment (or 7 if you aren't using a signal line), DIYino or other homebrew electronics.  Even if you are using a standard Plecter card designed for a star LED, you could add an Arduino or ATTiny 85 in the hilt similar to my R2ino project. You could also easily put the chip in the blade or plug to convert it between the different types while saving space in your hilt. In my R2ino I use the ignition and FOC pads from the Nano Biscotte as signals.

In this prototype I made the blade insert wide enough for an 8-32 set screw, but just barely.  Now that I have it in hand it could obviously use to be a bit longer to use with screws, so I'll adjust for a version 2. It can be glued in as well, obviously, if you aren't concerned with maintenance or prototyping.  Glue is probably the recommended solution for long term durability, especially with thin wall blades.

I had 3 prototypes made up, and I'll probably toss at least one up for sale as a kit if anyone wants to try it out, then put together a 10 pieces of the updated version in the new year.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 01:48:52 PM by jbkuma »

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
Re: String Blade / NeoPixel blade and hilt inserts
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 03:18:02 PM »
I've also been looking for a good source for 9pin aviation plugs which would allow all six LS pads on the DIYino, a signal line for the neo pixel, ground, and the 9th could be a line to identify the blade type that has been inserted.  I'm going to order some after the holiday and start testing that out.  The adapter could then be used interchangeably with single or tri LED, string blade, or pixel blade.  Assuming your current loads are OK, you can pull that off to some extent without knowing what is plugged in.  (basically set it up as a neopixel blade, let the on off of the LS pads handle turning the LED or string on/off without ramping)

In reality, strings and stars can also be adapted to be neo pixels.  This is how my Pathfinder hilt works.  A WS2812B chip and some mosfets are crammed into the emitter end to make it easier to sync the effects with the speaker accent LED and the 7bit button backlight.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 06:27:05 PM »
 I'm not sure anyone believed I was going to wait.  Works exactly as expected and it means I can carry this thing around now. Plug is a bit long since it is meant for a different build.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 09:12:40 AM by jbkuma »

Offline Gallandro

• No Force
  • An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 07:55:48 AM »
I'm almost certainly down for one or two of these.  PM incoming.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 09:34:27 AM »
1" Think, 1" Tick, and .875" thin versions area all designed.  I increased the blade insert size by 1.5mm which makes it easier to attach by set screw.  I have 9 and 10 pin connectors on order that I will be testing as soon as they come in, and I'll offer 8, 9, and 10 pin packaged kits assuming everything works out.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 09:42:56 AM by jbkuma »

Offline Gallandro

• No Force
  • An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age.
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 09:03:42 PM »
While everyone is running to NeoPixel, I'm over here with the LED segment holdouts, at least until I take my best run at a 'duelworthy' SpaceWindu blade.  The good news is that no matter how that turns out, a DIYino and connector setup is versatile enough to work with that or whatever I try next.  jbkuma is weathering a barrage of newbie questions from me as I study the work of Space, eastern57, CET, Obi_1, slothfurnace, neskweek, JakeSoft, and more.  That's a long-winded way of saying 'nice community you have here!'

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 10:20:22 PM »
I think NeoPixels are still pretty fringy. The stood are too power hungry and directional to out do other technologies, but they do have a time and place.

The addressable technology, however can be pretty useful for various purposes.  It's fun to play with, and it's just another tool to be used when appropriate.

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 02:09:29 PM »
Count me in for a module in case you make some for sale! What you experiment with here is exactly my blind spot I never seem to make right...

retrousse