fiduciary

Author Topic: Lil Billy - A Yule Side Saber.  (Read 2928 times)

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
Lil Billy - A Yule Side Saber.
« on: December 14, 2016, 03:18:13 PM »

Introducing Li'l Billy - A Yule Side Saber

Li'l Billy is DIYino based lightsaber with a customized version of LSOS I've dubbed DIYuletide.  Custom effects include a candy cane striped neopixel blade with matching ignition and extinguish effects and sequentially triggered swing sounds to enable the playing of a tune.  The font is YuleSide, a custom font I assembled from public domain sounds including sleigh bells, hand bells, whip cracks, and my own "ho ho ho."

Materials:
Table leg - cut, stained, painted & cored out with spade blades and a hand drill.
Holiday bell decoration
aluminum tubing: 1.25x1 & 1x.75
sink drain cover speaker cover
2x120 pixel NeoPixel LED strips
DIYino
assorted wiring, connectors and screws.

I wanted to get this done by today so I could share it with friends and family, and I managed to get it done on time.  It could use a kill key, but for now I'll settle for disconnecting the battery between uses.  This is by no means a polished build, but it is only meant to be a fun thing for the holiday season after which I'll gut it and use the parts elsewhere. 

« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 03:45:40 PM by jbkuma »

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
Re: Lil Billy - A Yule Side Saber.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 03:24:04 PM »
Very festive. I like it!
Better late than never.

Offline Thexter

• Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 03:34:20 PM »
Well done. From pommel to "emitter" it looks like a well done holiday decoration. Then you get past the bell and it has a lightsaber blade! Super unique.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 03:38:55 PM »
Well done. From pommel to "emitter" it looks like a well done holiday decoration. Then you get past the bell and it has a lightsaber blade! Super unique.
Thanks, that was really my goal! 

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 06:07:13 PM »
Ha, thats awesome. Well done.

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 05:03:17 PM »
That's just fantastic! I love the creativity.  :cheesy:

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 07:00:31 PM »
Thanks guys :D

Offline Askew Wai

• No Force
  • Speak softly. Carry an R2.
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 09:47:23 PM »
Beautiful saber! I love the candy cane effect and the sounds are just what it needs :)

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 01:14:50 PM »
That's the funniest saber I've even seen! And the best Season's Greeting I received this year too! I love the Jingle Bells piano with a single key! And the candy effect rocks too! Very creative use of saber parts and electronics! Good to see that someone out there actually programs the board with new features!

Thanks also Jake to make me aware of this cute saber! I was off the last few days on an important business ( :) watching Rogue One), but now back to attend to Xmas business and this is a great warm up to the coming festivities :) thanks for sharing.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 04:05:59 PM »
Thanks, I'm glad you like it, and I thought you would appreciate it based on our previous conversations. :D

My pixel blade isn't perfect, but I'll redo it after the holidays.  I did upgrade this build to include a recharge port, D-ring, and removable blade with the blade inserts I've been working on. (seen here: String Blade / NeoPixel blade and hilt inserts ) I forgot to put the kill key in last night and was pleasantly surprised that the battery still has a decent charge.

Offline Gallandro

• No Force
  • An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age.
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 12:31:46 PM »
That's really fun and funny, and insanely geeky, but what forum am I on anyway? :laugh:  I've done a lot of last minute holiday animation projects in my time, so I can relate.  Now I want to see the guts of it.  How much wood did you clear out, and where does the board sit?

Offline dr.djcolegrove

• Force User
  • Impressive, most impressive
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 06:51:45 PM »
cool.  I'm imaging a salvation army bell ringer whipping this out lol
VV/JQ Sabers: Starkiller; SC/VV: Qui-Gon limited edition; VV:Ardent Elite/Havoc/Hero; JQ Sabers:Graflex x2/Graflex Revisited/Lumi/Plo/Chromed Obi TPMx2/Chromed Duke; RO Sabers: Luke ANH and Rey TFA/Obi ANH/KotaV5; HARP: TFU1 SK/DM/SS/TFU2 SK/QGJ/Obi TPM; LDM: GK3/Jacen Solo; GCS: Bane/Ascend x2/Jaina Solo; SH: Force Witch x2/Padawan x2/Corran/Ahsoka pair/Luke V2/TFU2. OM/LDM: Stormtrooper/Skinnyflex; Goodman: Laceratus; FR: Gungi/Wampa/Kota/Yun/Tenel Ka/Darth Talon; NA: Darth Baras;OR: Adi Gallia/Mara Jade;MR:Sid; 89Sabers: Sid,LukeV2

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 07:13:46 PM »
That's really fun and funny, and insanely geeky, but what forum am I on anyway? :laugh:  I've done a lot of last minute holiday animation projects in my time, so I can relate.  Now I want to see the guts of it.  How much wood did you clear out, and where does the board sit?

I used a 1" twist bit, then a 1" spade to clear out more central mass. Even with an extension (don't try this at home) I couldn't get all the way through with the 1", but I got enough to get my wires through. The DIYino was approximately in the upper part of the grip area behind the button. Poorly positioned, really, and also not tied down so the motion sensing was a bit off. The battery was almost directly behind the speaker, with the charge port barely between them.

I'm planning on redoing it next year when I have time to order a real bell and give it more heavily customized coding.

The charge port was defective so I ended up just taking the whole thing and working on my next hilt.

retrousse