fiduciary

Author Topic: 2005 Master Replica Vader Sabre has no sound  (Read 964 times)

Offline jweaver100

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
2005 Master Replica Vader Sabre has no sound
« on: October 24, 2023, 06:43:41 AM »
I have a pair of 2005 Master Replica Sabres and the Vader version has lost its sound.

It 100% used to work, but the last time I switch it on, the batteries had clearly died as it was very dim.. But since then, only the light works and not the sound.

I have tried opening up the electronics module several times, but its clearly glued and I am going to destroy it..

Does anyone have any tips on how to get inside? And if so, are there any known failure modes and obvious components I could replace.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
Re: 2005 Master Replica Vader Sabre has no sound
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 08:33:42 AM »
A common issue if the batteries leaked would be corrosion on the contact pins or the wiring inside the battery pack itself. IIRC, the only way to open those is to break the seam with a thin, sharp knife blade.

If it is not corrosion related in the battery pack, it might be the transistor that acts as the audio amp on the soundboard itself. You'd have to dismantle the saber to get to that and also crack open the housing to get to it. Dis-assembly instructions can be found here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?1-05-MR-Vader-Done-amp-kits-available
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 08:46:43 AM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline jweaver100

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2023, 09:31:20 AM »
A common issue if the batteries leaked would be corrosion on the contact pins or the wiring inside the battery pack itself. IIRC, the only way to open those is to break the seam with a thin, sharp knife blade.

If it is not corrosion related in the battery pack, it might be the transistor that acts as the audio amp on the soundboard itself. You'd have to dismantle the saber to get to that and also crack open the housing to get to it. Dis-assembly instructions can be found here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?1-05-MR-Vader-Done-amp-kits-available [nofollow]

Many thanks.. its not corrosion.. Everything is mint.. I caught it before the batteries actually went flat and leaked.. Its probably a co-incidence, but is odd that I had flat batteries and when I replaced them the audio failed.

I will have a look at the link you sent hopefully I can work out how to get inside..

Cheers

Jon

Edit.. I assumed that all of the electronics was in the battery pack as thats where the speaker is. I just assumed this was a self contained unit which had the sound hardware, speaker and gyroscopes in. It never crossed my mind that the electronics were inside the saber itself.. I need to look a bit closer before I start stripping it down.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 09:34:10 AM by jweaver100 »

Offline jweaver100

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2023, 03:33:33 AM »
Turns out, my understanding of the battery module was wrong.. its just batteries and a speaker.. There is no electronics in it.

There are 3 pins on the end.. The ones on opposite sides are battery.. So the one in the middle goes to the speaker.. And measuring between this and the battery shows an Open Circuit.. This proved that its either a wiring problem, or the speaker has blown.

So I cut around the end (Around 5mm from the tip) using my bandsaw and the end ring of plastic came off to reveal a little 28mm driver.. I tested it and its dead, so its just a blown speaker.

I have ordered a replacement from China and it should be a trivial job of fitting it and gluing the end back on and making it good...

So this was a lot less complex than I thought.. I hope someone finds this post one day and its useful to them.

Cheers all.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 07:53:52 AM by jweaver100 »

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2023, 01:32:24 PM »
Looks like you have this sorted, I hope it works!

retrousse