fiduciary

Author Topic: Darth Vader ANH Force FX (2003) Review and Pics  (Read 26576 times)

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
Darth Vader ANH Force FX (2003) Review and Pics
« on: August 21, 2005, 03:27:54 PM »
THE STORY
     Soon after I recieved my ROTJ Luke FX saber, I felt the need to cross to the Dark Side.  Once I found out that the Vader ANH saber had the power-up/down light effects I knew I had to have it added to my collection.  So at the time Master Replicas had started their Holiday promotion period and you could purchase the Vader ANH or the Luke ROTJ without the stand for $99.00 with FREE shipping.  Now was the time.  I jumped on it and was able to use a $25 MR coupon code to get the final total down to $74.00!!  What a deal, I'm glad I got it when I did.  It was a very early Christmas present to myself.

THE SABER OUT OF THE BOX

The FX saber itself is VERY well done.  The components used for construction are durable and heavy-duty.  Nothing flimsy about this beautiful lightsaber.

The Battery Holder is the same as in the Luke ROTJ and is easily accessed by unscrewing the encap on the lightsaber.  All you have to do is snap in the 6 AA batteries, replace the holder and you are ready to go.

The 2003 Master Replicas and Lucasfilm Ltd. copyright  stamping on the encap.

The On/Off switch is the "round" button located in the recessed area of the gloss black assembly.  To activate, just push the button up towards the blade.  I like the placement of this switch because there is absolutely no way for you to accidentily turn it off or on.

The details on the lightsaber closely resemble the original prop.  The Control Box with the 6-bubble strip on top and the "bent-nail" detail added on the side of the box.

All the original flashgun details were duplicated to scale with the Force FX lightsaber.  The letter designations next to the faux ports came initially with anodized paint in the recessed area, but after some handling this paint tends to come off.

Further detail points include the attention that was paid to the emitter shroud housing.  Two holes drilled completely through the housing to follow the original detail of the flashgun.  Just a little detail you might not ever notice.

THE SABER IGNITED

In Normal Room Light

In Low Room Light

There is no Full Darkness photo due to the fact that my camera will not photograph the TRUE color of the Red blade as many cameras will show it to be orange.  But let me say, it is VERY RED!

WORKING REVIEW
The saber takes some getting use to holding it your hand.  The Control Box has a strange offset that makes it a bit odd to handle.  Doing twirls and spins is possible but cumbersome.  But hey, Vader never needed to do any saber twilrling!  As I said earlier the On/Off switch is not easily turned on/off  by accident.  Once turned on the saber instantly ignites with a beautiful "snap-hiss" sound.  The Idle hum is more of a "buzz" sound which exactly how it was in the film.  There is absolutely no stutter to the sound loop played for the hum.  The motion sensor works well with the 3 "slash" sounds.  With the ANH vader the "slash" sound FX do tend to overlap occasionally which is common to these sabers.  The clash sound is easily activated by gently tapping the center area of the blade where the shock sensor is located.  As with most of the DV sabers the power down effect is slower than the others.  The sound effect begins a full second before the light effect will "retract". 

THE COMPARISON

As you can see the Force FX is about the closest of any of the FX sabers to come to the actual LE/SE prop replicas.  Here it is shown against my Vader ANH SE.  The dimensions are very close with the FX being only marginally larger in circumference.

A fine job of duplicating the faux look of the ports on the FX saber considering the room needed for the blade and electronics.  As you can see, the "letter" detail is much smaller on the SE than on the FX saber.

Small differences in the Emitter housing details such as the extra room given for the button on the FX to slide up.  Also the silver knobs on the housing had different finishes.  The SE's finish was more of a matte silver and the FX had a bit more shine to it.

A detail which about floored me in the housing was the fact that the FX saber retained the "coiled spring" look inside the emitter.  Kudos to MR for that small sweet detail.

The 6-bubble strip on the FX has much larger bubbles than the SE.  Also a difference in the shape of the piece used to cover the "bent-nail" coming out of the side of the Control Box.

Another nice detail that retains the look of the original replica is the use of a specific speaker grill to match the design seen on the SE.

THE BOX
For those that would like a detailed look at the box the ANH Vader FX came in.  Due to incorrect storage of the box it suffered minor water damage to one end of it.

Left-hand Front and Top of box

Right-hand Front and Top of box

Left-hand Back of box

Center Back of box

Right-hand Back of box

FINAL THOUGHTS
The ANH Vader is the 2nd favorite FX that I own(1st going to the Luke TESB).  This was my 1st saber to have the realistic lighting effect and I couldn't get enough of it.  For those that don't have a Vader saber yet, you must pick one up.  Release the inner-sith that we all have. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 04:47:57 PM by Anakin Skywalker »

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline trexy

• General of the Old Republic
  • Master Force User
  • At last we will have revenge!
Re: Darth Vader ANH Force FX (2003) Review and Pics
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 03:45:12 PM »
Cool review+nice pics(what camera do u use???)

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 03:57:18 PM »
its an old HP photosmart 620 2.1 MP.  Even with its limited functions im able to squeeze some decent pics out of it.  the camera I am looking at gettin is the HP 945, maybe for xmas haha

Offline trexy

• General of the Old Republic
  • Master Force User
  • At last we will have revenge!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 04:00:18 PM »
its an old HP photosmart 620 2.1 MP.  Even with its limited functions im able to squeeze some decent pics out of it.  the camera I am looking at gettin is the HP 945, maybe for xmas haha

ok cool thx 8)

Offline Mr.Griffin

• Master Force User
  • mmmmm... Star Wars
    • Family Guy Stuff
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 04:20:43 PM »
great pictures!
{[][][][]--{}================

(((FORMALLY MR.GRIFFIN)))

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 10:39:21 AM »
Thanks!

I got a new camera now so i'm wondering if I should try some reshoots.  hmmm....

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 02:11:07 PM »
Anakin seems to have always great pics...

Offline Mati

• Force User
  • Sobol rulez:)))
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 10:44:56 AM »
Great review!!!!!

Offline Littlegymm

• Force User
  • Dude....
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 07:35:02 PM »
My buddy has this saber. With the 2 EL's. I'm really thinking about buying them from him.
I also have a discontinued Master Replicas Chuck Norris Cowboy Hat From Walker: Texas Ranger that totally doesn't exist.

Offline Knuckle01

• formerly known as Jedi Master Knuckle
  • Master Force User
  • I am a Jedi, like my father before me...
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 08:40:29 AM »
outstanding review! great pics as well
The Force will be with you....always.

Offline cw

• Force User
  • I see you have constructed a new lightsaber....
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 03:07:10 PM »
Nice review and pics. I think I may get one on e-bay but I was wondering if they are all LED blades
with the power up effect or did MR make EL ones as well?  I think they are all LED but some sellers have
them listed as having EL blades. I think it's a mistake but I was wondering if anyone here new for sure.

Offline skizzoid

• Formerly known as skizzoid
  • Master Force User
  • At last, we shall reveal ourselves to the Jedi...
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 10:02:31 PM »
The Darth Vader ANH FX was only released as an LED blade.  The only EL sabers are the Anakin AOTC and the first run of the Luke ROTJ.
Master Replicas Force FX Collection:
2004 Mace AOTC
2004 Luke ESB (in pieces)
2004 Luke ESB
2005 Luke ROTJ
2005 Mace ROTS

Offline Darthirishman

• Master Force User
  • They used to call me Sifo-Dyas
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006, 10:03:20 PM »
Thanks to this review I am now looking for a Vader ANH saber.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  Then go find the person who has vodka and have a party

Offline cw

• Force User
  • I see you have constructed a new lightsaber....
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 06:32:40 AM »
Thanks Darth, I thought the Anakin AOTH and 2003 Luke ROTJ were the only 2 EL blades.
Just wanted to make sure.

Offline GioFX

• Master Force User
  • so say we all ...
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 07:38:08 AM »
that I call A Review (with uppercase R), thanks Any!

I'm also searching for one of these, unfortunately a lot of ebay people sell to USA or Canada only :-(
Did you notice more/same/less brightness from the Vader ESB?

retrousse