fiduciary

Author Topic: Saber Dueling 101 - With thanks to Nova and Ultra! (VIDEO ADDED)  (Read 3717 times)

Offline Anceem Llevik

• Experienced Force User
Saber Dueling 101 - With thanks to Nova and Ultra! (VIDEO ADDED)
« on: February 18, 2009, 07:52:05 AM »
With a nod to Novastar and Ultrasabers, check out the link below:

http://www.northfieldnews.com/news.php?viewStory=47482

I was inspired by Nova’s video last summer of the demo he did with a pack of Cub Scouts, and thought, “Now that looks like fun!” So in August I called a my friend here in town – a fellow SW geek I’ve known for over a decade – and asked her if she was interested. After a quick “yes”, I emailed the local Community Education programmer and asked her what she thought. She was very excited, and since it was too late for the fall program, we set it up for the winter program. Well, our first class was last Friday, and we have three more coming up in the next several weeks. It was a big hit! We’re using ten Ultrasabers Initiates (3 blue, 2 green, 3 red, 2 orange) for the participants. The reporter who did the story in the link wanted to take the class and do the story, but since it was full we had to over-roster. That meant my son came to be his partner. That’s them in the photo. My son is using his MR Construction Set and the reporter is using a Dominix that belongs to my co-teacher.
We taught them three sets of moves from the NY Jedi archives, as well as a modified version of Novastar’s ten attack zones/parries. At the end of the class we turned the lights off in the gym and everybody went nuts with all the swooshing colors! To cap things off, we gave them a certificate of acceptance into the Jedi Order. It’s proven popular enough that we’ll bring it back either in the summer or fall session. After all, we made the class cheap, and will only break even on the cost of the sabers with this first round of classes!
They were given a sheet with the Ultrasabers website, so Ultra, if you start shipping a large number of Initiates to southern Minnesota, it might not be that awesome new commercial you’re running!
My thanks to Novastar for the inspiration and to Ultrasabers for making a saber that’s just perfect for this sort of thing!

EDIT: Video added from the Feb. 27th class. That's my Padawan in costume roaming about!

« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 07:17:51 PM by Anceem Llevik »

MR Construction Kit, US Dominix, US Initiate, The Persuader by Do-Clo, Graflex

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
Re: Saber Dueling 101 - With thanks to Nova and Ultra!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 10:25:33 AM »
This is an idea that I hope continues to expand throughout the community.
**I AM RETIRED from saber commission building**

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • NCSCS - Sabercombat.com
    • DIAMOND DRAGONS: Humans stand, heroes fall--but DRAGONS are *Forever*...
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 03:36:16 PM »
Awesome, Anceem... :)  This is the idea in terms of giving back to our youth (in terms of sabers and what little some hobbyists may have).

The other thing that many people don't realize (and thus--erroneously label it as "nerd-dom", just like the writer of the article) is that martial art is prevalent in most parts of our culture, life, and entertainment.  Online videos... movies/choreography... exercise/fitness (which is starting to lack in U.S. youth)... dance... and with our gorgeous U.S. olympic  saber-fencing girls sweeping the medals in 2008--is there any reason that using a sword weapon should still be considered "nerdy"?  :P  Especially if we get kids started early, and EXCITED early.  :)

I personally say that these kinds of things can only lead to our future martial artists.  Even Chris DeVera (leader of the LoopKicks team at present) told me that he got re-inspired into martial arts as a child by seeing the "Ninja Turtles" and "Power Rangers".  And no, not by the Shakespearean writing and stories... but by the physical adeptness of the performers (in insane COSTUMES no less!!!)...!!!

So anyhow... the more this kind of thing is done--I can only hope for positive results for the future of our young ones...

You never know.  The 6-year old you teach my targeting system to (or ANY targeting system)... may... grow up to be the next high-level american "Jackie Chan".  You never know.
* Former creator and owner of SaberCombat
* CUSTOM SOUND FONT LIST --->
Click here for Nova's 100+ custom sound fonts!
* PERFORMANCE HIGHLIGHTS ---> Click here for Nova's saber performance work...
* DIAMOND DRAGONS ---> Diamond Dragons: A feature-length screenplay being developed by Matthew 'Novastar' Carauddo

I don't post often on forums anymore.  If you want to e-mail me: novastar1138@gmail.com, or visit me on Facebook:

Click here.

Offline The Highwayman

• Formerly known as Caden
  • Master Force User
  • Political Thread Pioneer #1
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 04:24:13 PM »
Ironically, i have been called fat by people who are twice as big as me. Teens have a very interesting perspective on life. As in I'm perfect and your not. Most of my perfection ramblings are sarcasm, nothing more.

I'm 6'0 and weight roughly 170 lbs. And I have quite a bit o muscle packed on my legs and arms. When i flex, it shows. My arms, as Novastar mentioned about fitness, comes from my saber spinning and what not. my legs come from leaping, running and kick based attacks. This whole saber thing is, as Novastar pointed out, considered geeky and therefore is associated with unhealthy living. But it is good exercise, it gets your heart rate up, and helps with endurance.

Anceem. What can I say to you? That is a very remarkable thing you have done, and i hope will do it more in the future. Teaching those kids a fun way to have a little physical activity in disguise is cool. My generation thanks you. 8) :)

MTFBWY
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 04:26:55 PM by DarthCaden »

"It's obvious that the price of this game cannot be determined by our knowledge of fair market value, but by our skills with a lightsaber." - Obi-wan (Jedimoves)

Offline darthtater

• Sith Spud
  • Force User
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 04:30:11 PM »
Nerdy or not, i think it's awesome. Besides, take a good look at the fat beer gut neanderthal that had to marry his high school sweet heart cuzz he got her pregnant at 16, and say hey pal if your normal  i'm glad i'm a nerd.

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • NCSCS - Sabercombat.com
    • DIAMOND DRAGONS: Humans stand, heroes fall--but DRAGONS are *Forever*...
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 04:45:59 PM »
I'm 6'0 and weight roughly 170 lbs. And I have quite a bit o muscle packed on my legs and arms. When i flex, it shows. My arms, as Novastar mentioned about fitness, comes from my saber spinning and what not. my legs come from leaping, running and kick based attacks...
Actor/performer Sammo Hung is famous for being both "stocky and big"... yet agile and acrobatic.  For those who don't know who I mean--you'd recognize him if you saw him... alongside Jackie Chan in some of their older films, like Dragons Forever and Wheels on Meals.  Samo kicked some SERIOUS arse, and he was FFFFFFFFUUUUNNNNNYYY too!!  :)

Additionally, I could at least point out that... recently @ Loopkicks (before he moved to L.A.), there was a guy named Pete there.  He was a big guy, but... was learning stuff like Corkscrew and cheat 720 and all that... so... make no mistake, with the right training--SIZE MATTERS NOT.  Small OR large.  :)

What matters is... do you get off your butt and GET THE TRAINING in... or not.  That's all.  And if we get the kids excited early... hopefully they'll stick with it.  You know... keep active for LIFE.  :)
* Former creator and owner of SaberCombat
* CUSTOM SOUND FONT LIST --->
Click here for Nova's 100+ custom sound fonts!
* PERFORMANCE HIGHLIGHTS ---> Click here for Nova's saber performance work...
* DIAMOND DRAGONS ---> Diamond Dragons: A feature-length screenplay being developed by Matthew 'Novastar' Carauddo

I don't post often on forums anymore.  If you want to e-mail me: novastar1138@gmail.com, or visit me on Facebook:

Click here.

Offline Anceem Llevik

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 06:32:25 PM »
I don't think alot of people realize how much WORK it is doing this sort of thing. I forgot to mention that my co-teacher and I did a two-minute routine (not that well, I might add!) set to a shortened version of Anakin vs. Obi-Wan. We practiced it on four different days leading up to our class, and we could do it about four times before we were completely spent! We've joked about having an adult Lightsaber Aerobics class in the future, but hey, it might not be a joke after all.  If this continues to grow, maybe we'll be doing Birthday parties by summer, unless Nova's copyrighted that concept already!  ;D

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
  • A Knight of the Old Republic
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 11:21:40 PM »
Nerdy or not, i think it's awesome. Besides, take a good look at the fat beer gut neanderthal that had to marry his high school sweet heart cuzz he got her pregnant at 16, and say hey pal if your normal  i'm glad i'm a nerd.

Amen.

I've always said that football is the perfect sport for Americans because:
1. you don't have to move a lot
2. you don't have to be fit (especially linesmen)
3. you don't have to be coordinated
4. you don't have to have stamina
5. you don't have to be quick (both definitions  ;))

That said, saber fighting is a workout. You can't do it seriously without breaking a sweat. You work your arms, your legs, your lungs...and you need coordination. I play soccer (the real football) and hockey, and duelling still taxes my stamina.

Offline Bin Adam

• Master Force User
  • Muslim Knights: Fighting the Terror Within
    • For Those Who Reflect
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 08:33:52 AM »
Peace be upon all,

That rocks Anceem and I wish you and your partner the best!

I too love the "Novastar 10" and always practice it with my daughter and demo it to others when I have the chance. Just thinking about Novastar makes me get up off my fat butt and swing up a sweat!  :D

Keep on spreading a little light in the world!  ;)
-Bin Adam
The battle outside, starts inside.
"Don't desire to meet your enemy, but if you do be steadfast."

Offline Anceem Llevik

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 03:17:08 PM »
Two videos added to the first post!

Offline Silkvein

• Junkyard Sabersmith
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 06:03:08 PM »
Anceem,
Let me know when you are doing this again.  My schedule is tight, but I would love to help out and get involved if at all possible.  I'm just 5min north of st. paul
Shoot me a pm or seven...or two...you know... one should suffice for the time being.  lol.  Don't mind me.  I'm in a quirky mood.

Peace,
Silkvein

Offline secretApprentice

• Force User
  • guns and (or) Sabers..
Re: Saber Dueling 101 - With thanks to Nova and Ultra! (VIDEO ADDED)
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 02:57:48 PM »
kewl.. ;D ;D
"i'm here to rescue you.. and i'm not too short for a stormtrooper.."

collecting enough money for a new Hasbro ROTS Obi or a MR ROTJ Luke.. or whatever worth buying on a limited budget.. Xp

retrousse