fiduciary

Author Topic: Graflex 2.0 saber run- July 7 update last page  (Read 199085 times)

Offline korbanth

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
Graflex 2.0 saber run- July 7 update last page
« on: June 19, 2015, 09:40:55 AM »
Hello Saber fans - Today is the day, I can start taking orders for the new TFA 2 pack duo of sabers - These two models will deliver in October 2015
and consist of two models -

1 - Graflex 2.0 saber (I'll explain what 2.0 means)
2 - Crossguard saber - allows for 3 blades

I will be using a partner to get these units created over in China in large quantities, but as with most orders, I need a minimum amount of people to buy into these projects because of the cost involved. I sometimes have taken longer than I promised, but always come through...but that's how manufacturing works, sometime delays happen...but the next 4 months, the shop has nothing on their plate...we can make this happen.

Details - Graflex 2.0 - this unit will have 7/8 inch blade opening, and will be brushed aluminum, and will come with parts that allow you to make 3 versions of this unit - you can make TFA, or ANH, or ESB - you'd get the correct parts that allow you to make which ever version you want, this saber has been retooled and improved in quality in many areas to go beyond the look of a graflex flash handle - it is made for displaying, and for adding electronics to make it a working saber.  when you see the photo shown below, it comes with what you see.

a lot of people will want to buy more than 1 of these..some will buy 3 so they can make 1 of each version, and that is ok. target goal is 75 purchased to be able to do this run of this unit, once I have 75 paid Graflex 2.0 orders, that is the point of no return meaning, the shop goes forward and will not stop until the whole order is made...  pics below:

Details - Crossguard - this aluminum saber has the ability to hold a 7/8 blade (main) and two shorter blades that come out near the base, resembling an upside broadsword with a "crossguard" style handle.  It will resemble the model it is intended to look like, and will come apart for easy installation of electronics, and sound boards..it will be accurate... The CAD renders are what the machine shop will be getting along with all measurements, threaded body and some set screws.  I know that other makers are offering one similar, but they don't seem to be as accurate as these will be,  I know people will love these...making 75 units for saber fans

Pricing:

$195 for New Graflex 2.0 saber new version 
$280 for Crossguard saber  (these contain more parts than duke) complicated build

do we have people interested in getting these saber hilts into their collections...let me know, now taking paypal payments

BEST way to do this run is for me to build up first the list of people who would commit to either or both, and if you want more than 1...then once we have a strong list, (which I can post here so we all see how its building) - then I would start to take payments once we have enough...people to make the run work -  Questions?  post them

Korbanth

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 07:35:02 AM by korbanth »

Offline korbanth

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
Re: New EP7 saber run - Graflex 2.0 and Crossguard now taking orders
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 09:58:48 AM »
just a few answers because these will get asked:

I tried to offer the graflex 2.0 at a lower price, but I spoke too soon, before I knew the cost to get these created, so I cant honor what I was hoping to offer them for, this is still a deal price. 

Everyone knows what the ANH/ESB Graflex unit looks like, and the TFA version is a cross between the two, and this Graflex 2.0 kit will provide enough parts that you can build any of the 3 you wish, and can add electronics

I have to get a large commitment from this saber community to make this happen, no one else will be doing these in these kinds of numbers, it will take a community effort to get this going, but based on all the people saying "I'll take this and I'll take that"  - if everyone does what they are claiming, it will be easy to get these made

What happened to the DV6 unit?  I will start a run in Oct/Nov for it along with the Hero version of the LS6  (the one with the red/green arrow LEDS) version...and offer those two EP6 units at that time..I wanted to focus on EP7 stuff first.

LIST of Buyers who've reserved their slots - no payment needed yet, lets see if we get enough interest to make it happen

List so far - see PAGE 8

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 07:22:15 AM by korbanth »

Offline Korrick Rendar

• Force User
Re: New EP7 saber run - Graflex 2.0 and Crossguard now accepting orders
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 10:13:15 AM »
I'm in for 1 crossguard for sure.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 06:31:28 PM by Korrick Rendar »

Offline NateWitt1

• Force User
  • Yeah, that's right Princess!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 10:20:34 AM »
I would like one graflex 2.0 please!

Offline Zelazny

• Force User
  • Working on it
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 10:44:20 AM »
Ok some quick questions that I know everyone will ask...

1)  The graflex appears to be coming with a working red switch.  Please confirm.

2)  Will the crossguard have any cast parts like you did with the DM1 from your last run?  Which parts?

3)  You said the crossguard will have more parts than the duke... can we get an exploded breakdown of the crossguard (like the graflex) so we can start planning the build? 

4)  In the cad drawings of the crossguard, there doesn't seem to be the slash / internal reveal that was so prominent in the model at the Celebration.  Are there plans to include that feature? 

5) Will there be switches included with the crossguard? Where will they go?

6) And most importantly, what are the IDs of the hilts?  I'm especially concerned with working space in the crossguard.  I'm already considering things that need more space like extra batteries, space for a larger board than just the nano, and if you're not doing the reveal, then consideration for at least making the reveal ourselves.

7) How much will the deposits be?

8) When do you want the deposits?

I bought your last trio and I must say that I was very pleased with both the products as well as how you handled yourself during a difficult run. You have my support and more importantly, my money.  I would like both a crossguard and a graflex 2.0
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 10:50:31 AM by Zelazny »

Offline Drunkenmunkey

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 10:48:29 AM »
I'm interested in a crossguard saber.  This is my first time doing this so I have no clue where to go :P. How do we get installs done?

Offline arcana

• Experienced Force User
    • Light Saber Archives
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 10:52:29 AM »
The renders do not look like they include the damaged or cut out area towards the emitter section.  Am I seeing that correctly?  Thanks for putting this together.
“In my experience, there's no such thing as luck.”

Offline Zelazny

• Force User
  • Working on it
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 10:52:52 AM »
Oh and thank-you for this run Korbanth, we've all been waiting for these!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 10:55:45 AM by Zelazny »

Offline DarkJediKnight

• Master Force User
  • InUmbrisPotestasEst--In the shadows there is power
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 11:15:49 AM »
I'm tempted with the Graflex 2.0 since it comes as a kit to make all 3 possible sabers. Even though I have an ESB and a "Hybrid" Graflex type like what's in Ep 7 this kit is looking pretty good! Even just to display with no electronics. I have to think about this one!  :D
MR Darth Vader ESB(stock)
MR Darth Vader ESB(converted PC2)                                  
MR Anakin AOTC "Darkside version"(converted CF5)
Yoda Replica Graflex V(CF4)
MR Anakin AOTC(converted PC3)
Hasbro Anakin ROTS(converted PC2)
Parks Replica Graflex ESB/TFA w/glass eye(CF5)

Offline 97th Acolyte

• Master Force User
  • [insert witty comment here]
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 11:32:47 AM »
Is the Crossguard cast or machined?

I'm interested in a crossguard saber.  This is my first time doing this so I have no clue where to go :P. How do we get installs done?

Either DIY, or get in touch with any Mining colony member (The Mining Colony) here on the forum. :)
Proud owner of:       JSK1 - Jaina Solo Kotobukiya lightsaber - created by Bombarta
Harp's Starkiller/Kylo Ren fusion - Prizm                      
Deadpool's Deathstick - CS2.5 Reveal, JQsabers               
JK-Sabers Battle damaged/Reveal Maul - Empty             
US Raven
Korbanth:
 Darth Maul - Empty
 Duke - NBv2, JQSabers
 Qui Gon - NBv2, MasterSabers

Offline NeptuneTQ

• Force User
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 12:41:06 PM »
I'm in for one of each.

2 questions: Is the cross guard threaded parts or set screws like the duke?
And how much of a deposit do you need?
WTB: Legacy: Killer Penny Tribute

Offline Drunkenmunkey

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 01:16:07 PM »
Is the Crossguard cast or machined?

Either DIY, or get in touch with any Mining colony member (The Mining Colony) here on the forum. :)

Thanks!

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
  • Owl Thread Survivor #19
    • The Star Wars Custom Miniature Database
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 01:55:32 PM »
The renders do not look like they include the damaged or cut out area towards the emitter section.  Am I seeing that correctly?  Thanks for putting this together.

He's already said they left that out for copyright reasons.

Offline korbanth

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 03:06:26 PM »
1)  The graflex appears to be coming with a working red switch.  Please confirm. - Yes, the graflexes will come with a working on/off red button..I first thought that it wouldn't but I confirmed it.

2)  Will the crossguard have any cast parts like you did with the DM1 from your last run?  Which parts? - I got more information, and some of the Crossguard will be cast and some will be machined. I realized the Maul Radiators looked less than spectacular, and I'll get back to people once I know how we can make sure the quality of a cast part is better.  most of the duke and sids were cast and you CAN get quality of it, so it is not a bad thing, but steps need to be taken to insure it doesn't look like garbage...also, die cast is a process that allows for this unit to be made at an affordable cost..yes, $280 is expensive, but it is better than the alternative of $425 that the price was for a total 100% machined hilt with all its parts...so I will make sure these will look authentic, with an optional aging process that makes it look old, ancient and rusted, if people want that..and even a polishing option for those who want to keep it shiney and new.

3)  You said the crossguard will have more parts than the duke... can we get an exploded breakdown of the crossguard (like the graflex) so we can start planning the build?  - from what I was told, it has much more "tooling" on this than the duke did. The Duke was able to be cast 2/3 as one piece,  the new pics I posted show more detail...but price is determined by how detailed it is, and this will have more parts. It doesn't look like it, but according to the way its engineered, it will be more complicated, but doable.

4)  In the cad drawings of the crossguard, there doesn't seem to be the slash / internal reveal that was so prominent in the model at the Celebration.  Are there plans to include that feature?   yes, I felt that if I put the slash in there, I am making it too close to a version that might get me into imperial entanglements, so I am leaving it out... I don't want to, but I agree with others council on this decision.

5) Will there be switches included with the crossguard? Where will they go?  not sure, that might be up to the person installing the electronics

6) And most importantly, what are the IDs of the hilts?  I'm especially concerned with working space in the crossguard.  I'm already considering things that need more space like extra batteries, space for a larger board than just the nano, and if you're not doing the reveal, then consideration for at least making the reveal ourselves.  - Cross guard is designed around 7/8 ID, just like all the others.  Graflex is the same, from the inner blade bracket up.  Graflex grip had a 1-5/16 ID

7) How much will the deposits be? - When I can get 40-50 people signed up, I'll begin to take money, the ONLY way, and I mean only way, I can make this happen is people need to pay for their unit in full...a deposit wont help me...as in the last two years worth of runs, I collect your funds, I pay it to whom is organizing this, it goes to China, they only start once we have a certain amount, and I have to keep paying for it until the run is done...sometimes I can contribute some of my money as I did last few runs, and recoup later by selling the extras.  I've established my honesty so new saber buyers can ask others that I will deliver even if its a few months over due, but only by collecting the funds, can this happen...were dealing with a pretty substantial amount of money, and I aint no RICH boy.

8) When do you want the deposits? -  I will start a list on - and if we get 40-50 people who wont back out, I'll start the payment via paypal... I could take payments now, but what would happen if only 25 people sign up, then I gotta refund everyone, and I like you would rather see this go through than not, so also China wont start until I've provided close to a $12,000 deposit crossguard and an $8000 deposit for Graflexes...so ALL funds being sent to me go right to paying to get these made.

Made some corrections to the above, after getting more clarification -
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 07:33:15 PM by korbanth »

Offline korbanth

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 03:19:53 PM »
More on what it means, Graflex 2.0 -

Graflex (Ver 2.0) is designed to be a saber system instead of a camera attachment.

She will feature the following:

- Exact copy of the Graflex Top Body.

- Exact copy of the Graflex Clamp (Less embossed GRAFLEX logo).

- Machined & threaded bottom grip body.

- Machined & threaded end cap with sound holes.

- Includes both ANH & ESB injection molded plastic grips.

- Includes both ANH & ESB clamp bubbles and circuit card.

- Graflex Button with circuit board and momentary switch.

- ESB Graflex blade tension knob with 2nd circuit board and momentary switch.

- ANH / TFA Graflex blade tension knob.

- 7/8" blade bracket machined and anodized to look like ROTJ grip body.

- Assembly time less than 10 min.

In summary, Graflex (Ver. 2.0) is designed to be the ultimate Graflex conversion.

Price for the new Graflex Kit is $195.00

Delivery is expected in October, right before EP7.

more pictures - more recent

retrousse