fiduciary

Author Topic: New TeensySaber V3 build w/ProffieOS 2.6/2.7 minor issues...  (Read 3105 times)

Offline Obi-Ken Wanobi

• No Force
  • Help me Obi-Ken... you're my only hope.
New TeensySaber V3 build w/ProffieOS 2.6/2.7 minor issues...
« on: October 03, 2019, 05:42:39 PM »
It's been a while since I've been building sabers.  A while back I built a TeensySaber v1 and a TeensySaber V2+ (plus because I used a Teensy 3.5 instead of a 3.2).  They've been working great for me but I thought it was time to build the v3 hardware I purchased sometime ago (Teensysaber v3 boards and Teensy 3.2s).  I'm all built and everything came out great but I'm having 2 minor issues.  I'm using ProffieOS 2.7 now (although the issues also existed in 2.6).  I'm using the default smoothswing saberfonts provided on your ProffieOS_SD_Card download. 

My first issue is that during swinging motions every once and a while I get a crackle or pop of static.  I thought this was a bad connection or wiring issue but it is not related to any connection or the wiring.  If I set up a music track as the "boot" sound there is not static no matter how I move or bang the saber.  This appears to be coming from the audio mixing or swing sound generation itself.  Any ideas?

My second issue is related to blade clash animations/flashes.  Every once and a while the clash sound will play when I hit the blade or bang the hilt but the animation/flash won't.  Because the clash sound plays this can't be a sensitivity setting since the code is definitely picking up the impact.  Any ideas on this?

I also had a similar issue to what I ran into a long time ago on my v1 build.  There were random pixels on the blade flickering in rainbow colors.  This occurred pretty bad when the code was compiled at 72 Mhz CPU speed.  When I compiled at 96 Mhz overclocked CPU speed the issue is almost gone and at 120 Mhz overclocked CPU speed the issue doesn't happen at all.  Anything bad about running overclocked to 120 Mhz?

Thanks in advance for your response and all the great work you've done on the Teensysaber and ProffieOS projects!

btw... here's a picture of my latest hilt design... all 3D printed parts I designed in Fusion 360 and a 12" chrome/brass drain pipe extension I picked up at Home Depot.  :grin:

Offline profezzorn

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
Re: New TeensySaber V3 build w/ProffieOS 2.6/2.7 minor issues...
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 07:56:34 PM »
When you sent up a music track as "boot", it's only going to be playing that one sound, which is easy. When playing a smoothswing font, the saber has to play 3-5 sounds at the same time, which is much harder. However, that may or may not be what is causing the crackling.
First thing to do is to hook up the serial monitor and see if you see "audio underflow" messages show up when the crackling occurs. If that happens, try a different SD card to see if that helps.
If it's not audio buffer underflows, it could be something in the smoothswing algorithm itself which is causing some volume control to go up/down really fast, which would also sounds like crackling.

The animation stuff is weirder though. Is your blade solid or animated?  I'm just wondering if maybe the connection to the blade gives up sometimes, but it's not very noticable because the blade is mostly a solid color?
Maybe try it with the rainbow blade and see if it's just missing clashes, or maybe the whole blade is freezing up?

Running at 120Mhz should be fine, but check for heat. If the chip gets too hot it could cause problems.

Offline Obi-Ken Wanobi

• No Force
  • Help me Obi-Ken... you're my only hope.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 04:34:54 PM »
Thanks for the feedback and troubleshooting ideas.  I picked up a new SanDisk Ultra Plus micro-SD card and all my problems are corrected.  That was easy.  I was using a Microcenter store brand Class 10 micro-SD card.  Obviously not all cards are created equal.  By the way... the animation problems were corrected as well.  No more missing blade clash animations.

Thanks for your help. 

Offline profezzorn

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 07:16:16 PM »
Thanks for the feedback and troubleshooting ideas.  I picked up a new SanDisk Ultra Plus micro-SD card and all my problems are corrected.  That was easy.  I was using a Microcenter store brand Class 10 micro-SD card.  Obviously not all cards are created equal.  By the way... the animation problems were corrected as well.  No more missing blade clash animations.

Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, even brand name cards that have been tested lots of times sometimes behave badly, so it's *always* a good idea to try a different SD card.

retrousse