fiduciary

Author Topic: DIY Graflex with Yoda's "KIT"  (Read 31145 times)

Offline MoonDragn

• Force User
Re: DIY Graflex with Yoda's "KIT"
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2008, 08:01:49 AM »
Well I thought clear acrylic would add a nice look to the chassis. But I'll have to see how they look once I drill holes in them.

Its not gonna be anywhere close to Yoda's work but it'll be mine.

Maybe when yoda finally starts selling his chassis I may consider one. Though I already brought alot of disks and screw posts and they weren't cheap.

Offline Keiran Halcyon

• Force User
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2008, 12:29:54 PM »
i plan on get one of Yoda's chassis but i think it would be fun to make it myself

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2008, 10:00:55 AM »
Well I have a little update and review coming from my old graflex build thread.  I just got a call from my wife and I have a certain package she just picked up at the PO that came from Dagobah.

Yes I could not resist.  When I saw Yoda's updated version of his crystal core I thought it was time for an upgrade.  Plus the fact that it had a DOA US 1.0 that has been sitting in there since last winter.  Thanks to several members here that bought my parts to help fund my upgrade.  With money a bit tight it would not have been possible without the sales of my leftover graflex chassis parts.

So my graflex is now a CF 3.0 with Lux V blue in my vintage ESB Graflex.  Of course it also has Yoda's new crystal chamber with flashing leds.  I also had Yoda go the extra mile and he managed to make my glass eye the aux button. I always liked the glass eye over having 2 red buttons and since the bespin hand cutoff scene has the glass eye I am going with that look.  Hey it's cannon.  I also go this cool emitter plug as well.

I don't get home for 5 more days so you will all have to agonize with me over the long wait but get ready for my review next week.

Until then I will leave you with a teaser pic Mike sent me after my saber was done.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 04:38:52 PM by DARTH TYRANUS »

Offline Anceem Llevik

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2008, 11:38:07 AM »
Who's killing who with the photos now?!  :o  Five days for a full review? C'mon man! Congrats, though, that is one SWEET crystal chamber.

MR Construction Kit, US Dominix, US Initiate, The Persuader by Do-Clo, Graflex

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2008, 11:47:23 AM »
Dude trust me on this.  I have been without a saber since last winter when my US died.  I now have to get through this week knowing that I have the best saber out there sitting in an unopened box at my house.  This week is going to go by so slow. 

Offline Jedi-Diah

• Force User
« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2008, 12:28:26 PM »
How did he make the glass eye the aux button? Is the screw above the glass eye the blade retaining screw?

That one pic looks so awesome. I really want to make one myself but every time I see Yoda's work it makes me want to just give up and get his kit.

Maybe I'll do both! It gives me something to do while I wait for his kit and I could have two different setups. Ultrasound on mine and future CF on the Yoda kit... Of coures mine will probably become obsolete once I get Yoda's but...

Man, you're like a kid waiting for Christmas to come. You're going to be so stoked with that Crystal Focus sound and motion sensitivity. I'm waiting for CF 4.1.

Well I have a little update and review coming from my old graflex build thread.  I just got a call from my wife and I have a certain package she just picked up at the PO that came from Dagobah.

Yes I could not resist.  When I saw Yoda's updated version of his crystal core I thought it was time for an upgrade.  Plus the fact that it had a DOA US 1.0 that has been sitting in there since last winter.  Thanks to several members here that bought my parts to help fund my upgrade.  With money a bit tight it would not have been possible without the sales of my leftover graflex chassis parts.

So my graflex is now a CF 3.0 with Lux V blue in my vintage ESB Graflex.  Of course it also has Yoda's new crystal chamber with flashing leds.  I also had Yoda go the extra mile and he managed to make my glass eye the aux button. I always liked the glass eye over having 2 red buttons and since the bespin hand cutoff scene has the glass eye I am going with that look.  Hey it's cannon.  I also go this cool emitter plug as well.

I don't get home for 5 more days so you will all have to agonize with me over the long wait but get ready for my review next week.

Until then I will leave you with a teaser pic Mike sent me after my saber was done.

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2008, 12:47:37 PM »
Jedi-diah you have no idea.  That pic is junk compared to the other ones he sent.  I can blow them up so clearly I can see the wires and gold pins clearly.  This saber rocks!!!!

For the glass eye I know he grinds down the glass to size.  I believe he somehow uses it as the plunger with maybe a rubber bumper on the bottom to hit the real switch. 

Offline Jedi-Diah

• Force User
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2008, 01:12:34 PM »
So the glass must be spring loaded somehow - but there is hardly any room under it for a spring.

Jedi-diah you have no idea.  That pic is junk compared to the other ones he sent.  I can blow them up so clearly I can see the wires and gold pins clearly.  This saber rocks!!!!

For the glass eye I know he grinds down the glass to size.  I believe he somehow uses it as the plunger with maybe a rubber bumper on the bottom to hit the real switch. 

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2008, 01:17:44 PM »
Yeah not sure exactly how but I do know the switches he uses have about 1/64" plunger depth.  You can barely feel the switch even move it is so tight.  It is a great setup.  The best IMO.

Offline KI-ADI-MUNDI

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • "TRUST THE PROCESS"
« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2008, 01:35:47 PM »
ooooh....man that is sweeet....I don't have an ESB yet....uh..I might have to get in line again...... 8)

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act"

Offline H@rry89

• Experienced Force User
  • Who's More Foolish...
« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2008, 08:32:25 PM »

Ohhhhh WoW!!! Luke!

I'm veeeery tempted to send my graflex back to Yoda and get this done to mine...

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2008, 08:50:34 PM »
I'm too lazy to post more pics and make them clickable but man you would go nuts if you saw the detail in the crystal chamber.  IMO if you have the money and love this saber it is worth the upgrade.  There are a few guys here building graflex now and looking for the chassis. I sold mine to fund this upgrade project.  FYI  ;)

Offline Baena

• Padawan Learner
    • My illustration blog
« Reply #102 on: October 27, 2008, 12:27:15 PM »
That new chassis is outstanding!  :o
Congrats Luke!
I've yet to get my chassis... I've gotta find out how much this one will set me back!  :D
I quite like the look of the raw crystal in there... Brilliant!

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #103 on: October 27, 2008, 08:50:49 PM »
Good to see you back Baena, it's been a while.  My full review will be up in a day or two.  I haven't even seen it yet.  I get home tomorrow though.

Offline Baena

• Padawan Learner
    • My illustration blog
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2008, 10:17:07 AM »
Thanks Luke, I do stop in more regularly than I post.  :D
I can't stop staring at that new chassis!
I see good use of old graflex parts that get replaced by the adapter!  ;)  Brilliant!

I can't wait for your write up!  ;D

retrousse