fiduciary

Author Topic: Obi ROTS WIP...crystal chamber added on page 3  (Read 22719 times)

Offline CHEWBACCA

• JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
Obi ROTS WIP...crystal chamber added on page 3
« on: May 02, 2014, 07:08:36 AM »
A recent post with someone looking for an OBI ROTS got me to pick up an old project I started a while back and consider finishing it up.

Instead though I dug through my parts bin and found an old grenade and neck section I bought about 5 years ago.  At the time I didn't have machines and wasn't sure how I was going to make an Obi saber from just those parts.  I am not sure who made them...I was told RussRep but I thought all his old ones were steel.  It is definitely not parks though because it has thinner cubes on it (much better suited for the ROTS) and all the threading is totally different.

So I started looking at what I could do.  I had already bought a large chunk of brass for the neck ring a while back for the last Obi ROTS I was planning.  I have the copper for the upper neck as well.

Here is what I have done so far.

- turned down the last segment on the grenade section toward the emitter and re-shaped it (ROTS has much more of an angle).
- thinned the brass neck
- turned down and threaded the last section of the grenade toward the pommel end
- threaded the last section toward the pommel end.
- made and threaded a section to go under the TCSS box
- machined the next to last segment of the grenade section to match up with the threaded section I made (both end segments are thinner than the middle segments on the original prop).

My next step is to make a correct gear section.  The ANH has 18 grooves but the ROTS has 12 and are shaped differently so I have to make it from scratch.  I will thread it to go into the center section I made.

For the pommel I will use a modified TCSS pommel because they work great and look good for an ROTS saber. 

After the body is done I will work on the neck section.

Anyway here are progress pics (click to enlarge)...

Yes in order to angle the top segment correctly I had to machine into the brass part.  Once I powder coat it black you will never know (the ROTS has black up to the neck)...

Questions or comments welcome...

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 08:35:43 PM by CHEWBACCA »

Offline Wildcard

• Master Force User
  • This is an ex-parrot.
Re: Obi ROTS WIP
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 08:38:12 AM »
Looking beautiful so far Chewy, and I can't wait to see updates as it progresses! Much love for the OBI III's!

Offline Modern-Day Warrior

• Force User
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 09:32:48 AM »
The Obi ROTS is hands-down my absolute favorite hilt. So slim and elegant. An accurate and functional Obi ROTS is my questing beast. Looking good so far, Chewie! Can't wait to see this beauty completed! Just to throw it out there though, the ROTS' "grenade" section has 6 lateral grooves as apposed to the ANH's 8.

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 09:43:23 AM »
The Obi ROTS is hands-down my absolute favorite hilt. So slim and elegant. An accurate and functional Obi ROTS is my questing beast. Looking good so far, Chewie! Can't wait to see this beauty completed! Just to throw it out there though, the ROTS' "grenade" section has 6 lateral grooves as apposed to the ANH's 8.

Thanks,  yeah I know about the grooves but am kind of stuck with what I have since I don't have the machines to do the grooves correctly.   It will not be an exact replica but should be a nice representation and pretty close.

Offline Justintmars

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • There is some peace?
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 11:51:38 AM »
Stop it Chewie!
I want this already and can't afford it lol!

Great work so far

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 08:04:30 PM »
LOL thanks.

I didn't get to do as much today as I wanted because of my pesky day job but I did get the back of the middle section threaded and the gear section turned down and threaded.

I left it long for now because I do not now how deep I will cut the back threading until I get the TCSS pommel.

I hope to get it on the mill tomorrow to cut the grooves.

Here are the pics...

Offline Simpi-Gon Sims

• "I'll bring the popcorn"
  • Master Force User
    • Simpi Sabers
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 04:13:15 AM »

Watch this closely, I will  :)) :D

Keep up the awesome work, CHEWBACCA!!
"It's not broken, it's a feature."

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 07:12:18 PM »
Well it turns out I do not have the tooling I need for the gear section so I will have to order that Monday.  I wanted to do something on it though so decided to start on the neck section.  I decided to try and preserve as much of the neck as possible and connect onto it from there.  If it doesn't look right I will either cut it off at the ring and the bottom and just build a neck to connect the two.  I think it will be fine though.

I took pics of it while on the machine because I do not want to take it off since I still have more cutting to do.  I cant do anymore cutting though until I figure out what size thread I will be using. 

Anyway enough typing...here are some pics.

In this last pic I just stuck it in front of the piece kind of where it will be...

I am pretty happy with it so far.

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 08:05:21 PM »
OK the bell part of the ring was kind of bothering me because it just looked too straight and the inside groove wasn't rounded enough.  I decided to reshape it some and I am much more pleased with it now.

I will get pics of that tomorrow though (battery charging on the camera).

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 11:28:31 AM »
OK here are the new pics of the neck ring.  I am much more happy with it now.  I just need to get a tap for the other part of the neck so I can tap that and then thread the new neck piece so I can get it off my machine and make the copper part.  I will probably do that tomorrow.

Offline RyDiddy

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 11:38:30 AM »
The details on the neck are looking good, MH!

Offline merCUrium

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 10:40:26 PM »
Nice machining so far. I always like to see a saber slowly come to life, especially with machining and workbench pics.

Thank you for sharing this!

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 05:19:45 PM »

OK let me first say I am really, REALLY proud of this neck piece.  I am not sure exactly why because it wasn't that difficult but I don't know...I am just really happy with it lol.

I threaded it, cut it off and threaded the other end, then threaded the existing neck.  I hope to start on the copper part tomorrow but we will see.

I think the ring part is about right but it may need to be a little thinner (length wise not width).  I am going to wait until I have the copper neck and the emitter on before I make that call though.  I can take off more but cant put it back lol.

anyway here are the newest pics...

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 05:33:54 PM »
this is looking awesome i dont think thers been a correct obi rots done yet

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6