fiduciary

Author Topic: K3GR1 WIP  (Read 14493 times)

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
Re: K3GR1 WIP
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 11:34:25 AM »
This makes me wish my old K3GR1 "Advent" so much.

It had an overhaul done on it a while back  ;)
Support our Font Makers!

Offline CHEWBACCA

• JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 06:40:31 PM »
More wiring pics...click to enlarge

Here you can see the CEx outside of the hilt wired up.  I took a plastic tube (same one used in the OM obi) and cut it to fit the inside of the neck piece to protect the CEx.

Then I pulled the Green and Blue (channel 1 and 2 of the CEx) wires up through the heatsink as I pushed the CEx up into the neck and cut and soldered the wires to the LED.  I did this to keep the excess wire down.

Here you can see the CEx in the neck area.

Lastly here are all the parts in the forward piece (switches and recharge port).  I had trouble with the small gauge wire breaking at the terminal when screwing the switches in so I decided to secure them with hot glue.  This is not something I normally have to do but with the tight spaces and the way the switches are I felt this was the best way to make sure the wires stayed secure during the install.  It also keeps them insulated (one switch is close to the recharge port...not touching but close enough that the glue is nice to have as an insulator).

The neck ring and thumbscrew are in the paint stripper.  Tomorrow I will re powder them and put the saber together completely and post completed pics and a video.

Also I didn't address the carbon fiber stuff.  Basically I didn't like how the heatshrink looked on the batteries under the board so I decided to dress it up with the carbon fiber sticker stuff I had.  The batteries still have their individual heat shrink and the PCB also has its own heatshrink to protect it.

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 06:52:16 PM »
awesome wiring as usual man! 
Support our Font Makers!

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 04:53:51 PM »
Its pretty much finished now.  I just have to make a way for you to pull the speaker out to get to the SD card.  Unfortunately because of the lack of room you have to pull the chassis back in order to get to the R.I.C.E. port but its not a big deal.  Just undo the 4 locking set screws to pull it back and the port is there.

Here are some pics of the finished saber.  As usual click to enlarge.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:59:29 PM by MH »

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
  • IAC - Elegant designs with a more civilized edge
    • IndustrialAction Customs
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 05:00:38 PM »
Gorgeous work! ;D

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 10:45:28 PM »
1. Stock K3GR1.  2. Excellence in execution.   1 + 2 = WIN ;D

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
    • Scott and Tem Photography
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 07:53:10 AM »
1. Stock K3GR1.  2. Excellence in execution.   1 + 2 = WIN ;D

Qft!

Awesome work!!!

Hasbro Darth Vader Removable Blade
OR Qui Gon CFLS w/Makoto Green
MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka
Real Parts Obi Wan ANH (90%)

Offline Jordan Dau

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 07:47:19 PM »
How well does that sticky backed carbon fiber work on curves? We have a ton of "scrap" at work and I've been meaning to put it on a saber, but was a little worried it might not like staying on a curved surface very long.

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2013, 11:15:05 AM »
Update on the saber.  It is now finally finished.  I had some extremely strong mini magnets that my wife uses to hold pacifiers in the mouth of the baby dolls she makes.  These magnets proved strong enough to hold the speaker in yet allow you to pull it out with a pull tab attached so you can get to the SD card.  I will do some "tree hitting" (don't trust dueling with the kids because they might hit the shroud extension and bend it) to see if it will hold up to the banging but early tests seem to say it will be fine.

How well does that sticky backed carbon fiber work on curves? We have a ton of "scrap" at work and I've been meaning to put it on a saber, but was a little worried it might not like staying on a curved surface very long.
Well the stuff I have is not real CF.  Its a sticker for auto trim I believe.  It is the most real looking CF sticker material I have ever found though and pulls off the illusion well.  Since its basically just a sticker though it does well on the rounded parts (its not very thick or stiff).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 11:25:16 AM by MH »

Offline jedicri

• Master Force User
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 11:53:55 AM »
Very nice!

Most impressed with the neatness of your wiring --- very clean.

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
    • Scott and Tem Photography
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2013, 12:22:11 PM »
Update on the saber.  It is now finally finished.  I had some extremely strong mini magnets that my wife uses to hold pacifiers in the mouth of the baby dolls she makes.  These magnets proved strong enough to hold the speaker in yet allow you to pull it out with a pull tab attached so you can get to the SD card.  I will do some "tree hitting" (don't trust dueling with the kids because they might hit the shroud extension and bend it) to see if it will hold up to the banging but early tests seem to say it will be fine.

Well the stuff I have is not real CF.  Its a sticker for auto trim I believe.  It is the most real looking CF sticker material I have ever found though and pulls off the illusion well.  Since its basically just a sticker though it does well on the rounded parts (its not very thick or stiff).

these magnets you speak of... where might one find them?

Hasbro Darth Vader Removable Blade
OR Qui Gon CFLS w/Makoto Green
MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka
Real Parts Obi Wan ANH (90%)

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2013, 02:50:05 PM »
Very nice!

Most impressed with the neatness of your wiring --- very clean.

Thanks all my saber internals look like that.  I try to keep it as neat on the inside as possible from nice/proper solder joints to planned and properly run wires.  I am pretty picky about it lol.

these magnets you speak of... where might one find them?

I get them from hobby lobby for her.  Man they have gone up though.  Below is the link and it shows them at $4.99 for 6 but the package I have (probably 2 years old) says 10 for $2.99.

I assume these are correct since they look the same and its the same part number on my box.  The only problem may be if we put the wrong magnets in this box but since they look the same I think its the right ones.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/1/4-craft-power-magnets-179747/

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2013, 03:43:41 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen a 'bad' K3RG1, but this looks exceptionally tidy and pleasing, inside and out. Great job, thanks for sharing!

Offline Dark Navel

• Master Force User
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2013, 08:05:04 PM »
Excellent work as always MH.  Now where's that thumbs up icon?

Offline Forgetful Jedi Knight

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The old Jedi Master also commonly known as FJK
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2013, 08:10:32 PM »
Excellent work as always MH.  Now where's that thumbs up icon?

It's at that other place we hang at. ;)

May the force be with you all!

Remember... speak softly and carry a well constructed light saber! :)

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer whatever consequences your actions or words dictate

retrousse