fiduciary

Author Topic: First Time Saber Buyer  (Read 12459 times)

Offline Dave31416

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
First Time Saber Buyer
« on: June 10, 2014, 02:07:45 PM »
Hello all.

I've been bitten by the saber bug for the first time in as a fortysomething Star Wars fan with more money than sense (as my wife might say :-). I've been reading through the forums and getting a feel for the outstanding work of those here in the SABER Guild and can't tell you how impressed I am that craftspeople like this exist in the world. Hats (and cloaks) off to all of you.

My query is this: I'd like advice on buying a saber, preferably not custom (not rich), but something a step up from the Hasbro line. Here are my main wishes starting with most important to least important:

1. Brightness: I've seen some of the sabers in person and have been underwhelmed with their brightness. Without burning out my retinas (no real lasers, please :-), I'd like a saber that has an intensely fire-like red-orange color to it, Flash-on-Clash color is less important, although yellow or white would work great. Something that would look bright in a well-lit room as well as outdoors in the dark.

2. Hilt - doesn't have to be a replica of a character's saber, but I would like something approximating the same thickness and dimensions. As much as I admire some of the more slender sabers out there (what a massive engineering job to get those electronics in such a small space! wow), I like the idea of "heft" in my hand. Something the thickness of a large Maglite, perhaps. I'm 6"3, 275 and have slightly bigger hands than normal.

3. Sound - loud and clear, but not complex. Basic on, off, power up, power down, clash, etc. are all I need.

4. Blade - while I don't *plan* on dueling, I'd like a blade that could be whacked, say, against a tree when I've had a bad day that 99 times out of 100 wouldn't break. No, I doubt I'll ever be whacking a tree that hard. But I'd like to know if I drop it on the ground while practicing tricks with the saber that the LEDs won't break.

That's all that strikes me off the top of my head. I really, really love the simple designs of the VadersVault Havoc, but if it were a wee bit bigger ... that, and I'd like something with a wide blade holder so it "feels" like the thumb and forefinger are "protected".

Do any of the master sabersmiths here possibly have something like what I've described "lying around" ready for ordering?

Thanks for all your help,

Dave
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 02:13:34 PM by Dave31416 »

Offline Vercify

• Master Force User
  • rawr
Re: First Time Saber Buyer
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 02:12:29 PM »
Check out the Malakyte and Commando lines from LDM custom sabers, and the Ascend line from Genesis Custom Sabers. There is also the Force Relics Bellator line. These are all economically priced, duelable, and offer numerous customization options that you can choose from. I have an Ascend and a Commando saber and I love them both. The Ascend might be more for you, as it has a bit of a heft to it, while still being super comfortable. You also might like the Malakyte, as the shroud gives the emitter more detail and profile.

Anyways, check those out to start, I will update with links in a bit if I get a chance :) Oh, and welcome to the forums! Its a wonderful place here, just not for your wallet!

Offline Dave31416

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 02:15:09 PM »
Thanks! I'll get over there right now. Have a few days of vacation here in the summer to plan for upcoming holidays. My wife's told me I might need to combine my anniversary, birthday, and Christmas presents all in one for a lightsaber, but hey, you only live once. :)

Offline sithslayer1

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 03:25:42 PM »
Dave, those are all great sources, but also check out Vaders Vault. They have an affordable battle class line that are loud, bright and very well balanced in the hand. They also have a mid line category that may offer some slightly larger diameter hilts. Check out their website. Great sabersmiths, great service,  and great people to deal with!

Offline Dave31416

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 05:08:25 PM »
Hi Sithslayer and thanks for the input!

VadersVault was where I was initially going to order one, but then I saw a few of theirs alongside a Hasbro-sized Obi-wan. It seemed very thin (although *incredible* workmanship!). Maybe I'm wrong. Based on my clutching a MagLite, I'd say I'm looking for a hilt at least 1 1/2" to 1 5/8" in diameter.

Maybe a better question I should ask given how many sabers everyone here has is which models of VadersVault, Genesis, etc. are around that thickness? If anyone remembers what a 4 5/8 grip felt like on the old wooden tennis racquets, that might help. Heck, we could call it the Darth Borg if it's customized. :)

Offline Dave31416

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 10:24:07 PM »
Something I've noticed as I've looked at various sabers in use in videos without special effects: some seem to be brighter closer to the emitter rather than evenly bright along the length of the blade. Is that an unavoidable trade-off when replacing the fragile LED strips with a brighter, single source LED? It's not super annoying, but it does seem more obvious in certain colors (e.g., red and orange).

Offline E13azar

• Experienced Force User
  • Never tell me the odds!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 05:09:30 AM »
What you are probably noticing is what's called a corbin style blade it meant to flare at the emitter giving it a power core look. This also gives the fade up and down the blade effect but does make it duller as it goes up. I have had nicely even blades before without this style.

Here is a video example
CF Clan Style Saber w/ Corbin Style Battle Blade: CF Clan Style Saber w/ Corbin Style Battle Blade - YouTube

And link
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/LED-Corbin-style-Battle-blade-1-OD--P198.aspx

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 06:51:08 AM »
Dave, as far as our sabers, only the Combat Class have the slim 1.25" outer diameter as they were really made specifically for dueling in mind :).  All of our Champion Class hilts and many of our customs, do have thicker outer diameters.  If you want, shoot us an email at sabersmith@vadersvault.com and I can share with you some preliminary pics of our newest Champion Class saber which will be released on the site shortly after our upcoming move :D.

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Dave31416

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 06:59:56 AM »
E13azar: Yes, that must be it. It's a gorgeous effect. Does seem to be more obvious (to this amateur's eye) in the blue/green end vs. orange/red. I could be totally wrong or that could be an artifact of video compression or a million other things I know absolutely nothing about. LOL. But thank you for the link. That was very helpful.

LUMINARA UNDULI: I will indeed shoot you an e-mail. Love to see the work. Like I say, I can't see my fortysomething bulk doing much dueling (if I did, it'd be like Vader in Ep. 4 doped up on tranquilizers holding a saber in one hand and a sub sandwich in the other ... not pretty ... is there a Form -2? :-), but I'd like something that would last through inevitable drops as I learn cool tricks to show my dubious spouse or absorb a little punishment if I want to show off for my envious friends. :-)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 07:04:05 AM by Dave31416 »

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 08:44:57 AM »
Buy your spouse a saber too and they will be less dubious :)).  Chasing my husband around with a saber is one of the pleasures in life :)).

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Dansamir

• Force User
  • No...please...don't use my sabers like that
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 11:53:48 AM »
Heya Dave
Welcome to the forum! Am myself fortysomething Star Wars fan who just recently was smitten by the saber frenzy. In less than a year I have acquired 4 sabers. To some (read my nephew and niece) it is plain cool. Too most I just seem to have confirmed their prejudices about me, which can be summed up in one word: FREAKnNERD (or was it Frankenerd?).

I might step on some toes here on the forum (very sorry if that's the case) but maybe check out (in no special order)

-Makoto-tsai sabers (http://www.facebook.com/makoto.tsai?fref=ts). He makes strip based (ie with scrolling effect if that is your thing) super bright blades. He offered me to buy a Luke V2 like saber with sound for ~500 $. Havent bought anything from him but am considering. Maybe ask around here on the forum before you make a decision...

-There are other companies out there with nice enough sabers. Sabers which were relatively cheap, with good quality (ie duel-capable), decently bright LED. Service from some of the companies out there were not the best mind me... or the hilt I bought were a bit too toyish for my taste...

- Havent bought anything from JQsabers nor Vaders Vault but the little communication I have had with them I get the feeling they are supernice and really going out of their way to help out both with tech info and tips and tricks on sabers and in finding a saber suitable for your needs and desires.   

-The custom saber shop if you want to try build something yourself.

-And of course check this forum! Plenty of good offers. Have bought two sabers at this forum. Both of the members I bought the hilts from have been super-friendly and really helped out with questions/issues long after delivery.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 11:55:52 AM by Dansamir »

Offline Dave31416

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 10:37:36 PM »
Buy your spouse a saber too and they will be less dubious :)).  Chasing my husband around with a saber is one of the pleasures in life :)).

lol

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission, eh? I like that sales model. :)

Offline Dave31416

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 10:41:09 PM »
Hi Dansamir.

Wonderful list. Thank you. Good advice, too. As for people thinking me odd or nerdish for being a fortysomething lightsaber owner, I just point and laugh at their next tailgating party. Tell me, I ask them: what looks more ridiculous: a slightly pudgy grown man with a cool sword? Or a slightly pudgy grown man with a giant foam finger on his hand?

I choose the former. :)

Offline Evol

• Padawan Learner
  • Rey's secret lover
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 11:29:47 AM »
Hi :)

So, did you find what you were looking for ? I'm asking you that because I looking for the same kind of lightsaber than you are :) :

- Really bright one, that looks like a real one during the day and the night (so, like a real one xD).
- With basic sounds, like the real ones, or no sounds :)
- Well finished ones.
- Doesn't have to be a replica of a SW's character but with approximating the same thickness and dimensions.

So, basically, a lightsaber like a real one :) Can have some extra lights but no useless extra sounds or light effects.

After some research on the Internet, I ended up with those manufacturers:

- Parksabers: Look really nice, and have no sounds. But I wonder if the blade if bright enough, and if it's not too thin and flexible.
- Vader's Vault: Look also very very nice, but I wonder if the blade if bright enough, and has it not too much extra useless effects ?
- Makoto: Look very nice and very bright (maybe too much ? xD). Dont know very much, so need more informations on those ones :)

I also found those ones:
-Saberforge
-JQsabers
-TCSS
-Genesis Custom Sabers
-LDM custom sabers
-Force Relics

But didnt find real informations about them, so if you could help me :)

Ths guys, merry xmas ! :D
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 11:41:02 AM by Evol »

Offline sithslayer1

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2014, 03:21:16 PM »
I'd say right now, for a reasonably priced saber with sound and capable of medium-heavy dueling, your top choices are:

GG/LDM Custom Sabers (Malakite line)  Genesis Custom Sabers (Ascend line), Vader's Vault (Battle Class)- I have purchased from all three, and you couldn't find more talented and honest people to purchase from! They all offer some beautiful mid range designs at what most consider very reasonable pricing!

Force Relics are also quite good (Bellator line), but you will be hit with an import tax on top of the price, as they are in Europe.

retrousse